Sport Evo Front Splitter Install Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Evo Front Splitter Install Question

I recently purchased a Sport Evo Undertray with CF Splittler from Markus and I am trying to install it onto my stock US version bumper. The attached picture from Real Oem shows the bolts going through the bottom of the splitter into the long rubber pieces that have the nutserts in them and then those pieces going through the undertray and into the bumper. Is this correct? Is the lip basically just held on by the friction of the rubber into the undertray/bumper? If so, is this to protect against damage incase I hit the splitter on something? Or am I supposed to actually bolt the splitter to the undertray or bumper somewhere? Any help would be appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12032.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1299863

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...lachs-cardinal
    Head to the bottom of the first page. He has a pretty comprehensive explanation with pics of his install. The whole threads a good read too.

Comment

Yea I have been following that thread quite extensively and used some of the pics for my install. However, it unfortunately doesn't explain or clearly show how the splitter is attached as to my original question.

Comment

Take a look at this link. The pictures will show where and how many of the fasteners are used. I believe unlike the US bumper, the Sport Evo bumper came with pre-drilled holes for the splitter. There is a picture in the link that shows this.

www.bayareamotorsport.com/splitter/evo_splitter.html

HTH.
        Mark
        1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post
          Take a look at this link. The pictures will show where and how many of the fasteners are used. I believe unlike the US bumper, the Sport Evo bumper came with pre-drilled holes for the splitter. There is a picture in the link that shows this.

www.bayareamotorsport.com/splitter/evo_splitter.html

HTH.
          Mark
          Yea I saw those pics as well. The drilling of the holes into the bumper or the splitter wasn't a problem. My question is in regards to how the splitter is held in place. According to the picture I added, the bolts #5 go through the splitter into the rubber nutserts #11. According to the picture, that assembly is basically just "pushed" through the Undertray and into the bumper. I just want to make sure that is all that is really holding the splitter in place and that I'm not missing anything as it would appear that the splitter is just being held on by the friction of the rubber against the holes in the undertray/bumper.

Comment

You have it correct, the expanding rivets are all that hold it in place. And I believe you are also correct that it's done this way so that it can break away if you hit something.

When I installed mine I bolted the under tray directly to the bumper and then used the expanding rivets for the splitter only. Those rivets go through the under tray and the bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
              You have it correct, the expanding rivets are all that hold it in place. And I believe you are also correct that it's done this way so that it can break away if you hit something.

When I installed mine I bolted the under tray directly to the bumper and then used the expanding rivets for the splitter only. Those rivets go through the under tray and the bumper.
              Ah that makes more sense, I didn't realize they were expanding rivets. Thanks!

Comment

Saw your PMs, sorry for the slow reply - yes, the rubber captured nuts are holding your splitter on to the fascia and under tray. I have to be honest, I don't know that I ever figured out why these rubber captive nuts are used over washers and normal nuts. PM incoming.
                1989 Lachs
                1988 Lachs - sold
                1988 DS - sold
                Car blog
                Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

I haven't seen anyone mention reinforcing the mounting holes in the hollow carbon splitter or gurney flap for the Sport Evo style wings. Is it not necessary, you just snug them up softly to avoid crushing the carbon?

Comment

I also used large fender washers on the splitter to spread out the load. I used all the same references posted above. Scared the hell out of me to drill into my bumper like that. Take your time and double check everything twice. That’s 4 times. And you should be good.

Comment

Working...
                    X