Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Fun at the track - E30 M3 at various tracks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More Fun at the track - E30 M3 at various tracks

    As we are entering winter for those of us in the Northeast who have winter (looooong winters) Tony's track vids inspired me to post some of my E30 M3 track vids.
    I have lots of them on my hard drive but I have posted a few from regional tracks in the NEDIV on You Tube.

    2.3 litre E30M3 running in SCCA SPU class.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLZ...bYLq0TNns0fDfg

    Cheers
    Jimmy P
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10


  • #2
    Nice... What diff were you running at the first 2 WGI events?

    Comment


    • #3
      in the first two as in most recent ones posted thats a 4.27 w/ my GForce T5
      In the first two as in the oldest ones posted thats a 4.10 w/ my GForce T5
      In my oldest video posted from Summit Point thats a Getrag 265/5 with a 3.73
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Jimmy,

        Could you share your gear box ratios ?

        Thanks,
        Anri



        E30M3
        E28M5
        E24M6
        E24M6
        E24M6
        E24M6
        E31840Ci/S62.

        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyh...=dd&shelf_id=0

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by First E30 M3 View Post
          Hi Jimmy,
          Could you share your gear box ratios ?
          Thanks,
          Anri
          (1) 2.94
          (2) 1.94
          (3) 1.34
          (4) 1.00
          (5) .90

          GForce has a fairly limited selection in dog ring gear sets for the T5, this is what they considered their Road Race gear set.
          The bulk of their customer base for these were V8 powered cars like Mustangs and Camaros.

          I picked this trans mainly for 3 reasons
          Physical dimensions were pretty close to the G265, Weight was very very close to G265, Cost for a brand new straight cut, dog ring trans was ~$2800 including the adapter plate they made for me to bolt it to the S14 bell housing.
          Another parameter that factored high in the choices was it had to be easily serviceable nearby and internal consumables were inexpensive.
          Its certainly nowhere near as good as a real 265 based Gruppe A trans or a Samsonas, or a Drenth - Quaife - Hewland - Holinger but the initial costs and consumables are nowhere in the same ballpark.
          Cheers
          jimmy p


          jimmy p.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 - V10

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
            Its certainly nowhere near as good as a real 265 based Gruppe A trans or a Samsonas, or a Drenth - Quaife - Hewland - Holinger but the initial costs and consumables are nowhere in the same ballpark.
            Cheers
            jimmy p

            In what way do you consider it worse than the other options Jimmy? I'm trying to find a more track oriented gearbox for my car. Not full sequential, but something faster than the stock gearbox and with better ratios.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

              In what way do you consider it worse than the other options Jimmy? I'm trying to find a more track oriented gearbox for my car. Not full sequential, but something faster than the stock gearbox and with better ratios.
              Well I'd like a taller 1st gear, right now 1st is like a paddock and trailer gear.
              2-5 are all useable on track, but something closer to a 2.40 or 2.20 1st then tighten up the rest appropriatly would be great, but this trans was never intended for a small displacement engine.
              In your car it would rock, lightweight, V8 you can easily dig out of those larger RPM drops than an S14.
              On my trans the 4-5 gear drop is amazing, I wish they were all like that.

              S1 Sequential out of Australia makes a super slick sequential shifter conversion for both the T5, the T56 and also a growing list of other common transmissions.
              I bought one, unfortunately on my T5 trans we used a really oddball application longer tail shaft to place the shifter in the hole perfectly on an E30 chassis, and my shifter docent fit the shifter cup so we need to do a little custom mod to it to fit.

              That straight cut T5 gear set I have I think is rated at 600hp, not sure what yours is putting down.
              jimmy p.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 - V10

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

                Well I'd like a taller 1st gear, right now 1st is like a paddock and trailer gear.
                2-5 are all useable on track, but something closer to a 2.40 or 2.20 1st then tighten up the rest appropriatly would be great, but this trans was never intended for a small displacement engine.
                In your car it would rock, lightweight, V8 you can easily dig out of those larger RPM drops than an S14.
                On my trans the 4-5 gear drop is amazing, I wish they were all like that.

                S1 Sequential out of Australia makes a super slick sequential shifter conversion for both the T5, the T56 and also a growing list of other common transmissions.
                I bought one, unfortunately on my T5 trans we used a really oddball application longer tail shaft to place the shifter in the hole perfectly on an E30 chassis, and my shifter docent fit the shifter cup so we need to do a little custom mod to it to fit.

                That straight cut T5 gear set I have I think is rated at 600hp, not sure what yours is putting down.
                I'm talking about a gearbox for my M3....not that other...thing....LOL. So maybe 270 HP? I've just never liked the stock Getrag 265. I put a 4.45 final drive in, but 5th gear is still useless on track, and I HATE how slow the 2-3 and 3-2 shifts are. Maybe the Samsonas gearset is my best choice, but I don't even know of anyone anymore whom I would trust to tear down the 265 and install it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

                  I'm talking about a gearbox for my M3....not that other...thing....LOL. So maybe 270 HP? I've just never liked the stock Getrag 265. I put a 4.45 final drive in, but 5th gear is still useless on track, and I HATE how slow the 2-3 and 3-2 shifts are. Maybe the Samsonas gearset is my best choice, but I don't even know of anyone anymore whom I would trust to tear down the 265 and install it.
                  LOL Ohhhhh I thought you were talking about that other thing. That trans would rock in the other thing.
                  Yes IMHO this trans is better on track than a stock G265 of either variant.

