Seeking Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Individual View Post
    Ok thank you guys for the input. When it comes to value how detrimental is having the non original S14 in the engine bay? I don’t foresee this car being worth solid M3 money when done. It had a deer strike under my friends care and most of the front panels have DOT-r panels. Doors back is original. Interior is complete and In good condition.

Westopher it is amazing how similar our stories are.
    Most people don’t understand my obsession.

Ron I’ll PM you.
    As you can see, more than 50% of the responses seem to suggest that without the S14 the car will not be worth the same. But there are other responses that aren't dismissing a 6 cyl swap. So, clearly you just shrunk your potential pool of buyers with a swap. But does that translate to a lower price? Possibly.

I can only speak for what I'd buy and not buy. Already owning an S14 car with 110K miles, I wouldn't want another one like it. If I wanted another one it would be either a <60K w/ S14 (2.3 or 2.5) or an intriguing swapped car. For a 60K bone stock or a 110K near stock example I would not even consider one without an S14. For a 175K example with blemishes on carfax, I'd rather have an intriguing swapped car done right than a neglected S14. I'd take an S38, S50 euro or s54, S85, K swapped, duratec etc. But If anyone does a Honda F20 or F22 swap then I'm all ears...

PS: Hardtailer's plan is what I'd do as well...

Comment

i see both sides of the coin.

on one hand, you have an interesting car with a neat engine conversion.

on the other hand, the e30m3 is best enjoyed with an s14.

unless you are attached to the idea of owning an engine swapped m3, i would just sell the drivetrain and put it towards getting an s14 back in the car. or, make the car run and drive and sell/trade it for an s14 powered one.

personally, unless it was salvage title or ultra hammered, i see no point in engine swapping an m3. they really are perfect, just the way the came.
      Autobahn Motorsport - Restoration and Service - Portland, Oregon
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3 M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Hey I get it but sense tells me either go s14 or sell it buy an E36 M3 and have some cash left over to make the E36 into a monster

Comment

Thank you all for the time your taking to respond. I do want to keep the E30 M3, I've had enough e36 M3’s and really don’t want another. Only other car I would rather have is a Z3 M Coupe. Maybe I should set the S50 aside for a Z3.
          My M3 is a clean title car. Had a deer strike along time ago and shows up on the carfax. All replacement panels have Dot-R stickers. The paint is starting to show its age in the area of the repair. The clear coat is peeling on the hood and fender. From my understanding Alpine white ll is suppose to be single stage. A respray of the front clip is in the cars future.
          All your input makes me want to investigate the health of the S50. Sell the S50 to fund the S14 remarriage. I was happy to hear that the S14 isn’t vin tagged like the e36.
          So making an extensive parts list and inspecting the S50 will be my first steps. I’ll get on that once my house sells and relocate 1600 miles southwest in the next few weeks. Bad timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Individual View Post
            I was happy to hear that the S14 isn't vin tagged like the e36.
            Well . . . actually the S14 cylinder head has a VIN tag on it.

1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

my $0.02....
              if you want to enjoy the car...STOP THINKING ABOUT RESALE VALUE!!!!!
              fix/mod the car the way YOU want it. drive it. track it. have fun with it. sit in the car with a big stupid grin on your face after burning up some gas and tires.

who cares what someone will pay for it 1/5/10 years down the road. it ain't an investment, it is a machine to use up. do what makes you happy! :-)
              88 M3 Henna
              95 M3 Orange
              97 M3 Techno

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
                my $0.02....
                fix/mod the car the way YOU want it. drive it. track it. have fun with it. sit in the car with a big stupid grin on your face after burning up some gas and tires.

who cares what someone will pay for it 1/5/10 years down the road. it ain't an investment, it is a machine to use up. do what makes you happy! :-)
                That's probably the best advice here. Cars make shitty investments, even collector cars. Those who say otherwise are usually trying to talk their spouse into letting them make a purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post

It does, but it's hard to maintain it. If the head has been hot-tanked even once, the VIN tag will be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

It does, but it's hard to maintain it. If the head has been hot-tanked even once, the VIN tag will be gone.
                    I was simply correcting the OP's original statement "I was happy to hear that the S14 isn’t vin tagged like the e36" which is incorrect.

I recognize that any work performed on the head (i.e. hot-tanked) will damage or destroy the VIN tag.
                    1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

Sounds like you have a wonderful decision on your hands! No matter what direction you choose, I believe you'll enjoy the car!

With that said, I'm not sure what the S50B32 motor is (Euro Motor E36 M3 motor I assume). If that is the case, you may have to take another factor into consideration. BMW NA does not support the purchase of euro specific parts unless you can prove ownership. Owning my imported E30 M3 Cabrio, I've had to provide documentation of ownership with a copy of my driver's license and registration when I order specific euro parts. If you cannot prove it, it maybe a problem in the future to get it easily from a dealer. There are plenty of work arounds, but something to put in the back of your mind.

If it's a US spec S50 Motor, then sourcing parts is a non issue.

If you go another motor route, the other options sound like fun also. I'm a believer of "it's your car" and do what you desire.

Best of luck with whatever route you choose, and have fun with it!! Since you're on the Northeastern part of the U.S., make sure you bring it to SIGFest once you finish it! Also, try and make it down to investigate your options!! Lots of variety at SIGFest to see.
                      1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                      1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                      1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Originally posted by L James View Post
                        BMW NA does not support the purchase of euro specific parts unless you can prove ownership.
                        Apologies for the tangent, but this is one of the reasons why I will never buy another BMW. Money is money....what does BMW care what parts you want to buy as long as you pay for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

Apologies for the tangent, but this is one of the reasons why I will never buy another BMW. Money is money....what does BMW care what parts you want to buy as long as you pay for them?
                          I always assumed it was a liability and/or DOT certification issue. Where it's too complicated and expensive to manage which specific euro market parts are ok to sell in the US so they just don't bother.

Comment

• L James
                            L James commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Mick, it's what you assumed. From a conversation with someone who would know on their end, lawsuits against BMW was the trigger when people utilized parts not made for our market.

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
                          my $0.02....

I’m going to try to not think like that. I should stop calling it my long term investment car and get back to calling it my dream car. I do want the car to have the high reving 4cylinder DNA. A new, more affordable option has been brought the light… Toyota 3SGE. Engine/trans/harness for $2500. Drive it like that till S14 parts can be collected and reconditioned. I just want to drive this car.

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post

Thank you for that clarification!

Comment

I have always disliked the idea of S50 swapped E30 M3's. The idea was good at the time and made it a "better" all round car. One that you could commute to work with or take to the track. An engine you can thrash and not feel guilty about because the US spec S50 shared many parts with the M50. This makes sense if it was your only car. These days M3's are not daily drivers so original engine cars are coveted. I owned one for about a year and ultimately sold it because it wasn't that different from my S52 powered 323i and I already had 2 M3's. There's always pros and cons to every option you listed. I would get it running and just enjoy it. You may decide you like it the way it is and if you don't, you can take your time sourcing another engine.
                              Last edited by Reelizmpro; 07-12-2021, 07:00 PM.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                              85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                              91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X