Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolts vs. Studs for cylinder head

Hi,

my engine is currently rebuilt and since the head bolts are temporarily not deliverable I consider to use studs from ARP instead of the bolts. Is there any disadvantage when using studs for mounting the head? Is it necessary to do other modifications on head or block when using studs?

Regards

Nils

Hi Weisen,
    Head bolts, unlike fasteners that are loaded past yield like rod bolts, do not plastically stretch when torqued, so they can be use multiple times.
    Larry

Comment

I've used head studs on my builds, Raceware not ARP, but pretty similar.

They make it slightly (very slightly) more difficult to install or remove the head, but IMHO the difference is pretty trivial.

I do remember (it has been many years) that there was a slight interference issue with the studs or nuts on the cam box somewhere around cylinder #1. They take up slightly more room than bolts, and there was one place where I had to grind off a very small amount of the cam box casting. Again, trivial. A five minute modification at most.

Studs are "theoretically" better than bolts to attach a head, for a variety of engineering reasons that are beyond the scope of your question. Kind of moot for a N/A S14 as either will work fine.

If studs are all you can obtain, by all means use them. There's no significant downside.

Comment

Originally posted by weisen View Post
        Hi,

my engine is currently rebuilt and since the head bolts are temporarily not deliverable I consider to use studs from ARP instead of the bolts. Is there any disadvantage when using studs for mounting the head? Is it necessary to do other modifications on head or block when using studs?

Regards

Nils

reuse your old bolts if you have them..I have done many times.

brgds, the other Nils

Comment

Working...
        X