• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmy p.
    replied
    Originally posted by First E30 M3 View Post
    Hey Jimmy,

Not everybody is fan of the straight cut gears specially for nice 90% street driving and 2-3 times a year track in a green Group visit.

Remember, E30M3s are no longer treated as they were 15+ years ago.. handful people beat the crap out it and enjoy the cars.

Regards,
    Anri
    Well yeah, if ts a street car then there is no reason at all to switch from either the stock OD gearbox r the Sport box, they are both perfectly fine for street use.
    The OP specifically said for a 75% track car. To me, thats a track car.
    I'm going to recommend track things.

For a street car I wouldnt bother changing anything.
    I have a spare sport box sitting on a shelf but wouldnt bother to swap it into either one of my street cars because 90% of the time your just puttering around, even when you get "in it" on a street car you are still usually in using 2 gears and there is no lap timer.
    Last edited by jimmy p.; 07-23-2021, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• First E30 M3
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
    I might be the lone voice here....

I prefer the stock box to the dogleg. The issue for me was the 40+ years of driving cars with first on the upper left, like the stock box, continuing to drive cars with that arrangement today, and the muscle memory that comes with it. I know it sounds petty, but trying to re-learn which gear is where...after so long...can be surprisingly difficult.

As far as the Tremec...I have a T56 Magnum in a non-BMW project car. This particular tranny handles something like 700 Lb-Ft of torque, so overkill for the E30M3, but to my tastes it shifts so much better and faster than any Getrags I have used, there is no comparison. I'm sure they have lighter-duty trannys that would be suitable for the E30M3....
    Iron,

A bit off topic. Years ago I wanted to use T56 but found that the TR6060 is a lot better by times than T56. I know several people with E36s LS-1 T56 and on the track fast shifting is not great on the T56..gears wont go that easy...TR6060 are not that expensive.

The gear ratios are great on the Tremec as RPM drop between gears but its not a good choice for S14, way to heavy gears to turn by the engine and also the weight of the gear box starts at 123pounds....and also one need differential gear starting from 5.50.

Regards,
    Anri

Leave a comment:

• First E30 M3
    replied
    Hey Jimmy,

Not everybody is fan of the straight cut gears specially for nice 90% street driving and 2-3 times a year track in a green Group visit.

Remember, E30M3s are no longer treated as they were 15+ years ago.. handful people beat the crap out it and enjoy the cars.

Regards,
    Anri

Leave a comment:

• Austin
    replied
    Mark - offer still stands, if you want to drive my 2.3/CR/3.25, to get an idea of what would suit your needs the best.

A

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    replied
    I know you guys are brainstorming, but at no point in my life unless I was under heavy sedation (heavier than normal) would I ever go though the trouble of adapting some other street / syncro gearbox.
    I'f I'm going through the time and expense of adapting a gearbox you better bet its going to be a fully serviceable race / dog ringed, straight cut gear trans of some description.

Leave a comment:

• First E30 M3
    replied
    Hi,

If anybody has a box wants to compare the ratios post it and we can compare it.

The closest Close-Ratio gear box by far it has very similar RPM drop as the Dog-Box and have a nice lower revs on the hi-way but is the S2000 6spd.

And these are under a grand...or New from Honda they are available as well.

But the weight of the box is around 110-115 pounds vs Dog-Box at 87pounds not 78 (I need put it on the scale and re-measure it) . One can say weight is located down low and behind the axle but still attached to the engine....28 pounds difference is a lot.

S2k bellow.

Regards,
    Anri.

Click image for larger version

Name:	S2k.png
Views:	128
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1303120

Leave a comment:

• First E30 M3
    replied
    Originally posted by idickers View Post
    One intriguing option is the Mazda RX8 6-speed. I guy over on the 2002FAQ made an adapter plate. The RX8 boxes come with some interesting gearing. There are two variants, the S1 and the S2, and in the attached pic they are compared to the Getrag 245 boxes that are often used in the 2002, the overdrive 245 and the unobtanium 245 close ratio.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	RX8_gearing.jpg Views:	27 Size:	102.0 KB ID:	1303104

Hi,

The Close ratio is actually very similar to the BMW Dog-Box, but the question is by the time its all converted to mate the S14 block it will not worth the time and the labor and the machining. Will be nice to see the weight as well.

