89 Zinno Nut & Bolt Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Zinno Nut & Bolt Restoration

It's been awhile since I've started a build-thread on a forum but I sure do miss them. (Long time gtrlife, nasioc, audizine and 6speeder) I find myself constantly browsing old threads and hoping to find pictures that are still hosted but unfortunately lost in the photobucket era.

Bit of a backstory. I worked with a gentleman for 8-9yrs (2009-2018)and throughout this period of time he'd mentioned his E30 M3 that he purchased in 2001. Over time we discussed the car and I found out that he had parked the vehicle in ~08 roughly 3k miles after the timing chain and tensioners had been replaced. I tried to purchase the car back in 2015, 2016 and every year after I always ran into him and said "if you ever are ready to sell, please let me know".

Fast forward to the beginning of 2020, Covid had just started. I'd left the previous company and moved from Eastern WA over to Seattle back in 2018. I receive a message on Facebook from my old co-worker, simply stating, " Are you Ready?"... I instantly knew what it meant! Couldn't hold my excitement, said "YES"! Low and behold he needed the garage space for a new project and it was time to move it on to someone else to enjoy. We reached an agreement and I sent a flat-bed 3hrs back to Eastern, WA to pickup my new to me, M3! Work from home? ton of extra time on my hands, quickly went from "get her running" to a full on nut & bolt restoration. Fun fact, I've yet to ride in and/or drive an E30 M3..

1989 Zinno M3 145k on the clock that hasn't been driven since 2008.

Down the rabbit-hole, Alice.. who's coming with me?

2yrs outside and then another 8yrs hibernating in the garage at the PO:

Sprinkler and 100+ deg heat had its way on this side along with passenger door lock was frozen

Excited to see all the factory spares including the NLA Gray Carpet and factory radio

No visible bubbling around the cowl!?

Interior shot for 145k Miles seemed to be in fantastic shape!

Factory Spare and wheel in amazing condition!

Strapped up and headed to Seattle!

Arrived home safe and sound!

Once home, this is what I found

in the garage getting acquainted!

Very dirty, very dusty and LOTS of spiders... and Wasps.. and.... ya.. I screamed while pulling under-trays a few times.

Here's the cowl which wasn't bad for the age, luckily drain holes seemed unaffected.

couple small pinholes but luckily not bad compared to most I've seen

Comment

Due to Previous owner parking due to motor noises and unknown shops troubleshooting the issue 10yrs ago I decided to simply ensure the motor was not seized, tossed in some Marvel mystery oil into each cylinder. 24hr later I put into gear and rocked the car back and forth and the Crank moved!

Woohoo, fuel-relay removed (10yr old fuel in the tank), I attempted to crank the car. Fresh battery went in, everything came to life and it cranked over! No crazy interference noises that I could hear so out comes the motor so it can start the refresh process. Unfortunately fuel was not drained when he parked it back in 08... So pop open the tank and this is what we're greeted with.

Sending unit

Rust for days :(

Out comes the tank

I caved and started accumulating parts as I was tearing things down so I had some light at the end of the tunnel, LOL

New Fuel tank, Sending unit, basket, and all rubber lines ordered for re-install!

Comment

This is exciting. Cant wait for more.

*See also Mlytle's thread unearthing a ~30K mile car that sat for decade(s).
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
          This is exciting. Cant wait for more.

*See also Mlytle's thread unearthing a ~30K mile car that sat for decade(s).
          Thanks Jimmy! Will try to keep this updated as I go! Have about 8mos of content to toss up so should be some entertainment!

New Spectra tank with Fresh Powder to match the factory tank. (one of the few non-oem parts purchased)

Pulled the valve cover off, everything looked ok from what little I could see/tell

Bumper removed

Exhaust off (Holy cow doing this solo was a BAD idea..I do NOT want to put this back on the car just from a Weight POV!)

Disgusting.. All of this was removed, new bracket, new filters and rubber isolators.

It was at this point while dismantling things the "while you're in there bug bit" but let's be honest.. Every piece of rubber on this car needs to be replaced at this age.. Suspension received a complete overhaul via KW Coilovers while I wrapped the factory suspension up for safekeeping so they can go with the car if It were to ever be sold.

