Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post
    SECOND TRACK DAY - SUSPENSION UPDATE:

I continue to be impressed with the TMS J-Stock setup. Had my second track day yesterday (6/25) and lowered my time by 1.74 seconds from my previous PB achieved last week (6/19). Weather might have contributed to the time as it was cool (65 degrees) and the track was fresh – first session of the day. The car felt great and the interesting thing was I didn’t feel like I was pushing when I dropped that time. It actually surprised me when I saw it.

The other interesting item to note was the lateral acceleration I achieved in several corners. Based on the software I was running on my iPhone I saw 1.10G turning left and 1.18G turning right in several corners. I didn’t think the E30 chassis was capable of these numbers without significant modification (beyond just springs, dampers and sway bars). Think DTM suspension.

For a non-adjustable suspension this is quite impressive (at least in my opinion). Anyone thinking of going coil overs for the track needs to seriously consider the J-Stock setup.

So much fun . . .

Thanks for reading.

Mark
    I had thought about buying Turner J stock suspension at the end of last year. But decided against it because my car is gutted and J stock suspension was designed for a heavier car. So I ended up re valving my Billy's to J stock specs and used 600/800 pound springs. It's very compliant on the street surprisingly.

While my car is slightly different from your's I was surprised to see the amount of G's these cars can achieve as well. I use the same track app as you and routinely see 1.49g's at my local track. My car weighs 2430 with me in it and I've run NT01's, Hoosier r7 scrubs and currently run Nankang Ar-1's. I've pretty seen the same amount of g's with all 3 tires so far.

Comment

The J stocks are amazing. They just flat out work. They were the second best upgrade I've done on my car (next to getting rid of the 17 inch wheels for the 15s, that have been since compromised to 16 inch wheels so I have some ground clearance.) I'd love to put a G meter in my car to find out what sort of lateral grip the car has. Even on street tires I know its has a lot.

Will
      '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
      '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
        The J stocks are amazing. They just flat out work. They were the second best upgrade I've done on my car (next to getting rid of the 17 inch wheels for the 15s, that have been since compromised to 16 inch wheels so I have some ground clearance.) I'd love to put a G meter in my car to find out what sort of lateral grip the car has. Even on street tires I know its has a lot.

Will
        I have a set of 15 inch and 17 inch Kosei's. I am definitely faster around the track with the 17's. In the straights my top speed suffers with the 17's. I do love the way the 15's feel but If I'm going for a PB lap time I'd choose the 17's.

Comment

I have Lee Vuong's BBK Rally kit coming this Thursday and should have it installed before my next track day on 7/16. This should round out my upgrades for this year. Can't wait to see how this BBK performs. I am expecting a significant improvement in braking efficiency and power. The factory brakes while good for the street leave a lot on the table when it comes to the track (IMO).
          1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

I have Lee Vuong's BBK Rally kit coming this Thursday and should have it installed before my next track day on 7/16. This should round out my upgrades for this year. Can't wait to see how this BBK performs. I am expecting a significant improvement in braking efficiency and power. The factory brakes while good for the street leave a lot on the table when it comes to the track (IMO).
            My car wasn't taken care of before I got it and the brakes were in horrible shape. I've rebuilt the whole system which helped a ton. I too ordered the Massive kit and can't wait to see how much better they perform over stock. My stock brakes work well now but I'm hoping for a more consistent feel.

Are you going to leave the stock rear brakes or upgrade those as well?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwdayz View Post
              Are you going to leave the stock rear brakes or upgrade those as well?
              Staying with the stock rear calipers for now. I will be using a rear brake pad with a higher friction level as a means to offset the higher front bias the BBK provides.

1990 M3

Comment

Staying with the stock rear calipers for now. I will be using a rear brake pad with a higher friction level as a means to offset the higher front bias the BBK provides.
                I've deleted my ABS and installed an adjustable proportioning valve. And I've been using Hawk Dtc-60 pads front and rear on my car. They work very well

Comment

The goal with all my modifications is to be able to return the car back to OEM should i ever decide to sell it, minimizing any significant value hit by avoiding modifications that are not easily reversible or significantly change how the car came from the factory. The parts I have taken off (i.e. brake calipers, wheels) will be refreshed or rebuilt and boxed for the future. If a part has to be significantly modified I have purchased the identical part (which gets modified) and box and store the factory take-off part.

The only exception to all of this is the roll bar, however the floor holes can be welded over and painted. The trunk firewall holes (for the down tubes) will be hidden once the interior sound insulation, rear seat and the trunk trim panel (51471935689) is re-installed.
                  1990 M3

Comment

Working...
                  X