Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

Yep, what Marshall said.
    If you are in NYC you are a super easy drive to Pocono which is a nice, easy, flat, safe place to get a taste of a DE day, NJMP (yuck) isnt too far, Lime Rock and the Glen are all easy drives.
    You are surrounded by race track opportunities.
    As Marshal wrote the E30M3 is so misunderstood because its not a "great" street car, but on a race track its magic. So much fun. Cone out to an event and watch for a day to see what its all about then sign up for one. You will not regret it.

Great suggestion and something I always wanted to do . For starters i need to learn how to properly drift... any recos on a good driving course to sign up for with the M3?

Comment

Originally posted by fastricky View Post

Great suggestion and something I always wanted to do . For starters i need to learn how to properly drift... any recos on a good driving course to sign up for with the M3?
      LOL well you need to walk before you can run.
      Controlling a drift is just one tool in the toolbox of "driving".
      Just learning to control a drift would be like going to sears and buying one flat blade screwdriver.
      If that is an interest of yours first you should sign up for a DE at a track like Summit that has a skid pad. Thats the only good place (IMHO) to start down that path.
      BMWCCA skip pad instructors are fantastic.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

LOL well you need to walk before you can run.
        Controlling a drift is just one tool in the toolbox of "driving".
        Just learning to control a drift would be like going to sears and buying one flat blade screwdriver.
        If that is an interest of yours first you should sign up for a DE at a track like Summit that has a skid pad. Thats the only good place (IMHO) to start down that path.
        BMWCCA skip pad instructors are fantastic.
        Yes for sure point taken. On it Think I'd like more info so instead of hijacking this thread I'll start a new one... or do a search first.

Comment

Originally posted by njboy View Post

I said that more joking then complaining. The market for these cars is changing and if you are thinking of selling yours now maybe the height of the market.
          On BAT we saw a 8k mike 1989 sell for $250K
          Yesterday a 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo didn’t sell at $149K. Now granted the right people were in the room for the E30 M3 but these markets shift as people age. Of course our cars have lots of racing heritage from DTM to even F1! Who knows for sure if the peak is here or not.

I’m not thinking of selling. Wherever the market ends up though, it’s not a good buying tactic to offer 25% of market value to someone who isn’t selling. I don’t think they have room to go down much though. The value of a dollar decreases over time and so do the number of these cars. The numbers for the outliers is more outrageous than ever, but that 250k car is just that, an outlier.

Comment

Lol..."drifting" in its current popular context is not driving. It's just burning up tires. Drifting and e30m3 should not be used in the same paragraph. In e30m3 context it is "managing the tires slip angles while maximizing speed through a corner". ;-)

For good driving events, first check with your local bmwcca chapter. You could also run with other marque clubs like PCA and ACA. Lots of for profit groups offer events also.

Most of us instructors float around between all the clubs, so you will see many of the same faces no matter who is running there event.
            75 M2
            88 M3

Comment

For starters i need to learn how to properly drift...
              Jesus Fucking Christ . . . what? You want to drift an E30 M3? Next thing we'll be hearing about is how you bagged and slammed it. Hopefully I am wrong and you have a little more respect for the history and heritage of the model. Are you a card carrying member of the Flat Brim Boyz Club?

Maybe you meant to say you want to learn how to control a slide because you went too hot into a corner and got out of shape . . .
              1990 M3

Comment

Yes for sure point taken. On it Think I'd like more info so instead of hijacking this thread I'll start a new one... or do a search first.
                just an example for info.. this is the web page for the national capital bmwcca club with info about HPDE (driving schools).
                https://www.nccbmwcca.org/driving-ev...iving-schools/

getting up the gumption to attend a school is usually the biggest hold back to people attending....but...once you are there and come of the track for the first time...you are guaranteed a big stupid grin on your face and will be itching to get back out! it really is that much fun.

75 M2
                88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post

Jesus Fucking Christ . . . what? You want to drift an E30 M3? Next thing we'll be hearing about is how you bagged and slammed it. Hopefully I am wrong and you have a little more respect for the history and heritage of the model. Are you a card carrying member of the Flat Brim Boyz Club?

Maybe you meant to say you want to learn how to control a slide because you went too hot into a corner and got out of shape . . .
                  Haha yes that is exactly what I meant! If you watch say an episode of UK Top Gear where they drive a car fast around a track they do slide around corners? That's what I'm referring to... I'm most certainly not a frat boy poseur so I get your meaning... ahem!

