What should I 3D print?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I 3D print?

Next. Made gray center caps for standard M3 rims, black center caps for M5 E34 rims, shift boot frames, almost done on brake ducts.
    Attached Files

OHH so many things, I think the brake duct piping would be ultimate. Super expensive, seems somewhat simple, and doesn't take a lot of abuse. Perfect for experimenting with.

Comment

I'm not sure who made the part, but my M3 came with a nice 3d-printed cupholder that drops in to the center console pocket. I've also used a 3d printer to replicate a broken horn button on my old Italvolanti steering wheel.
      1989 Lachs
      1988 Lachs - sold
      1988 DS - sold
      Car blog
      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Brake duct adapters ... to fit 3" flex pipe to the OEM brake ducts please.

Comment

Originally posted by 89trackM3 View Post
          Brake duct adapters ... to fit 3" flex pipe to the OEM brake ducts please.
          you mean like that? the round inside is 3in. Or is it the 3in duct will fit on the outside part and that has to be 3in outside dia? Click image for larger version  Name:	EVO brake duct to 3in.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	1301247

Comment

I think the outside of round part should be 3in? 38.1mm x 2 = 76.2mm = 3in
            90mm tall = 3.5 in

but the Real brake duct inside dia is closer to 4 in. ~100mm

Flex pipe, you slide onto end fitting
            Flex housing, you slide into
            Attached Files

Comment

The flex duct has a 3.0 inch ID. I would think that should slip over the adapter = non restricted air flow. Actually, if the adapter made had a 2.9375 inch OD, that would make it easier to get the flex duct on. I play hell getting the flex duct on the brake duct backing plates that have a 3.0 inch OD.

Comment

Would you be willing to share some of your designs?
                Would love to print out a set of brake ducts on my printer.

Comment

I've heard of duct adapters available for the CF ducts, but none available for the OEM to 3.0 inch pipe made as yet. The CF ducts have a much thinner wall.

Comment

Do you have a set of OEM brake ducts?

Comment

Do you have a set of OEM brake ducts?
                      yes I do. I use my fog lights more than I would the brake ducts. I'm printing on a Prusa MK3, those ducts are a bit big for the printer.

Comment

I have all the pieces, but not installed. So I am not sure how they will fit...
                        Attached Files

Comment

The flex duct has a 3.0 inch ID. I would think that should slip over the adapter = non restricted air flow. Actually, if the adapter made had a 2.9375 inch OD, that would make it easier to get the flex duct on. I play hell getting the flex duct on the brake duct backing plates that have a 3.0 inch OD.
                          so you want the 'RED' one with the outsdie diameter of the round part 3in

Comment

I've heard of duct adapters available for the CF ducts, but none available for the OEM to 3.0 inch pipe made as yet. The CF ducts have a much thinner wall.

I will try carbon filament when I buy another printer next year...

Comment

"so you want the 'RED' one with the outsdie diameter of the round part 3in" Yes like the red one only ... if at all possible, the outside diameter of the round part a bit less than 3 inches, ~2.9375 or 2 15/16 inches.

Damn, I wish I had taken the time to learn CAD. You do nice work!

Comment

Working...
                              X