                  The Samsonas gear set is AWESOME, if I had to be driving an H pattern trans and money was no object thats what I would have.
                  But returning to the real world I think the gears alone around the cost of 2.5 of my GForce T5 transmissions before you pay someone to build the trans and then all your replacement parts ultimately have to come from Lithuania and you still have to have in your address book someone who works on Getrag trannies.

                  Pretty much "anyone" can work on a T5.
                  If GForce was not so close to me I would be doing my own internal services on it.
                  I've already had it apart numerous times myself.
                  If I ever decided to spend anywhere near that money I would go all the way to a Drenth / Quaife / Saenz / insert sequential trans here.
                  Last edited by jimmy p.; 11-06-2021, 10:02 AM.
                  jimmy p.
                  87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                  88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                  88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                  92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                  98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                  04 Ford F350 - V10

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

                    I'm talking about a gearbox for my M3....not that other...thing....LOL. So maybe 270 HP? I've just never liked the stock Getrag 265. I put a 4.45 final drive in, but 5th gear is still useless on track, and I HATE how slow the 2-3 and 3-2 shifts are. Maybe the Samsonas gearset is my best choice, but I don't even know of anyone anymore whom I would trust to tear down the 265 and install it.
                    Although I bought my Samsonas used from another member it’s my understanding that they will do the conversion at Fercomp Samsonas (US HQ) in North Carolina.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

                      (1) 2.94
                      (2) 1.94
                      (3) 1.34
                      (4) 1.00
                      (5) .90

                      Jimmy,

                      Please provide me the tire size you'r driving on and also what is the top speed at the longest straight at the track you drove in the video? say the last vide from your youtube channel you have uploaded.

                      Also, are you limited on revs per regulations ? if yes what is the limit ?

                      Have you scaled the transmission with the bell housing ?

                      Thanks,
                      Anri
                      E30M3
                      E28M5
                      E24M6
                      E24M6
                      E24M6
                      E24M6
                      E31840Ci/S62.

                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyh...=dd&shelf_id=0

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post

                        Although I bought my Samsonas used from another member it’s my understanding that they will do the conversion at Fercomp Samsonas (US HQ) in North Carolina.
                        Thats good intel. Really good to know. I'm curious what their out the door cost would be because thats a beautiful gearbox. I'd also love to hear some consumable costs like face plates, etc.
                        jimmy p.
                        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                        04 Ford F350 - V10

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by First E30 M3 View Post

                          Jimmy,

                          Please provide me the tire size you'r driving on and also what is the top speed at the longest straight at the track you drove in the video? say the last vide from your youtube channel you have uploaded.

                          Also, are you limited on revs per regulations ? if yes what is the limit ?

                          Have you scaled the transmission with the bell housing ?

                          Thanks,
                          Anri
                          Hi Anri,
                          I use a Hoosier 245 / 580-15" which is 22.9" tall
                          The yellow shift light on my dash comes on at 7800 rpm
                          Rev limiter is at 8000
                          No rules limits, but my motor has stock valve sizes and is still shim over so I keep it at 8000 rpms as its happy place.
                          Its not making any power over that anyway.
                          So with the current 4.27 diff when you see that light come on in high gear I'm going 138-ish MPH

                          No I did not put it on a scale but GForce had the trans weight and the adapter plate is a couple lbs of aluminum.
                          In all my searching it was the lightest 5 speed straight gear / dog ring combo I could find.
                          It was very close in weight to the 265 (within a few lbs I think 6 lbs delta) and I went to a simple one piece driveshaft so the slight over on the trans was countered by the lesser weight on the driveshaft.
                          Last edited by jimmy p.; 11-07-2021, 04:48 AM.
                          jimmy p.
                          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                          04 Ford F350 - V10

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

                            Thats good intel. Really good to know. I'm curious what their out the door cost would be because thats a beautiful gearbox. I'd also love to hear some consumable costs like face plates, etc.
                            Gears are $250 each I’m told. Unsure on cost of bearings.

                            I think all in it’s about $7500 ish.

                            it’s the single most badass thing I’ve done to my racecar. The acceleration is so much better I’ve had to relearn everything. V8 cars that pulled me before are now in my sights all the way down road America’s straights

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post

                              Gears are $250 each I’m told. Unsure on cost of bearings.

                              I think all in it’s about $7500 ish.

                              it’s the single most badass thing I’ve done to my racecar. The acceleration is so much better I’ve had to relearn everything. V8 cars that pulled me before are now in my sights all the way down road America’s straights
                              Thats pretty darn reasonable. I broke a 2nd gear faceplate on mine a few years ago and it was around $200 to repair so if thats right thats pretty reasonable.
                              jimmy p.
                              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                              04 Ford F350 - V10

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X