Comment

• RAD2LTR
                    RAD2LTR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Drifting is the fastest way to make an awesome car a pile of shit. An E30 M3 is not about drifting its about sticking very very well. A properly set up E30 M3 will out handle just about anything on the street. Autocrossing, I have yet to lose to a later M car on street tires (I'd love to run mine on R compounds to see how close to top time of the day I can get.)

If you want to go drifting, go buy an E36 and destroy that. Better yet go buy a BRZ or some other disposable car.

Haha yes that is exactly what I meant! If you watch say an episode of UK Top Gear where they drive a car fast around a track they do slide around corners? That's what I'm referring to... I'm most certainly not a frat boy poseur so I get your meaning... ahem!
                  Top Gear and also Chris Harris have done WAY more bad than good in illustrating how NOT to drive a car at a race track.
                  Whatever they do,,, you do not want to do.
                  They represent the "TV" way,,, may as well be a clown car.
                  Nothing you see there is the right way to do "anything".
                  Enjoy it for pure entertainment and forget it as soon as you get behind the wheel of a real car.
                  jimmy p.
                  87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                  88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                  88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                  92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                  98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                  04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I am gonna weigh in from the curmudgeon wing, and say that I think drifting is lame. It is a subjective competition. Drifting is to motorsports what synchronized swimming is to legitimate swimming competition. I'm not necessarily saying that I think drifting is easy, it is probably challenging to learn. I just don't see any reason to learn it. It's like putting a lot of time and effort into learning to drive long distances at high speed....backwards. Why?

My normal attitude is "live and let live".....but in this case it's almost like drifting is the only motorsport that interests enthusiasts under 30. So many competition shops and parts manufacturers and race teams now concentrate solely on drifting.

Meh, I'm just ranting. Do what you want. Even if it is totally lame and pointless....
                    Last edited by Ironhead; 09-19-2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Maybe we can get back on topic...

hamletl my dad bought an E46 M3 earlier this year and I thought it had a usable power band for the street (and great induction noise). You might want to try an E36 and just find that right amount of modern/analog/speed/feel somewhere between the 2002 and the E46! Although the E9x M3s are the “best buy” right now... prices are super low and you can get a really nice one for under 30k. Not counting Lime Rock or special editions...
                      1989 Lachs
                      1988 Lachs - sold
                      1988 DS - sold
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Konig View Post
                        Maybe we can get back on topic...

hamletl my dad bought an E46 M3 earlier this year and I thought it had a usable power band for the street (and great induction noise). You might want to try an E36 and just find that right amount of modern/analog/speed/feel somewhere between the 2002 and the E46! Although the E9x M3s are the “best buy” right now... prices are super low and you can get a really nice one for under 30k. Not counting Lime Rock or special editions...
                        I might get banned for this, but even if the e36 and e30 were the same price, and I were forced to get rid of one, I'd keep the e36 without even thinking twice.

Comment

Top Gear and also Chris Harris have done WAY more bad than good in illustrating how NOT to drive a car at a race track.
                          Whatever they do,,, you do not want to do.
                          They represent the "TV" way,,, may as well be a clown car.
                          Nothing you see there is the right way to do "anything".
                          Enjoy it for pure entertainment and forget it as soon as you get behind the wheel of a real car.
                          So. Much. To. Learn. Thank you!

Comment

I'll argue the other side a little bit, just for fun. Driving sideways is a lot of fun. One of the things I love about living where it snows is being able to be sideways everywhere at 20 mph. I was stationed in Fairbanks, driving a 318Ti Sport, and had consistent ice / snow for 7 months out of the year. Second gear, 20 mph, sideways all the time. In situations like that, penalty for failure is very low. So, driving sideways is a lot of fun- feel like a rally car driver. Is it fast? Not necessarily. Is it fun? Can be.

But is the e30m3 a good choice? Probably not for actual drifting by the modern standards. But that's one of the amazing things about the car, no? That it hooks up so well, so exploit that.

And every once in a while, when there's snow in the neighborhood, I roll the M2 out and hoon a bit- because 2nd gear, 20 mph and sideways on the lock is a lot of fun, too.

Dave.
                            76 M2

Comment

Oh, and on topic, I went from a hot rodded e46m3 to a 2002 to an m2 (2002 with e30m3 stuff.) At first the s14 is VERY underwhelming. After a while it all grows on you and it's just so much fun- I don't miss having a fast car at all. Much more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow...
                              Dave.
                              76 M2

Comment

Working...
                              X