Not worth the effort.

Dog-Box is win win, light, compact, great RPM drop between shifts, can combine various differential gears to achieve some road speed and track if desired or even strictly track.

By far the Honda S2000 gear box is veeeery yummy but got damn it heavy pig.....its huge. They are very cheap and available everywhere.

Regards,
    Anri

Click image for larger version  Name:	BHY.png Views:	1 Size:	143.9 KB ID:	1303113

Leave a comment:

• Dave @nz
    replied
    Is there not a 6 speed from another BMW model which could be installed with an adaptor plate, this way output flange is correct style and it would have synchros suitable for road car usage and track.

Leave a comment:

• idickers
    replied
    One intriguing option is the Mazda RX8 6-speed. I guy over on the 2002FAQ made an adapter plate. The RX8 boxes come with some interesting gearing. There are two variants, the S1 and the S2, and in the attached pic they are compared to the Getrag 245 boxes that are often used in the 2002, the overdrive 245 and the unobtanium 245 close ratio.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RX8_gearing.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1303104

Leave a comment:

• craz azn
    replied
    If you already have a US spec gearbox installed, I would just pair it with a super short diff, and enjoy. I have a eurospec car with a dogleg, and the gear ratio spread between 3rd to 4th gear drives me insane. In my opinion, it is not worth the cost to change from an overdrive US gearbox to a dogleg, plus still have the required diff ratio change costs involved.

That said, I will echo what the others have said, and point out that the car comes alive with a transmission that utilizes a race gear ratio spread. Unfortunately, almost every option in this arena is very pricey, and probably unlikely to be a bolt in solution.

FWIW, I'm looking to put a Group A gearset into my spare 265/5 and hopefully that should satisfy my gear ratio woes.

Leave a comment:

• 1990m3
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

OMG the gear whine is almost (and I said almost) the best part. Its intoxicating LOL. I sometimes think I race to hear the gearbox LOL (although I have worked in the live music biz for 37 years so I could possibly be a little deaf.
    Yes -- on the track. On the street though it's not great!

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    replied
    Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
    I The gear whine alone increases interior volume about 100% and is now the loudest thing I hear in the car. I drove it to my friends shop for alignment and it was miserable (I didn't wear ear plugs).
    OMG the gear whine is almost (and I said almost) the best part. Its intoxicating LOL. I sometimes think I race to hear the gearbox LOL (although I have worked in the live music biz for 37 years so I could possibly be a little deaf.

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    replied
    Originally posted by RGNLM3 View Post
    If you have other cars with a normal H-pattern manual, you may not want to have a dog-leg in the mix. Might cause more mis-shifts.
    LOL Long ago when I first got the Gruppe A car I had an OD box in my club racer and the Gruppe A box in the Gruppe A car (which is a dogleg first) I used to have a piece of gaffer tape on the dashboard of the Gruppe A car with the shift pattern as a reminder.

Leave a comment:

• RGNLM3
    replied
    If you have other cars with a normal H-pattern manual, you may not want to have a dog-leg in the mix. Might cause more mis-shifts.

Leave a comment:

• First E30 M3
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
    @First E30 M3
    Anri - not sure you read my whole post, but If you can get Drenth sequentials for $5500 I'll take two tomorrow. Let me know where to send the money and I'll send you my shipping address.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...box-400nm500nm

Regarding the Samsonas 265 optionI just checked on VAC's site the Samsonas gear set is now $6K USD (+ someone to build it) I had not checked in a while, probably should have.
    So my post was off ~$1ooo on the Samsonas option.
    Jimmy,

I am sorry for not making a note, I was referring for Samsonas not Drenth. Drenth is more money indeed. About a year ago I sow the 265 Samsonas Kit which is slight cheaper than Gr.A. and the ratios are virtually same with micro chances which are neglected.

Okay so price went to 6k plus shipping, honestly its not too bad. I also can put it together.

I am tiny bit happier with the Samsonas ratios vs Drenth.

Regards,
    Anri

Leave a comment:

Working...
X