Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help in assessment of e30 m3 (underside etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in assessment of e30 m3 (underside etc)

Hey guys,

Been lurking this for a long time, love the forum. Finally ready to take the jump into purchasing an e30 m3 and have some questions. What are some key things to look for in terms of potential maintenance risks. And how does this underside look to you guys? Thanks so much in advance

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 5.54.52 PM.png
Views:	304
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	1290530
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 5.54.30 PM.png
Views:	349
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1290528
    Attached Files

Underside looks good, looks like you have some surface rust but no biggie. they can be rectified! Would help if you could get it on a lift and take Better pics of those spots .

Comment

Originally posted by pauliecarzz View Post
      Underside looks good, looks like you have some surface rust but no biggie. they can be rectified! Would help if you could get it on a lift and take Better pics of those spots .
      Awesome, thats promising news. Gonna go take a look tomorrow!

Comment

Check in as many places as you can for rust. Everything is fixable, but ultimately that's probably the priceiest and biggest PITA area to fix. That car looks pretty decent for a 30+ year old car from the E30's I've seen, but you can't check enough.

Prepare to learn to DIY if you don't already though...there's also a lot of resource out there so get searching for older buying guides. Hopefully you can pick up a car without too many niggly (or major) issues and enjoy the thing! Good luck
        JUNGL3

333i Sport - Alpina M52 3.3, E30 M3 5 Stud

Comment

Looks like someone has already been there spraying a black underseal on the chassis leg in the third pic, its all over the control arm and even the brake hose.
          This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Jacking points behind the front wheels & Battery Tray behind passenger rear tire are areas of concern.

Your second and third pictures looks like the car has been sprayed with an underseal as BMG pointed out.

Best of luck!
            1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
            1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
            1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Living in the UK and having spent a lot of money removing rust in my 22 years of ownership, here is where I would look - I've assumed the car has a sunroof:
              • Remove the plastic side skirts - it's not a big job and you must see the metal behind there and tap it with something metal so you can hear if there is rust or filler
              • Bottom of front wings - need the side skirts removed
              • Rear Number plate lights
              • The flat panel under the fusebox can crack
              • A-Posts to scuttle (lift out the air vents) under the windscreen wipers and feel around, look under the windscreen seal
              • Anywhere around the windscreen if it's not original as the fitters can scratch the paint and the rust starts..
              • Floor pan where the sunroof drains exit - at the front under the door hinges, at the rear inside the boot footwells
              • Seat belt mounts on transmission tunnel
              • Wheel arch inner
              • Anywhere under the car that has underseal that has a light brown colouring or is lumpy or bumpy - could have rust underneath.

Hitting all metal surfaces with something metallic is very useful.

Comment

Search for pictures in a post by me I posted some years ago of am M3 showing all the rust spots on am M3.

Comment

Check Right rear wheel well. The vent hose shown is covered by a stamped sheet metal cover that rusts and takes the well with it.

Source: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...e5#post7045102

Comment

Working...
                  X