Quick question on manual windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question on manual windows

Were wind up windows ever an option on our cars?

Never in the US, but I know some people converted to manual windows, esp in race cars to save weight. I happen to have a brand new set of manual window mechanisms I might decide to sell someday.

Ron
    Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
    • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
    • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
    • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
    • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
    • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
    • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
    • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
    • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
    • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Ron ///Man View Post
      Never in the US, but I know some people converted to manual windows, esp in race cars to save weight. I happen to have a brand new set of manual window mechanisms I might decide to sell someday.

Ron
      Ron always teasing us with his parts stash...lol

E30M3 is a Legend

Comment

Hey Ron,
        I seem to remember you (and I think Mitch Herman) did the manual window conversion when you were both running in Prepared.
        Do I also remember correctly that you told me the net savings was almost nothing that the power motors were so light that it was very little?
        Thats been a while but its always stuck with me.
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Me too. I still have power windows in my track car and love it. I've been telling myself it's pointless to swap to manual.

Comment

One of the few things I won't remove to save weight...
            "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
            "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
            onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

What's the net savings when the doors are 'gutted'? I haven't ventured down the weight saving route yet, I just added more power lol. Tempted to go this route on the next phase though.

T

Comment

Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post
                What's the net savings when the doors are 'gutted'? I haven't ventured down the weight saving route yet, I just added more power lol. Tempted to go this route on the next phase though.

T
                Alot
                My Gruppe A car has full doors with roll up windows which was to the rules of the BTCC in that period.
                My club racer doors are completely gutted.
                Huge difference.
                I have them both setup as lift offs.
                I can carry the ones for my club racer with 2 or 3 fingers
                The Gruppe A car doors require a bit more "gas" when I go to pick them up.
                Last edited by jimmy p.; 11-09-2021, 04:49 AM.
                jimmy p.
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

Alot
                  My Gruppe A car has full doors with roll up windows which was to the rules of the BTCC in that period.
                  My club racer doors are completely gutted.
                  Huge difference.
                  I have them both setup as lift offs.
                  I can carry the ones for my club racer with 2 or 3 fingers
                  The Gruppe A car doors require a bit more "gas" when I go to pick them up.
                  So say 50lbs total? I have CF door cards so not worried about how they would 'look'. Although all the panels on my car have the original vin except the EVOIII front fenders. Don't know if I want to take it that far lol. The sunroof tray has been cut out so I guess it really doesn't matter in the long run.

I'll start a new thread on weight savings things to do. I have no idea how the heck they got them down to 2000lbs if mine is at 25xx gutted with cage? Where would several hundred pounds come from?

T

Comment

So say 50lbs total? I have CF door cards so not worried about how they would 'look'. Although all the panels on my car have the original vin except the EVOIII front fenders. Don't know if I want to take it that far lol. The sunroof tray has been cut out so I guess it really doesn't matter in the long run.

I'll start a new thread on weight savings things to do. I have no idea how the heck they got them down to 2000lbs if mine is at 25xx gutted with cage? Where would several hundred pounds come from?

T
                    When I get home in Jan I can weigh them, I never have, mainly because its two completely different schools, the Prodrive car I aim to keep as period correct as possible (and still drive it).
                    The Club Racer I try to make as light as possible period lol.
                    I dont know if the delta is 50lbs, I'd say the delta might be more like 25-30 lbs but to me 25-30 lbs in a race car qualifies as "alot". Now you have me wondering.
                    I know when I pull the drivers door off to put the car in the trailer it requires almost no effort, when I do that with the Prodrive car I have to think about it so I dont drop it on my foot and break my toes (and the really cool cheater glass thats in it).
                    The Gruppe A shells are magic.
                    My silver race car is 2460 w/ me in it in impound, thats w/ gutted everything, composite fenders, hood, trunk, wing 15" wheels, 11.7" rotors, full lexan, no headlights.
                    My Gruppe A car weighs about the same with full glass windows, working headlights, all steel body parts, 17" wheels and 330mm brakes.
                    Those were no ordinary shells.
                    jimmy p.
                    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

T-money, are you thinking about manual cranks, AND CF/FG doors, AND polycarb windows? Because I think that would save you a ton.

The window motors alone are not heavy at all, less than 2 lbs. Didn't seem worth the lost convenience.

Pelican has part weights on their website, very helpful in deciding what to rip out and throw away!
                      https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...hoCis4QAvD_BwE
                      "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
                      "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
                      onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Originally posted by mrsha007 View Post
                        T-money, are you thinking about manual cranks, AND CF/FG doors, AND polycarb windows? Because I think that would save you a ton.

The window motors alone are not heavy at all, less than 2 lbs. Didn't seem worth the lost convenience.

Pelican has part weights on their website, very helpful in deciding what to rip out and throw away!
                        https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...hoCis4QAvD_BwE
                        Not just the glass and motors. totally gutting the doors and cutting out all the metal. Just hurts on doors that have the original VIN on them. My car is not that far gone other than sunroof tray cut out.

T

Comment

Not just the glass and motors. totally gutting the doors and cutting out all the metal. Just hurts on doors that have the original VIN on them. My car is not that far gone other than sunroof tray cut out.

T
                          Couldn't you find some regular E30 doors and run those? I thought doors, roofs and hoods were all interchangeable with the regular E30s. That would save a good set of M3 doors and you would good to go for making some lightweight doors.

Will
                          '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
                          '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
                          '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Couldn't you find some regular E30 doors and run those? I thought doors, roofs and hoods were all interchangeable with the regular E30s. That would save a good set of M3 doors and you would good to go for making some lightweight doors.

Will
                            m3 doors are different. May not make that much of a difference on a track car though. Good thought.

T

Comment

m3 doors are different. May not make that much of a difference on a track car though. Good thought.

T
                              The only difference is where the bump strip was on a standard e30. For your car you could get an e30 door, fill and sand / prime the door and just rewrap it Michelin style, no paint required

Comment

Working...
                              X