Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road&Track magazine needs an E30 M3 in June!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road&Track magazine needs an E30 M3 in June!

Hey all,

I'm a longtime E30 M3 fan (and former owner), and currently the senior editor at Road&Track magazine. We're putting together an M3 Mega Test of sorts at Mid-Ohio in June, where we'll drive every generation of M3 from BMW's museum, as well as some historic race cars. The piece will run in an upcoming double issue of the magazine, likely covering 16-20 pages. However, the only generation of M3 that BMW doesn't currently have in its museum is the E30, so it's up to me (the resident BMW nerd) to track one down for the test.

I thought I'd reach out to my beloved S14 community first, to see if anyone was interested in lending us their clean, preferably stock M3 for a couple of days? Mileage isn't a concern so long as the car has been taken care of, though low mileage is ideal. If you'll allow us to shoot photos of your car and do some light lapping for car impressions, I can promise you two days of access to the coolest BMW race cars on planet earth, incredible photography of your car, food/hotel/expenses covered, and a peak behind the curtain at how car magazines are made (plus a chat with a couple BMW factory racing drivers).

Please let me know if you're interested, I'm trying to line this up early as the track days fall during the work week. As the owner, you can be as involved or detached as you want, we just need a fine example of the M3 for the piece. If anyone has a car but is unwilling to drive/travel to Ohio for the day, trailering the car to Mid-O and back is always an option (at our expense). Feel free to PM me or reply in the thread; I'm on S14 nearly every day of my life, haha.

Thanks guys,

Kyle Kinard

I would also post up on the s14.net page in Facebook. I think it is a little more active there. If you were in S. CA and wanted a track car you could use mine.
    Dan

88 M3
    Black on Black

San Diego, CA
    USA

Comment

I'll try there, thanks!

Comment

mine is far from clean and is quite a ways away from your location....but if you're interested, let me know.

Austin
        Autobahn Motorsport - Restoration and Service - Portland, Oregon
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3 M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

People keep these stock?! I'll share with the Bay Area owner's group on FB.

I'd love to share my car but it's probably not magazine material. Please circle back and share the article / video when it's published!
          1989 Lachs
          1988 Lachs - sold
          1988 DS - sold
          Car blog
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Whoever gets their car to the show will be a star for awhile at cars n coffee run and add a great story to the cars DNA

Comment

Originally posted by Kyldare View Post
              I'll try there, thanks!
              Sent you a PM. Thanks!
              1984 E30 323i Euro (sold)
              1985 E30 325e (sold)
              1988 E30 Henna/Black 2.5L
              1988 E30 Macao Evo2 #330
              2014 F31 328i Sportswagon
              2017 F80 M3

Comment

You can use mine!

Oh wait, it's a bastardized/molested shell of what BMW built. Nevermind.

Comment

Pm sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                    You can use mine!

Oh wait, it's a bastardized/molested shell of what BMW built. Nevermind.
                    i too have spent a fortune de-valuing mine...

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've received a TON of great offers. This is why I love the E30 M3 community. Sounds like a ton of you are willing to ship vehicles, which is great, but if we can find something more local and avoid the logistics of shipping, that's likely the best option. Where are all you midwest owners at?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyldare View Post
                        Thanks for all the replies. I've received a TON of great offers. This is why I love the E30 M3 community. Sounds like a ton of you are willing to ship vehicles, which is great, but if we can find something more local and avoid the logistics of shipping, that's likely the best option. Where are all you midwest owners at?
                        Kyle, since you'll be in Mid Ohio, you could contact Enthusiast Auto Group. They have the cars you're looking for. I'm sure they'd love the publicity. I believe they're in Cincinnati, OH.

Pretty sure if the location was changed to NJ or CA. You could easily get the cars you're looking for. Since BMW NA is in NJ, they probably have one or access to one as well.

Best of luck in your search.
                        1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                        1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                        1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Originally posted by L James View Post

Kyle, since you'll be in Mid Ohio, you could contact Enthusiast Auto Group. They have the cars you're looking for. I'm sure they'd love the publicity. I believe they're in Cincinnati, OH.

Pretty sure if the location was changed to NJ or CA. You could easily get the cars you're looking for. Since BMW NA is in NJ, they probably have one or access to one as well.

Best of luck in your search.
                          Yes, EAG would love to participate and have just the right car that will be ready at that time. It's a 1988 M3 Zinno/Black we bought from the first owner after 20 years of storage, it has just 13K miles and is a great representation of how these amazing cars drove when new. We can bring the EAG Sport Evolution up too if you'd like to try that one out, it's a blast and no stranger to the track. Several other stock low mileage E30 M3s also available if Zinno isn't the color you'd prefer for the article.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EAG Sport Evo at NCM! (1) (Large).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	1301288
                          Specializing in late model M-Cars
                          Visit us at: www.EnthusiastAuto.com

Comment

Hi all!

Just like that, the car is sorted for our M3 megatest. Big thanks to Eric at EAG! We're getting a super clean Zinno car with low miles. I'll share some images/outtakes from making the story, if anyone here is interested. Thanks again for all the offers.

Here's hoping I'll be able to rejoin the S14 community as an owner in the near future! (If anyone has a car with a TON of miles and a bunch of mismatched VINs that they'd pass on to its loving forever home at reasonable price, let me know).

Comment

Working...
                            X