AK01 Euro car with jap cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AK01 Euro car with jap cat

I always assumed I had a non cat Euro (AK01) but I translated a sticker in the engine bay today and it was indeed fitted with a cat before being sold new in Japan. I will be removing this cat asap. Did the japanese do anything else to these cars that would affect performance? Cheers!

Pic attached
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't know, but I love that they say to replace the o2 sensor. Here in the States everyone assumes those are lifetime pieces.
      Dave.
      76 M2

Comment

They obviously entered the ecu to add a cat. Looking forward to seeing how it breaths after removing the 33 year cat clogging the system.

Comment

Hi,
          There are blue and black plugs at the DME main plug above the glove box which can be connected together to change ignition maps to match fuel, ie 91 USA, and 98 fuel etc.
          They may be worth investigating.

If you search on the forum there should be info for the plug combinations to suit the fuel you have.

Can you please post a original photos of your decals up so I can copy it, thanks.
          Dave.

E30 M3 1987
          Mini Clubman GT
          BMW E36 323 Msport
          Toyota Corona
          KTM 200EXC
          Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Hi Dave, thank you for the info! You might have seen my car at Gavins last year when yours was there too. Did you delete the cat on yours?

Comment

Originally posted by SNWMBL View Post
              They obviously entered the ecu to add a cat. Looking forward to seeing how it breaths after removing the 33 year cat clogging the system.
              On my car removing high-flow aftermarket cats and replacing with straight pipe adds 10 RWHP. I never did a comparison with the OEM cats, but I'm certain it would be even more....

Comment

• SNWMBL
                SNWMBL commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to hear! Straight pipes with stock muffler?

Originally posted by SNWMBL View Post
              Hi Dave, thank you for the info! You might have seen my car at Gavins last year when yours was there too. Did you delete the cat on yours?
              Hi, must have been different M3 that you seen I live in the south island, the po had replaced the exhaust system with Supersprint road exhaust which I am glad about.

E30 M3 1987
              Mini Clubman GT
              BMW E36 323 Msport
              Toyota Corona
              KTM 200EXC
              Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Oh OK. Im sure it was also a Dave that owned the car with the rego 88 M3. I've got the supersprint rear racing muffler. Hopefully their resonated x pipe is a good match. The racing muffler on a stock Centre is just loud but not great sounding. Have you just got the second o2 sensor in a simulator in the supersprint?

Comment

No mine is 87 M3 and no personal plate, I have the factory oxygen sensor at the flows the 2nd sensor is a temp sensor for the overhead sensor panel which I have tucked up under the carpet and rubber plug in the floor.

E30 M3 1987
                  Mini Clubman GT
                  BMW E36 323 Msport
                  Toyota Corona
                  KTM 200EXC
                  Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave @nz View Post
                    No mine is 87 M3 and no personal plate, I have the factory oxygen sensor at the flows the 2nd sensor is a temp sensor for the overhead sensor panel which I have tucked up under the carpet and rubber plug in the floor.
                    The overhead temp doesnt run off the coolant temp sensor in the engine?

Do you have both plugs plugged info 98 unleaded? I only had the blue plugged in so I plugged the black in and it started missing under load. Unplugged it and it now the missing remains. Only under load though. In neutral it is happy to rev.

Comment

No I think the overheat light is for the catalytic sensor. I think from memory all plugs connected for 98 fuel pay to recheck this. If it is missing must be something else going on possibly spark plugs.

E30 M3 1987
                      Mini Clubman GT
                      BMW E36 323 Msport
                      Toyota Corona
                      KTM 200EXC
                      Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

• Both connected requires 98 RON, only blue connected requires 95 RONClick image for larger versionName:	11.jpgViews:	0Size:	334.6 KBID:	1304025

Comment

Thanks. Running BP 98 RON. It seemed to idle better and felt more responsive between 1-3k rpm before the missing started occuring. The missing may be unrelated. I took the leads off and the contacts dont look great so will tidy them up and see what happens.

Comment

Ignition contacts
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X