Help needed on New Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed on New Tyres

God day to all. Was wondering if someone here can guide as to what tires a 1990 M3 should wear nowdays. It is time to change my tires but I am not sure what tires to buy. Can anyone suggest a brand and specific type that would be the best fit for the car?

I pretty much go to Tirerack.com put in my tire size and then do a sort of the list by 'user rating' and narrow my choices down to the highest rated tires that have the most user feedback miles attached to them. (I'm amazed by the amount of feedback from people who put like 5 miles on the tires and give their feedback. I'm looking for extended use feedback...) Then I look at the test results for each of my choices and narrow my choice down by focusing on the performance qualities I'm after. I also build a comparison list and compare the test results that way too.
    Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
    • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
    • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
    • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
    • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
    • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
    • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
    • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
    • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
    • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

any summer performance tire that is the right size. just NOT all season tires...
      75 M2
      88 M3

Comment

15 are much better then 16 basically only 4 in 16 many are good but not great all depends on your driving style and usage
        Mike

Comment

Mlytle, any reason for your recommendation against all season tires? I get that all season tires will compromise performance to gain usability in more than summer, but my experience has been that summer performance tires today offer far more grip than the performance tires the M3 had when they were delivered new 30+ years ago. I was thinking that an all season tire today might actually be closer to the performance of the original summer performance tires.

Comment

Hi Kost,
            Do you still have the 15s? I do. I have had 2 sets of the Yoko S drives in 205/55. They are decent tires. Not a lot of grip, but they communicate the grip very well to you. My only 2 negatives with those! A) The lower grip levels lead to braking distances that are longer than what your 30 year newer DD is capable of these days (cars, not SUVs or CUVs)... B) each set lasted me 3K-4K miles on a street driven car with ZERO track time.
            Currently I have Pirelli Pzeros in 225/50 and after 8K miles are about 60% left, so while you pay more up front, they last longer. Having said that they are due for replacement as they are 2013 date codes, so it makes more sense if you drive more miles than me... I got them in 2015. Due to the low sales numbers, they are likely to be a couple of years old by the time you get them, as I can imagine them being produced at the rate of 1 lot once in a long while. They offer significantly more grip and stiffness, communicate about as well in a different way. But they ride noisy and the harshness is very sensitive to tire pressure. At 30-31psi they feel compliant while at 34psi they feel harsh.

I also feel that the Yokos flat spot worse than the Pzeros, but if memory serves me right the Yokos 'rounded out' quicker than the Pzeros when you drove them. But I would suggest not parking either on concrete and not letting the car sit any longer than a week undriven.

Narayan

Comment

I just wanted to add, while the Yokos only lasted 3-4k miles, I had a lot more fun with them. But we have deer and turkey and the braking distance was alarming.

Comment

Unfortunately for the OP the tire selection is pretty limited. Based on my research combining what is available from Tire Rack and Discount Tire I've come up with this:

The Yoko S-drive tire is no longer available in North America in the correct size. Likewise the P-Zeros. Basically you are stuck with the above. Based on the above it is hard to make a recommendation as the OP has not disclosed what his driving style is, what kinds of weather he drives the car in, or where he is located (for purposes of determining tire characteristics).

Kost - good luck in your decision process.
                1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

• Narayan3
                  Narayan3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mwagner10702, The Fleva should be similar to the sdrive... I just did a search on tirerack -the 225/50/15 size is still available on the PZero System.

• mwagner10702
                  mwagner10702 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Narayan3 - Yes the P ZERO SYSTEM (COLLEZIONE) is available on Tire Rack. I left it off of my list as it was $330 per tire. The OP lives in Europe so the selection there will be different than what is available in the states. Sounds like he has a handle on what he likes.

Originally posted by Chris W View Post
                Mlytle, any reason for your recommendation against all season tires? I get that all season tires will compromise performance to gain usability in more than summer, but my experience has been that summer performance tires today offer far more grip than the performance tires the M3 had when they were delivered new 30+ years ago. I was thinking that an all season tire today might actually be closer to the performance of the original summer performance tires.
                all season tires should really be called "NO season" tires. they are an across the board compromise attempt to have a comfortable ride, long life and handle everything from light snow to cold to rain to hot summers. as a result of trying to do too much, they do nothing well. summer tires are the right choice for a sports car like the M3 that is driven generally in seasons other than winter. i don't know why anyone would deliberately try to hamstring the performance of the car by trying to find tires that operate at the level tires did 30+ years ago. tire technology has vastly improved for the better. the M3 is well suited to take advantage of that improvement. more braking and turning grip and better steering feel make the car a lot more fun, and safe, to drive.

the yoko s.drives have been out of production for several years...the updated replacement is the Advan Fleva. it is better. i know several folks that have them on their E30's and like them a lot. perfect for those who want stock size, sunday drive or do some spirited driving. not for those who really want push the car on track or auto-x.

those that want stay with stock 15's and push the car are left with having to bump up a size to 225/50 15. several super sticky (200tw) tires available in that size. they fit on stock wheels and are the same diameter as the stock size. i have a set of the Yoko A052s and they are OUTSTANDING!
                75 M2
                88 M3

Comment

Dear All,

thank you very much for the feedback! It is very much appreciated.

From my research I have concluded the following:

Taking into account that I live in Europe and the car is Euro spec and also that I drive it on weekends and never take it on track the recommendations I have thus far are: a. the continental eco contact 6 b. the Uniroyal (was OEM) Rainsport5 and c. the goodyear performance efficient Grip. And these for the original size of 205/55/15 88v.

I am thinking of trying on the Rainsport 5 and see how this fits and travels. I agree with someone that said that new technology may prove beneficial for the car as it has better grip and braking.

Will get back to the group with results!

Thank you again for the feedback. Any further feedback please feel tree to post.

K

Comment

I always found that what made the M3 so special was that delicate balance it had both in handling versus power and also in the neutrality of its handling. Driven above 8/10 it was very easy to turn into the corner with near neutrality and adjust corner exit by a few inches just by adding a little more power either before or after apex to shift slightly to a little oversteer towards corner exit.

Technology is always advancing, and generally more advanced technology is better than outdated technology, but adding more basic grip without a corresponding increase in power and you may find that you could lose that delicate balance that allows you to adjust the attitude of the car so easily mid corner. That's what I found when I switched from the stock 205/55R15 to 225/45R16, and it's also why I've switched back to the stock size tires. I'm sure I was faster with the 225/45R16 since I wasn't losing any power to slide slip and was able to instead direct the power to forward thrust, but it just wasn't fun anymore. It was just another modern car where you just use basic grip to complete the corner arc as quickly as possible and then open up the throttle when the road straightens.

Honestly, if that's the style of cornering that appeals to you, a Mustang or a Corvette would do that better and both would be far faster than a 30+ year old BMW like for like.

Comment

Working...
                    X