X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• h&R coil spring pads info needed??

hi guys
    preparing parts needed for spring .
    I plan on installing H&R sport springs . I already have sport bilsteins .
    what pads do I need for the front and back <thickness>? are these different than stock ones?

Run them with stock pads until they settle. Then if you find yourself happy/unhappy with ride height you can go thicker, thinner, or add e90 drop hats in the front.

Comment

These will be used most probably and really don’t want to take the front shocks apart twice

Comment

Originally posted by Westopher View Post
        Run them with stock pads until they settle. Then if you find yourself happy/unhappy with ride height you can go thicker, thinner, or add e90 drop hats in the front.
        Data point. In all the suspensions I have put on cars, I have never had anything "settle".

Drop hats are a bad way to lower a car. They significantly reduce the available shock travel which is already compromised by shorter springs.

I used 15mm pads in rear and 3mm pads in front for the H&R sports on two cars. Just right. Those are not the stock thickness.

75 M2 Zinno
        88 M3 Henna

Comment

For thé front it’s the upper pad to change to 3mm
          and the rear it’s the lower or upper ? Bmw does not list 15mm from what I saw
          thanks

Comment

Yes. Rear lower.

They are bmw parts from other BMWs. Go to the Bimmerworld website for detail.
            75 M2 Zinno
            88 M3 Henna

Comment

An only find upper rear in 15mm , can’t find lowers in different sizes .

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...pring-Pad.html

Comment

• mlytle
                mlytle commented
                Editing a comment
                That is it. Lower.

Ahh ok great.
              Is this a mistake it says lower for this part ?

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...E30-E36ti.html

Comment

• mlytle
                mlytle commented
                Editing a comment
                Can be used in either place.

while you have the front suspension apart, make sure those front billy's have the bumpstops cut or you will be riding on them.
              75 M2 Zinno
              88 M3 Henna

Comment

Thanks for being so helpful do How much should I cut ?number 5?

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...ock_absorber_2

Comment

post #24 in this thread
                  https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...d-shock-to-buy

#5 is not used with billys. the bump stop is internal to the damper.
                  75 M2 Zinno
                  88 M3 Henna

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post

Data point. In all the suspensions I have put on cars, I have never had anything "settle".

Drop hats are a bad way to lower a car. They significantly reduce the available shock travel which is already compromised by shorter springs.

I used 15mm pads in rear and 3mm pads in front for the H&R sports on two cars. Just right. Those are not the stock thickness.

Good advice. I wouldn't really advocate for drop hats either, just throwing it out there as some people care more about function than form. Is your car in the photo on H&R sports? Also, is 3mm pads less than stock, 15mm larger? I like the ride height of your car more than mine with the sports. My car has a little more rear drop it seems and I don't love the saggy diaper look it has a bit of.

Comment

• mlytle
                      mlytle commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes...h&r sports. Stock front is 7.5mm I think. Stock rear are 5 or 10 iirc. I played with several sizes of spring pads on both ends to get it where it sits. Yes, ended up thicker in rear and thinner in front.

I am a function over form type. Mine is 90% street car. Lower in front got too close to curbs, lower in rear caused too much negative camber. I apparently don't get the "no gap" concept! :-)

for comparison, this is pic of my car on the h&r's with the original stock thickness pads. looks like yours...nose high, tail low.

75 M2 Zinno
                    88 M3 Henna

Comment

I think when I feel like lighting some money on fire I will pick up some KWs so I can dial it in, but definitely some larger pads in rear will help me out until that day comes. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

• mlytle
                        mlytle commented
                        Editing a comment
                        pads to change the rear are cheap and easy.......:-)

sorry still confused , I am ordering the parts for he front pads in 3mm .
                      the upper and the lower ones say 3mm on both. ,do I order the upper or lower ones in 3 mm?
                      31331128523 Spring pad upper 3MM. or. 31331124322 Spring pad lower 3MM

thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X