Guys that have gone gasket-less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys that have gone gasket-less

I know this subject has been discussed a lot here but checking in to see how our engines are doing in the long term going gasket-less. My S14 is up on the stand and it’s never been opened before and it leaks at the usual areas. The upper pan, around the cam chain tensioner etc. I want to seal it up dry this time like a modern engine.
    There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

I am gasketless, except for the essential headgasket, cam/crank seals and valve cover gasket. I used Yamabond 4+ motorsport but a similar gasket maker will suffice. It's been about 10 years now and not a drop of oil. I just finished doing the same with my M20 2.7i turbo engine and I highly recommend it.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Basically the same as Reelizmpro, except I went gasketless around 2006 and have not had a leak since. I use Permatex 518 and have found it to be pretty much idiot-proof. The only real mistake people make with it is to use far too much, which doesn't really hurt anything...it just makes a mess. I typically use a continuous bead between 1/16" and 1/8" in diameter.

Honestly, this stuff is the future and new engines nowadays use very few gaskets, only in critical applications like head gaskets.

To further sell the point, a lot of the OEM BMW gaskets for the S14....well....suck.

Comment

When assembling your engines without seals like the original, be sure to check the gap between the oilpump pick up and the lower oil sump.

Comment

Originally posted by Mortimer View Post
          When assembling your engines without seals like the original, be sure to check the gap between the oilpump pick up and the lower oil sump.
          morti, can you explain the reason for this so us shade tree hacks can benefit?

thanks!
          1988 BMW M3
          2010 Ferrari 599
          2013 BMW X1

Comment

Originally posted by Steve88M3 View Post

morti, can you explain the reason for this so us shade tree hacks can benefit?

thanks!
            because the oil pan gaskets lower the oil pan more than just a bead of sealant does and the oil pump pickup is close to the oil pan....
            88 M3 Henna
            95 M3 Orange
            97 M3 Techno

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post

because the oil pan gaskets lower the oil pan more than just a bead of sealant does and the oil pump pickup is close to the oil pan....
              Thanks!

Also check the alignment of the v-belt as 2 seals come out from under the water pump and 1 under the generator mount. The position of the crankshaft pulley does not change.
              8000 rpm revving motor does not like an indirect V-beltline.

Comment

There’s Yamabond, Hondabond, Fujibond and dare I say Jamesbond. Sorry couldn’t resist.

There are a lot of options for sealing it seams.
                Permatex offers RTV silicone gasket makers and anaerobic for things inside the motor.
                Permatex also offers products like Tack and Seal which works with gaskets and improves the gasket’s performance.
                Then there is the older Hylomar stuff that I have used in the past with mixed results.
                Thank you for your responses.
                Ive decided to go with Permatex 518 and thread sealer on some bolts that seam to breach into oil galleries like a bolt that holds the coolant pipe over the exhaust header. I will still use a valve cover gasket and use a gasket for the water pump.

There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Working...
                X