No announcement yet.

Which gearbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there not a 6 speed from another BMW model which could be installed with an adaptor plate, this way output flange is correct style and it would have synchros suitable for road car usage and track.

E30 M3 1987
    Mini Clubman GT
    BMW E36 323 Msport
    Toyota Corona
    KTM 200EXC
    Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Originally posted by idickers View Post
      One intriguing option is the Mazda RX8 6-speed. I guy over on the 2002FAQ made an adapter plate. The RX8 boxes come with some interesting gearing. There are two variants, the S1 and the S2, and in the attached pic they are compared to the Getrag 245 boxes that are often used in the 2002, the overdrive 245 and the unobtanium 245 close ratio.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	RX8_gearing.jpg Views:	27 Size:	102.0 KB ID:	1303104

Hi,

The Close ratio is actually very similar to the BMW Dog-Box, but the question is by the time its all converted to mate the S14 block it will not worth the time and the labor and the machining. Will be nice to see the weight as well.

Not worth the effort.

Dog-Box is win win, light, compact, great RPM drop between shifts, can combine various differential gears to achieve some road speed and track if desired or even strictly track.

By far the Honda S2000 gear box is veeeery yummy but got damn it heavy pig.....its huge. They are very cheap and available everywhere.

Regards,
      Anri

Click image for larger version  Name:	BHY.png Views:	1 Size:	143.9 KB ID:	1303113
      E30M3
      E28M5
      E24M6
      E24M6
      E24M6
      E24M6
      E31840Ci/S62.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyh...=dd&shelf_id=0

Comment

Hi,

If anybody has a box wants to compare the ratios post it and we can compare it.

The closest Close-Ratio gear box by far it has very similar RPM drop as the Dog-Box and have a nice lower revs on the hi-way but is the S2000 6spd.

And these are under a grand...or New from Honda they are available as well.

But the weight of the box is around 110-115 pounds vs Dog-Box at 87pounds not 78 (I need put it on the scale and re-measure it) . One can say weight is located down low and behind the axle but still attached to the engine....28 pounds difference is a lot.

S2k bellow.

Regards,
        Anri.

Click image for larger version

Name:	S2k.png
Views:	139
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1303120
        E30M3
        E28M5
        E24M6
        E24M6
        E24M6
        E24M6
        E31840Ci/S62.

Comment

I know you guys are brainstorming, but at no point in my life unless I was under heavy sedation (heavier than normal) would I ever go though the trouble of adapting some other street / syncro gearbox.
          I'f I'm going through the time and expense of adapting a gearbox you better bet its going to be a fully serviceable race / dog ringed, straight cut gear trans of some description.
          jimmy p.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Mark - offer still stands, if you want to drive my 2.3/CR/3.25, to get an idea of what would suit your needs the best.

A
            Autobahn Motorsport - Restoration and Service - Portland, Oregon
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3 M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Hey Jimmy,

Not everybody is fan of the straight cut gears specially for nice 90% street driving and 2-3 times a year track in a green Group visit.

Remember, E30M3s are no longer treated as they were 15+ years ago.. handful people beat the crap out it and enjoy the cars.

Regards,
              Anri
              E30M3
              E28M5
              E24M6
              E24M6
              E24M6
              E24M6
              E31840Ci/S62.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                I might be the lone voice here....

I prefer the stock box to the dogleg. The issue for me was the 40+ years of driving cars with first on the upper left, like the stock box, continuing to drive cars with that arrangement today, and the muscle memory that comes with it. I know it sounds petty, but trying to re-learn which gear is where...after so long...can be surprisingly difficult.

As far as the Tremec...I have a T56 Magnum in a non-BMW project car. This particular tranny handles something like 700 Lb-Ft of torque, so overkill for the E30M3, but to my tastes it shifts so much better and faster than any Getrags I have used, there is no comparison. I'm sure they have lighter-duty trannys that would be suitable for the E30M3....
                Iron,

A bit off topic. Years ago I wanted to use T56 but found that the TR6060 is a lot better by times than T56. I know several people with E36s LS-1 T56 and on the track fast shifting is not great on the T56..gears wont go that easy...TR6060 are not that expensive.

The gear ratios are great on the Tremec as RPM drop between gears but its not a good choice for S14, way to heavy gears to turn by the engine and also the weight of the gear box starts at 123pounds....and also one need differential gear starting from 5.50.

Regards,
                Anri
                E30M3
                E28M5
                E24M6
                E24M6
                E24M6
                E24M6
                E31840Ci/S62.

Comment

Originally posted by First E30 M3 View Post
                  Hey Jimmy,

Not everybody is fan of the straight cut gears specially for nice 90% street driving and 2-3 times a year track in a green Group visit.

Remember, E30M3s are no longer treated as they were 15+ years ago.. handful people beat the crap out it and enjoy the cars.

Regards,
                  Anri
                  Well yeah, if ts a street car then there is no reason at all to switch from either the stock OD gearbox r the Sport box, they are both perfectly fine for street use.
                  The OP specifically said for a 75% track car. To me, thats a track car.
                  I'm going to recommend track things.

For a street car I wouldnt bother changing anything.
                  I have a spare sport box sitting on a shelf but wouldnt bother to swap it into either one of my street cars because 90% of the time your just puttering around, even when you get "in it" on a street car you are still usually in using 2 gears and there is no lap timer.
                  Last edited by jimmy p.; 07-23-2021, 02:00 PM.
                  jimmy p.
                  87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                  88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                  88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                  92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                  98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                  04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Working...
                  X