New Diff Cover & Evo Flywheel

Comment

Yes.. I am actually attempting to do this in a single-bay.. I eventually upgrade my lift system to a Quickjack setup which was mostly a good purchase. Hinders your ability to work on items due to lifting points but for the most part its been awesone.

Time to start pulling the motor out?

Bout ready to go

Out she comes!.. Quickjack didn't give me enough room to drop the subframe/motor so I yanked it out with the trans attached.

Voila..

Comment

Empty bay! Now to start cleaning up or justifying the " maybe I should just paint the whole car "

Gross.. Just nasty

Trans

Sachs Clutch (good sign)

Off to the Machine Shop/Builder for a complete Valve cover>Oil Pan Refresh

Comment

Wow, epic! Welcome aboard and I’m excited to watch your progress!
                1989 Lachs
                1988 Lachs - sold
                1988 DS - sold
                Car blog
                Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

I love these threads and I was hoping you'd start one.

That looks like a great restoration candidate. Seems like it was well loved at one time but unfortunately neglected for a decade. That's much better than starting with a car that's been through lots of owners and has been hacked up with questionable repairs and countless stereo upgrades.

I'm looking forward to updates.
                  Last edited by Mick; 04-01-2021, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                    I love these threads and I was hoping you'd start one.

That looks like a great restoration candidate. Seems like it was well loved at one time but unfortunately neglected for a decade. That's much better than starting with a car that's been through lots of owners and has been hacked up with questionable repairs and countless stereo upgrades.

I'm looking forward to updates.
                    Thanks Mick! Very well loved is an understatement. I promised the PO I'd drive her back home and take him for a ride when finished.

After further inspection of the car and being told "no paintwork", the passenger door and rear quarter had been resprayed as I found the cutline in the door frame. I was going back and forth on repainting the car but really wanted to restore the factory single-stage. After realizing the car already had paintwork, the decision was much easier to go forward with a complete windows-out, respray. Also another rabbit-hole that I gladly climbed into.

Engine out, at machine shop.. Time to strip the car down for a respray.

Windshield out to assess Cowl rust:

Success!

Not horrible, expected worse to be honest. The Dry desert climate really helped with corrosion

Pitting that will be welded and entire windshield frame POR15'd

Lets get strippin

Comment

You all know the drill.. dismantle, bag it, label it, toss into the bin. I wind up setting up an in-home Zinc Plating Setup and media blaster.. It gets fun!

Rear side glass out

Pulled the ABS unit to send off to Jordan at Mtechnique

These must be one-time use? I had no way of saving most

You wind up with this.. Was able to save all of the trim except for the main rain gutters on each side.. I may have lost my patience and ripped a side off....

Sweet! more bees

Engine bay progress

Comment

Realizing I had to get the car back into a "roller" for the body shop I went ahead and refinished the Front Subframe, reinforcement brackets welded in and re-powder coated.

New Axles going in

Rear Wheel Bearings

Added the circlip and those were taken care of!

KW's tossed on in the rear along with new rotors and e-brake shoes. (It was here I should have just removed the rear subframe because I get to do all of this again when the car is back from the body-shop to finish the subframe bushings

Off to the front end!

Comment

Out with the old

New Wheel bearings and fresh zinc coated ABS ring

KW installed

Much better

Door glass removed

Dash removed (no cracks!)

Comment

Here it is heading up to Arlington, WA to the talented guys at JMI

With the car gone and motor gone, I shifted my focus towards Zinc Plating all original hardware if it was reusable. Brackets, Calipers, bolts, etc were all going to be ultrasonic cleaned, glass bead blasted or vapor honed and then Zinc plated along with Yellow chromate to mimic the factory Cadmium from BMW in the late 80's.

Pardon the cluttered garage got to work with what I have!

Enter Walter White:

Bolts

Finished

Before

After blasting

Zinc'd & Chromated

Comment

What's the timeline here, is this project done and we're reliving your fun and pain in retrospect? Either way keep it coming.

Too bad about the rain gutters. As far as I know those are NLA. Let me know if you source them.

Comment

Working...
                              X