Restoration Shop Recommendation - Seattle Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration Shop Recommendation - Seattle Area

I've got an 88 m3 that needs far more love and attention than i'm capable of giving her at the moment. Are there any reputable e30 restoration shops in the Seattle area? If not, i'm open to anything on the west coast.

Things that may need addressed -
    motor
    transmission
    suspension
    electrical
    some minor body work
    complete repaint

Ship it to VSR1 on the east coast and get it done right. Many from the west coast have done this before. No one can do what Mario does, especially out there.

Last time I was visiting VSR1 they had an E30 M3 from Oregon getting a full restoration.

E30M3 is a Legend

Comment

I shipped mine out to VSR from Colorado when I needed the engine rebuilt and some rust taken care of. Mario even gave me a loaner to drive around when I came out to visit when we were considering moving back east.
      -kevin

Comment

• sector7g
        sector7g commented
        Editing a comment
        I must add that Mario and Chris made the whole process super easy.

so far - two votes for VSR. surely there must be a west coast equivalent in terms of quality and reputation?

Comment

sorting the mechanicals should be easy for any shop familiar with these cars, they really aren't overly complicated. From there, find a body shop in your area that is more than competent and you have your job done. One shop for mechanical, one for body. Rare are the shops that do both, which is probably why VSR is coming up as an option. Although they do a great job, you're looking at $5k just to ship it back and forth from WA to NH, aside from all the work to be done.

What is the extent of the motor and trans work that is required?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
          sorting the mechanicals should be easy for any shop familiar with these cars, they really aren't overly complicated. From there, find a body shop in your area that is more than competent and you have your job done. One shop for mechanical, one for body. Rare are the shops that do both, which is probably why VSR is coming up as an option. Although they do a great job, you're looking at $5k just to ship it back and forth from WA to NH, aside from all the work to be done.

What is the extent of the motor and trans work that is required?
          Honestly, i'm not completely certain. When the motor fires up, it seems to run pretty strong, but I've got no basis for comparison. The previous owner(s) molested this car pretty good, and none of it was documented, so i'm just guessing they both need rebuilt.

Appreciate the input.

Comment

Not to take anything away from VSR but it might be worthwhile looking at shops in CA given the proximity to WA in comparison to MA. There are so many good shops from WA to CA that you could come up with something. I'd look up Sean Edwards and send him a message if you're on instagram. @bird.sean (he's probably on here I just don't know his account name) he'd be able to give you a link to the right people in WA. Can't go wrong with VSR but it's a long trip. -Alex

Comment

Greg do you know John in Seattle with the red m3? Slowprogress on here and IG. Great guy, and probably a great person to ask for local shops. I know the paintwork he had done on his car is beyond top notch.

Comment

Originally posted by Westopher View Post
                Greg do you know John in Seattle with the red m3? Slowprogress on here and IG. Great guy, and probably a great person to ask for local shops. I know the paintwork he had done on his car is beyond top notch.
                I don't know him, but i'm familiar with his car, and follow his IG. If i don't get any good leads on this thread, i'll reach out.

Comment

hi there. if you're looking for restoration quality mechanical work, i'm happy to help out with that. i run a one man, classic BMW shop, but am located in Portland... at least it's the proper coast?

as far as body/paint stuff goes, i can't really help there (i'm not a body man, nor do i want to be). i could assist with helping find a competent body shop, that would meet both your and my standards, should you go that route.

send me a message if you would like to discuss further.

Austin
                  Autobahn Motorsport - Restoration and Service - Portland, Oregon
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3 M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Machine shop - Johnny at Autosports in Ballard
                    Mechanic - Patrick at http://www.midnightmotorsport.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
                      you're looking at $5k just to ship it back and forth from WA to NH, aside from all the work to be done.
                      Shipping is about $1500 each way, enclosed.

E30M3 is a Legend

Comment

I'm in Seattle, doing a complete nut/bolt resto on mine.

I'd be happy to help you sort a few shops but there aren't any "one-stop" shops like VSR as others recommended. Body shop/paint, yep.(arlington) Motor, yep.(kirkland) I'm doing all of the R&R and rebuild in my garage with outsourcing the big stuff like paint/motor. Depending on how far you want to go, its certainly and easily done locally. PM me if you want to chat, im in Newcastle area.

Comment

Look into Racecraft in Seattle or Griots Motors in Tacoma.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                          97 Porsche Carrera S
                          13 Audi S6
                          SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                          GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Working...
                          X