Getrag 265 bearing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getrag 265 bearing replacement

I had a 8mm ball drop out of the drain hole when I changing the oil in my gearbox a few months ago. Other then a rattle when the clutch was out there had been no issue with the gearbox or car in general. Doing research it looks like the ball came from one of the shift rods. And as far as I can tell the box would have had to explode for the ball to have come from one of the bearings.

With the front case of the gearbox off it looks and feels like one or more of the bearings are going bad.

For anyone that has replaced bearings in the 265 is it necessary to pull the 5th gear to get to all of them?

Hi,
    Is there any indication the oil has been changed or the gearbox overhauled?
    The only too options I see is if the ball bearing escaped during recent overhaul and ended up in the box stuck to the magnet?

Or has been in there since new, shift rod bearing would show no signs of wear and yes like you don't think it has escaped from bearing races.

I dont think it is possible to just pull the bearing off the gear shafts while installed in the gearbox with normal home tools, normally this would require strip down and overhaul.

E30 M3 1987
    Mini Clubman GT
    BMW E36 323 Msport
    Toyota Corona
    KTM 200EXC
    Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave @nz View Post
      Hi,
      Is there any indication the oil has been changed or the gearbox overhauled?
      The only too options I see is if the ball bearing escaped during recent overhaul and ended up in the box stuck to the magnet?

Or has been in there since new, shift rod bearing would show no signs of wear and yes like you don't think it has escaped from bearing races.

I dont think it is possible to just pull the bearing off the gear shafts while installed in the gearbox with normal home tools, normally this would require strip down and overhaul.

I think someone has been inside the case at some point. One of the four short lower bolts that hold the input shaft cover was a different make and shorter then the other three. The gear set in the front look good and the sync rings look fine. The input shaft bearing is done for and can feel that one or more of the bearings are having issues. Mystethoscope is not giving my much help. I'm thinking about pulling the rear cover and count the balls that fall out. If its going to take that 15 ton pull to get 5th off and out of the way for bearing replacement then I think it might be time to box it up and head to MM.

Comment

Hi,
        I can recommend Stu at Schatz & Krum in Sacramento to rebuild these transmissions. He has done several for me and the work like new. If you need more information, you can contact me at: [email protected].
        Larry

Comment

Hard to tell from your photo but I suspect it has been converted to taper roller bearing on the front layshaft, the only place I have seen them is on the MM overhauled gearboxes factory is ball bearing on input and lower layshaft.

If it has please post up the taper bearing race p/n’s, I think it would be a really good upgrade in that area along with bringing the front cover end float down to 0.00”.

If you are sending it out for o/h I think leave it alone let them strip it would be the what I would be best.

E30 M3 1987
          Mini Clubman GT
          BMW E36 323 Msport
          Toyota Corona
          KTM 200EXC
          Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Originally posted by nsubre View Post
            Hi,
            I can recommend Stu at Schatz & Krum in Sacramento to rebuild these transmissions. He has done several for me and the work like new. If you need more information, you can contact me at: [email protected].
            Larry
            Thanks for tip!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave @nz View Post
              Hard to tell from your photo but I suspect it has been converted to taper roller bearing on the front layshaft, the only place I have seen them is on the MM overhauled gearboxes factory is ball bearing on input and lower layshaft.

If it has please post up the taper bearing race p/n’s, I think it would be a really good upgrade in that area along with bringing the front cover end float down to 0.00”.

If you are sending it out for o/h I think leave it alone let them strip it would be the what I would be best.
              MM would make sense, the car has never left Missouri.
              It does have a taper roller but no part numbers or maker markings stamped into the race or roller.

Not going to dig any deeper if it has MM mods. Going to box it up and head down to their shop.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X