Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack Rebuild suggestions

Board,

I have an original rack in my e30 M3 and it needs to be rebuilt. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know it would be easy to slap in a Z3 or e46 rack in the car but I thought I would look at OE options first.

Thanks much in advance,

db
    88 e28M
    88 e30M s50b32
    93 e34M
    20 f87MC

I’ve used rackdoctor many times with good success.

https://shop.rackdoctor.net/1987-199...Pinion-733.htm

Comment

Unless your car is a 2,500 mile example I'd be looking at parts that improve on the overall experience verses retaining certain (deficient) OEM specifications. Everything I've read tells me the Z3 rack is a great upgrade.
      1990 M3

Comment

The problem with just everyone switching racks is it isnt a walk in the park for the airbag guys. Its not as easy for them.
        I honestly never thought the stock M3 rack to be very deficient. I always loved the feel.
        I swapped a manual Z4 rack into the race car mainly because I was already running my stock E30M3 rack manual and this one was lighter, and offered a tighter ratio, so it was win-win, but without the weight savings I probably never would have switched.

Both my street cars are on stock racks, If either started leaking, I'm not sure I'd bother to make the switch. I'd probably just rebuild.
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Great feedback and options.

Thanks a mill for the input!!

db
          88 e28M
          88 e30M s50b32
          93 e34M
          20 f87MC

Comment

IMO drive a car with a Z3 rack before you upgrade. Also like Jimmy was saying, on an airbag car you have to cut/notch/clearance the firewall to fit a Z3 rack, which I wouldn’t be caught doing on an M3, driver quality or not.

I did a Z3 rack in my iS and don’t like it, it’s too twitchy. The E46 3 turn rack with the heavy torsion bar (ZHP) is a much better option IMO for quickness as well as steering feel, but honestly I think the stock M3 rack is great.

Comment

I'll echo rack doctor as well. I got my m3 rack rebuilt last year from them.
              1987 325is - 185-195k
              1988 M3 - 141k

Comment

Wasn't it determined that the Z3 and e46 racks had a slightly different joint location so that in the event of an accident the steering rack wouldn't collapse properly when mounted to an e30 potentially increasing the severity of injuries to the driver?

Comment

I'm actually waiting on my new rack from Rackdoctor as we speak. I ordered it back in early Aug but their shop has been closed for a few weeks. They will accept your OEM as a core for 200

Comment

Working...
                  X