Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some fun at the track in the Michelin car.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some fun at the track in the Michelin car.......

Finally got some things sorted with the car after 18mos of one thing after another. Went to VIR and to CMP on back to back weekends. VIR had some issues so got a couple sessions in on Sunday with no issues. CMP weekend was flawless with just tweaking a mid to off corner hop with the MCS 2W suspension. Still have some adjusting to do. Lots of seat time coming with no more performance mods!! Whew its been a long time coming and almost gave up on it.

https://youtu.be/-nmSnVEVg9w

https://youtu.be/lTl4o_JW0Zw

T

Looking good. Glad to hear you've got it sorted.
    Do you have any previous lap times to compare it to?
    What's the power/weight?

Comment

Is that CMP track fun to drive?
      I have never been to it, it looks like it has a decent flow, no elevation but I like momentum tracks that flow.
      Car sounds great.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Congratulations! Your perseverance has paid off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
          Looking good. Glad to hear you've got it sorted.
          Do you have any previous lap times to compare it to?
          What's the power/weight?
          I think it was 2570 the last time it was corner weighted. I still have stock size battery, power windows etc. Haven't gone down the weight weenie route yet. Thats next along with a PDM.

It's over 300whp on pump 93. I could still change the cams to the 324/304 and go to race gas or E85 and get a good chunk more, but its more than plenty for me.

T

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
            Is that CMP track fun to drive?
            I have never been to it, it looks like it has a decent flow, no elevation but I like momentum tracks that flow.
            Car sounds great.
            It has great flow. Was just resurfaced and new curbs installed last year. I love it and its a bonus that its only 2hrs away. Unlike VIR (my home away from home) that is now 6hrs away. ugh/

T

Comment

Looks amazing!!! I’m doing my first track day in 20 years on Sunday with Nasa at njmp.

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post

It has great flow. Was just resurfaced and new curbs installed last year. I love it and its a bonus that its only 2hrs away. Unlike VIR (my home away from home) that is now 6hrs away. ugh/

T
                Damn I just looked it up, its even farther away for me than VIR which is a stupid long tow for me LOL.
                VIR for me is a long-ish 8 hours sometimes even a bit longer, CMP is coming up as 10-11hrs
                Last edited by jimmy p.; 11-03-2021, 04:12 AM.
                jimmy p.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Looks fantastic, and sounds it too - credit to you. VIR is a beautiful circuit, I'd not appreciated how much so.

Side question - is that recorded on GoPro? I only ask as it appears to have some amount of image stabilisation turned on, but without the jerky yaw motion the recent Hero models exhibit when turning. It's great footage is all!

Comment

Well done your M3 looks and sounds to running superbly, and the track in the 2nd video just looks superb with nice flowing corners and plenty of run off.
                    The Porsche in the video do you know if that was a regular road car or was it modified for track racing, just seemed pretty fast.

E30 M3 1987
                    Mini Clubman GT
                    BMW E36 323 Msport
                    Toyota Corona
                    KTM 200EXC
                    Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Originally posted by Hoofty View Post
                      Looks fantastic, and sounds it too - credit to you. VIR is a beautiful circuit, I'd not appreciated how much so.

Side question - is that recorded on GoPro? I only ask as it appears to have some amount of image stabilisation turned on, but without the jerky yaw motion the recent Hero models exhibit when turning. It's great footage is all!
                      yes it is the Hero9.

T

Comment

Originally posted by Dave @nz View Post
                        Well done your M3 looks and sounds to running superbly, and the track in the 2nd video just looks superb with nice flowing corners and plenty of run off.
                        The Porsche in the video do you know if that was a regular road car or was it modified for track racing, just seemed pretty fast.
                        the black Porsche was a carerra S with lots of track goodies. We had a blast in a couple of different sessions.

T

Comment

Hi Tony,

Thanks for making the video and posting, car sounds amazing, driving is great 80-90% pushing ?

Any lap time you don't mind sharing ?

Is this a Red group you are in ? Track is pretty empty that is amazing Not sure how the organizer is operating but from my end on the track above on say "Button" 1.58min you are not allowed to be in a Red group. Or its mixed session ?

Regards,
                          Anri

E30M3
                          E28M5
                          E24M6
                          E24M6
                          E24M6
                          E24M6
                          E31840Ci/S62.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyh...=dd&shelf_id=0

Comment

Originally posted by First E30 M3 View Post
                            Hi Tony,

Thanks for making the video and posting, car sounds amazing, driving is great 80-90% pushing ?

Any lap time you don't mind sharing ?

Is this a Red group you are in ? Track is pretty empty that is amazing Not sure how the organizer is operating but from my end on the track above on say "Button" 1.58min you are not allowed to be in a Red group. Or its mixed session ?

Regards,
                            Anri
                            I think I got a 2:13 at VIR at the pace you saw. There's a ton more to be had, that's literally the first session I've had in the new car with it right. Still have the wrong diff in it as well. It's a 3.73 with the GrpA trans, need to go back to a 4.10. I never even used 5th gear. you can hear the bog coming out of oak tree and having to shift in the middle of hogpen.

I think my best at CMP was 1:47 and that track was even worse with that diff.

The suspension needs to be dialed in now. I am getting some bad side hop mid to off corners when I try to put power down.

The VIR session was late Sunday when everyone is usually gone. It was the A+ group

T

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post

I think I got a 2:13 at VIR at the pace you saw. There's a ton more to be had, that's literally the first session I've had in the new car with it right. Still have the wrong diff in it as well. It's a 3.73 with the GrpA trans, need to go back to a 4.10. I never even used 5th gear. you can hear the bog coming out of oak tree and having to shift in the middle of hogpen.

T

Tom,

I still believe you will be able to gain from increasing the revs by 500rpm-750rpm which is significant gain/s to be had. At present you are at 8000rpm. For short 4cyl crankshaft this is not that much. I know you have increased stroke and I understand the concept of longer stroke and revs issue/s but still I believe you will be fine with adding more revs which you benefit you. K series with a lot more stroke and nearly identical crankshaft design rev 9k all day every day. So I see no problem with more revs.

When you have more revs the differential choice will change and will give you more freedom with options.

The first factor when one will be choosing gears/diff ratios start all with how many RPM the specific engine will be making and then you build all the rest around it. Track to track will determine what differential ratio will be used to due shorter all taller tracks.

When you say Gr.A transmission do you mean say (Samsonas style) 6 speed dog box or you mean 265 ? What are the ratios ?

Thanks,
                              Anri

E30M3
                              E28M5
                              E24M6
                              E24M6
                              E24M6
                              E24M6
                              E31840Ci/S62.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyh...=dd&shelf_id=0

Comment

Working...
                              X