Sport Evo Wheels + Toyo 225/45-16 Wheel Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diseasewithnocure View Post
    Today I replaced the shock towers ("hats") with original OEM BMW hoping that it would move the wheels "back" further to the rear of the car, fixing the rubbing issue. It didn't do anything, and perhaps even made it slightly worse (measuring 1/4" further forward than the old shock hats did).

I'm at loss how / why the 1991 M3 can fit these exact same rims/tires and why the 1989 M3 rubs (badly) at the front of the car. It's measuring practically 1/2-3/4" further forward on the 89' than the 91'. I'm somewhat stumped.

Is there orientation to OEM top hats? I notice the groove / indent on them, but I wasn't 100% sure any more for these cars.

Also, I’ve been reading a lot how 96+ E36 M3 control arms and offset CAB move the wheels forward. How do I confirm or reference which control arms I have on the car?

Any help is appreciated on this nagging issue keeping me from enjoying it...
    they are aluminum. they are the E30 M3 control arms. They didn't make alum ones again until the E46 Believe.

I don't know what you have going on there, I have some 245/40/17 Yoko tires on mine with 17x8 Et 20 with no spacers and there is no rubbing.

T

Comment

Here's a silly question: Do you know if the car in question has ever been involved in a front end accident of any kind? That could explain the issue that you're having if it wasn't fixed correctly. Are there any signs that may tell you such? DOT-R parts such as the fenders, or hood? Title?

Do you have the VIN? PM me and I can see if I have it in my database.
      1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
      1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
      1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

So, why not just assume they're e36 parts with offset CABs, and just get some centered CABs? I fully understand wanting to know why, but in the meantime...
        Dave.
        76 M2

Comment

But you can't assume they are e36 parts, because there never were aluminum e36 control arms. Centred bushings totally should provide a solution though, but I'd want to get to the root of the reason as well if it were my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Westopher View Post
            But you can't assume they are e36 parts, because there never were aluminum e36 control arms. Centred bushings totally should provide a solution though, but I'd want to get to the root of the reason as well if it were my car.
            ^^^^ All of this +1 ^^^^
            jimmy p.
            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
            92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
            98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
            04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

^^^^ All of this +1 ^^^^
              I appreciate the feedback and support — what puzzles me is how/why one E30 M3 with aluminum control arms and offset CABs it rubs on…..and another E30 M3 with aluminum control arms and offset CABs it doesn’t rub on.

At this point I’m equally as interested in fixing the issue as I am simply understanding how/why this is happening.

So to confirm my sanity — there never were different control arms for E36 as there never were aluminum control arms for it?

Comment

The 96+ e36 arms are most definitely a different geometry than the E30 arms and the 95 e36 arms.
                All those 96+ E36 arms are steel.
                if you have aluminum arms you have E30 arms.
                jimmy p.
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
                  The 96+ e36 arms are most definitely a different geometry than the E30 arms and the 95 e36 arms.
                  All those 96+ E36 arms are steel.
                  if you have aluminum arms you have E30 arms.
                  Darn! Was really hoping that was the ticket — what’s so odd is how they both have aluminum control arms, and are offset.

Other than upper shock mounts (top hats), control arms, and CABs, is there anything that sets the “location” (front to back) of the center of the wheels that I’m missing or forgetting about?

It measures now a full 5/8-3/4” further forward on the 89’ than the 91’.

I will try centered bushings next in the rubbing 89’ but still just trying to make sense of the nonsense.

Thanks for everyone’s continued ideas and help.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasewithnocure View Post

Darn! Was really hoping that was the ticket — what’s so odd is how they both have aluminum control arms, and are offset.

Other than upper shock mounts (top hats), control arms, and CABs, is there anything that sets the “location” (front to back) of the center of the wheels that I’m missing or forgetting about?

It measures now a full 5/8-3/4” further forward on the 89’ than the 91’.

I will try centered bushings next in the rubbing 89’ but still just trying to make sense of the nonsense.

Thanks for everyone’s continued ideas and help.
                    Here are the measurements to start looking for what it out of whack.

http://www.apexeta.com/img/rustrepair/dimensions/1.jpg

T

Comment

Numerous people prior to my post above have tried to tell you that you have E30 arms if you have alloy.
                      +1 to Tony's post.
                      I would suggest to begin measuring -or- alternatively if that doesnt yield a clear smoking gun bite the bullet and take it to a frame guy to put on a frame jig and see what may be out of square.

The other thing that could be out of place is the body / wheel well / fenders relative to the front subframe.
                      Are you sure this chassis has never been seriously wrecked / pulled / had a bunch of repair work done?

When I git my Gruppe A car something was not right. The wheel in the drivers side wheel well was completely different placement than the wheel in the passenger side.
                      I went crazy measuring the car and it kept coming up pretty square, We put it on an alignment rack, did a complete setup guaranteeing the car was square and all settings were correct and the one wheel was still off.
                      It was then that I read somewhere about some of the werks teams doing some voodoo to the fender openings, and sure enough Prodrive had artfully opened up the fender opening on the one side and the other side was an out of the box factory fender with no modifications I assume replaced in a hurry after crash damage or in the cars later life as a privateer.
                      In any case mystery was solved I had been measuring everything with two different fenders in the equation.
                      I doubt yours is the same situation but maybe that gives you food for thought. Take nothing for granted. Check everything.
                      jimmy p.
                      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

May not apply here, but...........
                        On a RHD converted car, the steel rack (early 325?) started weeping (no rubbing issues at all on 16" rims 225 tyres) so I changed it for a later Aluminium casing one which made the tyres rub on full lock on the back edges.
                        My idea was to either fit some lock stops or rebuild the first rack, (neither of which happened!)

Comment

Working...
                        X