• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billet Block Convo on FB

Very interesting. If you use Facebook, you can see the convo here:
    https://www.facebook.com/841453577/v...9067510068578/
    Attached Files

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

woah.
    I'm not a facebooker but thats a pretty picture. Wonder what it weighs????
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

As cool as it is I can’t imagine shelling out $10k for a block.

Comment

The starter is on the wrong side
        Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

The idea is sure intriguing. Lots of popular performance engines now have a billet alternative, but as mentioned above...the price is always fairly prohibitive. I would wager that $10K is about right.

Comment

Originally posted by stevesingo View Post
            The starter is on the wrong side
            That's a pic of an audi 5 clyinder block the poster on FB showed for reference. There was another guy that posted one a few months back also, plus VAC has one in the works. I totally get the work and effort that goes in to development but I'll never buy a $10k block!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
              woah.
              I'm not a facebooker but thats a pretty picture. Wonder what it weighs????
              I think he mentions not that much lighter with the additional webbing/4 bolt mains etc etc. The stock one is what, 75lbs? They could possibly shave 10-15lbs off of that?

it was the custom bell housing bolt patterns that were discussed that was more intriguing. You could nail down a sweet bolt on sequential that is mass produced instead of making the compromise all the time.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post

I think he mentions not that much lighter with the additional webbing/4 bolt mains etc etc. The stock one is what, 75lbs? They could possibly shave 10-15lbs off of that?

it was the custom bell housing bolt patterns that were discussed that was more intriguing. You could nail down a sweet bolt on sequential that is mass produced instead of making the compromise all the time.

Tony
                I would say yeah alternative bolt patterns would be nice since its a clean sheet a paper, but after having gone through it, trans adaption is actually pretty easy.

The harder part is getting the stuff downstream correct with no vibrations and all your angles happy..
                Actually bolting any trans to any engine is not that hard (especially our S14s with the separate bell housing).
                Now that I've done it once I wouldnt hesitate to do it again if I were to find a better / lighter / more reliable /etc / etc trans. The trans to the engine part was easy.
                jimmy p.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Gents,

Do you guys know what Interesting I find and I really never understood why these people never state the Weight !!!!!!!!!! VAC made Alu Billet S54 block all nice and sweet sexy 5 Axis CNC Centroid machine cool videos etc etc...and no weight comparison was ever stated and released.

If I were to made a part which the main Goal for this is pure Weight that will be the first thing to "Shout" Until tooooday no one knows nor under the VAC description of their billet block the weight is stated between the cast iron block and their aluminum billet block.

These people never understood that nothing wrong to state the truth, for example the difference between Billet and Cast iron is let say 35pounds. By stating the weight difference, it will Filter those with very low budget to those who are after every pound !!!! I have 1 customer with S54 who does not count how much is he spending on the engine.

The low budget S54 guys will of course pass this like fuck that 10k grand for 35pounds I rather lose that off the belly....

Much same with the E30M3, there are people who don't care spending $7k 8 9 10 grand on S14, and there people who will re-use the std cast pistons with new rings, nothing wrong whit that. We all have sensible limits which we ofter pass over.

Weird.

Regards,
                  Anri

sigpic

- 1990 E30 M3 DS Shwartz S38-B36 (3.6) Sold ! But never forgotten.
                  - 1990 E30 M3 DS Euro S38-B38 3.8 340hp. I promise, I will hide the 2 cyl under the dash which "Engine King". Mr. Paul Rosche took away to make the S14...
                  - 1988 E24 M6 Shwartz/Track Toy S38-B36 Goal is close to 50/50 I pushed the engine almost 15 inches for weight distribution will see...
                  - 1988 E24 M6 Shwartz/Natur, Daily driver.
                  - S38 is an addiction, enthusiastic manner and the perfect match for my E30 M3.

Comment

Not publishing the weight suggests to me that the weight saving is underwhelming. If it was impressive that info would be in easy to find.

With my funding it would be silly to replace my block with this aluminum version. However, if someone needed a new block due to engine failure, then it would be nice to have some options. Yes, it’s still quite a premium over the stock block, but they also have the perk of being ‘rebuildable’. The cylinders are sleeved so if you had a failure you can save the block. Also, it’s only a matter of time before the supply of stock blocks dries up and the price difference isn’t so large.

Whether I can afford it or not, I applaud the innovation. Maybe a billet head next

Comment

Totally agree^ maybe bmw will see this and may produce more 2.3/2.5 blocks seeing competition is on the horizon
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X