Front Spring Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Spring Pads

What is the downside to NOT running spring pads in the front? Is is mostly to minimize NVH? Has anyone run an upper pad and no lower or vice versa?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

you might get some noise in the cabin when hitting the bumps

Comment

I run no pads front and rear on my track car, no issues. Sounds like you're asking about street use though.

Aside from nvh, I suspect they're also to minimize abrasion ware on the perches. I doubt the ware would ever be enough to compromise them, but it will take the paint off. In that case it may be better to run lowers without uppers. Since the upper perch is replaceable.

Comment

OP, what are you hoping to achieve?
        Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by stevesingo View Post
          OP, what are you hoping to achieve?
          At this point this is just an inquiry. My reading has turned up instances where owners have indicated they don't run pads, some run lower and not upper and some vice versa. I am always looking for best practices and interested in how other owners configure their suspension and why, especially if it can / will improve my car's track performance (in this case handling).

For the record my car is currently setup 75% track and 25% street usage.
          1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

I've run both and it's not hugely different - I don't like the idea of running metal on metal however in an area like that exposed to road crap, water, etc. The thinner versions are very thing and don't affect ride height hugely.

On the fronts I am running the thicker upper pads both on top and down bottom with J-Stocks (and the thicker pad on the rear, 9mm I think). The front is around 10-15mm lower than the front but with the facelift non-M rear arches it looks a bit off, going to go back to the normal bottom pads. I may be reverting to H&R Sports in any case after I finish the track day season.
            JUNGL3

333i Sport - Alpina M52 3.3, E30 M3 5 Stud

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post

At this point this is just an inquiry. My reading has turned up instances where owners have indicated they don't run pads, some run lower and not upper and some vice versa. I am always looking for best practices and interested in how other owners configure their suspension and why, especially if it can / will improve my car's track performance (in this case handling).

For the record my car is currently setup 75% track and 25% street usage.
              The only conceivable reason why you would want to eliminate the rubber from between the suspension/spring/chassis is to have more certainty of the spring rate - the rate of the rubber components are indeterminate without testing. To take this roue would also necessitate the removal of all rubber from the suspension and replace with spherical bearings.

If this was the case, then you would want to make sure the suspension/spring/chassis interface was designed in such a way where the load imparted by the pring was spread evenly and the friction reduced to eliminate wear. Much the same as quality coilovers have their spring ends ground flat to mate with the perches.
              Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Working...
              X