Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Under dash harness routing question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Under dash harness routing question.

I am trying to figure out if all the wires are routed correctly under the dash. I see a harness pinned between the steering column and the duct to the left most HVAC vent. I cannot find a definitive answer on the internet. I just wanted confirmation, as it looks odd to have a harness squeezed between 2 things, potentially damaging it, but there are plenty of pictures on the internet that look like it and equally as many with the harness in front.

Well, I think I found the answer. After disassembly I noticed the HVAC duct has a groove to fit the harness, so the harness isn't pinched as I had originally assumed. I didn't pay attention initially when I assumed the harness was pinched, but thinking back, I could move the harness in an out a bit, but since my mind was already down one path, it didn't register the implications of that.

Comment

The wiring wrap in your car looks very clean and well preserved. Is it original?

Comment

All the wrapping you see with the 'gaps' is original. The one bundle in the foreground without the 'gaps' was just wrapped by me. I was going to wrap them all up before I put it all back together... but I got hung up on that bundle under the HVAC duct.

I figured the gaps appeared as the tape shrunk with age... Are you telling me that's how it's supposed to be?

Comment

I've only ever seen it with the gaps but you could be right, maybe it wasn't originally wrapped like that.

In my car the tape looks more dry and tattered.

Comment

My original tape is just so gooey... You have to wipe your hand with rubbing alcohol to get it clean after handling it. The new tape is tacky, rather than gooey.

Comment

Factory original is with the gap/spacing on the interior wiring loom. It leaves enough flexibility to fit the loom and have it follow contours it's laid along. No spacing makes it stiff very quickly.

Comment

Don't have to time wade through this rebuild thread on another forum, but it contains tons of pics showing pretty much all the wiring on disassembly and reassembly.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...eborn?t=319121
                This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Working...
                X