Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z8 vs. Z3 shifter

Hi all,

I'm looking to install either a Z8 or Z3 shifter. Does anyone know which one has shorter throws? I actually value smoothness more than anything else (even the Rogue SSK with weighted shifter rod) was too notchy for me. In other words, I want the one with LONGER throws.

I've used the Z3 shifter on a 325is with good results, however, the 260 box is smoother shifting anyway. I know the M3 box wont be as smooth.

TIA,
    Joe
    2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
    1995 Porsche 993
    2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
    2004 Ford F-150 FX4
    2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
    1985 BMW M635CSI
    2001 BMW M3
    1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

why not just buy a stock shifter then? :idea:

Comment

That's what I have right now - really smooth. Hoping to shorten the throws alittle without compromising the smoothness.
      1995 Porsche 993
      2004 Ford F-150 FX4

Gone:

1985 BMW M635CSI
      2001 BMW M3
      1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

we at bpg can get you a SSK that retains factory shift effort while reducing the throw 33%. PM me for more info.

Dan
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanGillan
          we at bpg can get you a SSK that retains factory shift effort while reducing the throw 33%. PM me for more info.

Dan
          thats impressive...i've never felt any short shifter that kept the factory shift effort 100%....

it's impossible IMHO...unless you're making up for the added effort by removing friction or something some other way.:borg:

Comment

oh an i noticed you're selling Ron's shifters.... I know Ron well...i have installed a bunch of shifters with him

keeping the stock effort is completely untrue for his shifters...while they are great...and i recommend him and his products to any and everyone...they do increse the effort....i've installed them on 2 e36 m3's, an e39 m5, and a couple other cars i dont remember now...i followed his ideas for my own SSK on my and my brother's e30's

Comment

My current plan is to install a longer than stock shifter....I hate the way this car shifts and am willing to try anything to improve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead
                My current plan is to install a longer than stock shifter....I hate the way this car shifts and am willing to try anything to improve it.
                ala the dtm shift lever? I have been thinking about getting this part too. The z3 kit isn't bad, but i'm curious as to what experiences people have with the dtm lever. Was there ever a concensus as to the price of the DTM lever?
                1990 e30 m3

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead
                  Just make sure youre not making up for something that is off by using extra force(aka the longer lever)...as this could cause tranny probs

Comment

Anyone try the Z8 lever?
                    1995 Porsche 993
                    2004 Ford F-150 FX4

Gone:

1985 BMW M635CSI
                    2001 BMW M3

Comment

jmarch,

I don't believe many people try it or know if it works... most upgraded to the Z4 shifter.

Check out this thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/vie...shifter&t=5004

It is full of information (and misinformation)...

Some who want a shorter shift but taller shifter agree that the X5 shifter works...but I haven't seen photos of it compared to the other stock shifters...

Comment

Hell with shifters...

I am starting a fund to equip my car with a sequential gearbox...who would like to contribute?

Comment

Ever since you saw that post...lol...

Comment

Working...
                          X