Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get Stromung muffler on SS center

Hi all
    I am swapping out my B&B triflo muffler for a Stromung box to quiet my car down just a little bit. I have a super sprint center section and I'm having a hell of a time getting the Stromung to slide over the pipes on the super sprint. I can get it a few inches on but I still need to go a few more. I've tried using a torch to heat up the muffler side pipes, lubricating the pipes, smacking a piece of wood with mallet, twisting..... No dice.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like you could use an exhaust tube expander. Alternatively, you could try slotting the tube to give it some relief.

Comment

Do you have a SS Race center or the street w/ resonator center. I think they were two different size tubing with the race unit being larger tubing.

Another theory is that I "think" Stromung is a US mfg and Supersprint is true European.
      Maybe a slight mismatch of sizes between true Metric tubing of the SS and US based muffler mfg?

Regardless, it doesnt slide on so if I were in your place I would do exactly what Mick said (a) get an expander and open the muffler a little --or-- (b) slot the muffler so it allows expansion as it slides on.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Hi Kevin,
        I use some clamps that originally were used on a 5 series, 2.8, that fit over both the rear of the cat and the front of the muffler. That way you don't need to weld anything, and they separate later as well, if you use some anti seize compound.
        Larry

Comment

Thanks guys. It's a street resonated SuperSprint center section. I can get it started, and it slides on a few inches but need to get in on a few inches further.

I think slotting it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin///m3 View Post
            Thanks guys. It's a street resonated SuperSprint center section. I can get it started, and it slides on a few inches but need to get in on a few inches further.

I think slotting it makes sense.
            I would think a few inches would be enough? cut off the excess and slot one side and clamp it down.

T

Comment

I had a Supersprint center section without resonator that didn't want to mate with the muffler. I think there was cross member near the rear hanger that tied the two Supersprint pipes together. The pipes in muffler did not quite align with the pipes in the center section. Likely one set of pipes was spaced a little closer, center to center, than the other. For example, the muffler pipes may have been 2.25" center to center and the SS pipes were 2.30". Anyway, the SS cross member wouldn't allow center section pipes to flex and conform the the spacing of the muffler pipes. I could get the center section to engage a bit but not enough to install the system.

Caveat - I bet the other guys are right and it's a diameter mismatch that a tube expander would remedy.

Comment

Working...
              X