Megasquirt questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megasquirt questions

For those that have converted to Megasquirt. This is for a stock S14, using EDIS, with Megasquirt MS2 extra.
    1. Is there a current consensus on the best tooth combo for the trigger wheel?
    2. Could anyone send me a base map?
    Thanks for any suggestions!

Haven't been on the forum in a long while, and just sold my car (checking in to research something for someone as I sell parts), but I was pretty far down the rabbit hole with Megasquirt.

I believe mine was MS3 / 3X, 3.57 SMD board. I used a 36-1 trigger wheel from Massive, I may actually still have one or two of these for sale in my parts. I also used a cam trigger off of a "Standoff" bolt on the intake cam sprocket.

Can't help with a base map, my car was not close to stock.

I did not use EDIS, I went direct coil control with an igniter and a Coil on Plug setup after considering all the options. But, My car also had a completely custom harness.

Not on here much, will see if I can get email notifications but I can probably be found through the S14.net FB Group and I just sent a big parts for sale email out to the SIG if you want to track me down there with questions.
    sigpic
    Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

Originally posted by idickers View Post
      For those that have converted to Megasquirt. This is for a stock S14, using EDIS, with Megasquirt MS2 extra.
      1. Is there a current consensus on the best tooth combo for the trigger wheel?
      2. Could anyone send me a base map?
      Thanks for any suggestions!
      I have a complete setup from a friend that sold his car, and if I can get into the ECU ill send you a base map. He used the ford edis and a 36-1 crank trigger.

T

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post

I have a complete setup from a friend that sold his car, and if I can get into the ECU ill send you a base map. He used the ford edis and a 36-1 crank trigger.

T
        That would be great, thanks!

Comment

I'm on 60-2, and Jim is using 36-1, both on Haltech. Don't know if any of the maps will help, but you're welcome to what I have.
          Dave.
          76 M2

Comment

I've been running Megasquirt for years now. I installed it on my S14 after the engine was rebuilt to a 2.5L using 292/284 cams. I never ran EDIS. I am using 36-1 wheel and wasted spark via a Ford coil pack. I started out with a MS2 extra that I assembled myself. Now I'm using a MS3 pro.

If you are going to use EDIS, I'm fairly sure you must use a 36-1 wheel. Also if you use EDIS, you will have to clock the wheel so that the missing tooth is exactly 9 teeth ahead of the VR sensor. Some more detailed info is available here. When I built my MS I decided to add a second ignition driver transistor have the MS drive the wasted spark coils directly. This let me avoid the EDIS control module. Since I wasn't using the EDIS module, the orientation/clocking of the toothed wheel didn't matter. The missing tooth angle can be set in MS to accommodate any toothed wheel clocking.

There are pros and cons to using EDIS. Some pros would be that you could avoid the need for ignition drivers in MS altogether. The ignition drivers can create signal noise in MS. Similarly, if you use EDIS, you won't need the VR circuit in MS. Since I opted not to use EDIS, I'm not expert on it. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to help you find an answer about EDIS or MS.

I don't mind sharing a base map, but I do worry that it might hurt you more than it would help. Our engines and MS setup may be different enough that my tune wouldn't work well for you.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the response. I've had an untested MS2 sitting in my closet for about 12 years, and am now at the point that I need standalone. I've thought about upgrading and have been debating about the advantages of MS3Pro vs MS2extra for the S14. What would you recommend based on your experience?

Comment

What have people used for cam sensors? I've seen complete kits from VAC, or machined covers designed to take the factory sensor. In the latter case, do you use the factory trigger wheel from an S38 or is there an alternative?

Comment

I went 60-2 18lb flywheel and the cam trigger kit both from vac. The flywheel let's you just use the stock sensor and the vac cam trigger kit comes with it's own. If you aren't doing the harness yourself you may want to consult who is.

Comment

Originally posted by proctor750 View Post
                    I went 60-2 18lb flywheel and the cam trigger kit both from vac. The flywheel let's you just use the stock sensor and the vac cam trigger kit comes with it's own. If you aren't doing the harness yourself you may want to consult who is.
                    That's interesting; what flywheel has the 60-2 teeth? Is that stock? I will admit I have not counted but I thought it was more.

Comment

So technically there is one pickup point on my stock flywheel, the teeth behind that is for the starter. The one I got from vac is an aftermarket steel unit that they shave off two of the pickup points.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	vac 60-2 vs stock.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1300630

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info and picture.

Comment

Originally posted by idickers View Post
                          What have people used for cam sensors? I've seen complete kits from VAC, or machined covers designed to take the factory sensor. In the latter case, do you use the factory trigger wheel from an S38 or is there an alternative?
                          One of the parts for the stock s38 stuff is NLA- the cover itself. I found the parts via a WTB ad here, but it's someone's old stock sitting around or the VAC kit, best I can tell. I also rang Blunt about a cover that JimK has on the intake cam side for a position sensor, but they said that one is NLA also. They can also get the rest of the parts.
                          Dave.
                          76 M2

Comment

There is one alternative to the VAC $$ kit that I was looking at, which is made by MRT Engineering. They say it is made to fit M20/M30/S38 engines, but when I asked they said it would not fit the S14. Aren't' the S38 and S14 engines essentially the same, minus 2 cylinders for the S14? If the stock S38 piece should fit the S14 I would assume this should as well. Add a cam position sensor for an M50/52/54 and you are good to go for about half the VAC price.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	S14_S38_Cam_Box.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1300720 I think it will fit because the O-ring (#18 for the S14 on left, and #9 for the S38 on right) are listed as the same size, making me think the hole is the same size.

Comment

Working...
                              X