• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    stevesingo
    Registered

• stevesingo
    replied
    For UK Sport Evos, POwer windows were an option, as was everything inc power mirrors.

I always thought that would be a cool spec for a Sport Evo. No sunroof, no AC, no power windows, no power mirrors, a proper lightweight spec from the factory.

Leave a comment:

• HANDBLT
    2.7L Beast

• HANDBLT
    replied
    Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post

The only difference is where the bump strip was on a standard e30. For your car you could get an e30 door, fill and sand / prime the door and just rewrap it Michelin style, no paint required
    I’m pretty sure the buldge/contour of the door is different. But again on a track car wouldn’t matter.

t

Leave a comment:

• 1990m3
    ::dedicated::

• 1990m3
    replied
    Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post

m3 doors are different. May not make that much of a difference on a track car though. Good thought.

T
    The only difference is where the bump strip was on a standard e30. For your car you could get an e30 door, fill and sand / prime the door and just rewrap it Michelin style, no paint required

Leave a comment:

• HANDBLT
    2.7L Beast

• HANDBLT
    replied
    Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Couldn't you find some regular E30 doors and run those? I thought doors, roofs and hoods were all interchangeable with the regular E30s. That would save a good set of M3 doors and you would good to go for making some lightweight doors.

Will
    m3 doors are different. May not make that much of a difference on a track car though. Good thought.

T

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    Registered

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Not just the glass and motors. totally gutting the doors and cutting out all the metal. Just hurts on doors that have the original VIN on them. My car is not that far gone other than sunroof tray cut out.

T
    Couldn't you find some regular E30 doors and run those? I thought doors, roofs and hoods were all interchangeable with the regular E30s. That would save a good set of M3 doors and you would good to go for making some lightweight doors.

Will

Leave a comment:

• HANDBLT
    2.7L Beast

• HANDBLT
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsha007 View Post
    T-money, are you thinking about manual cranks, AND CF/FG doors, AND polycarb windows? Because I think that would save you a ton.

The window motors alone are not heavy at all, less than 2 lbs. Didn't seem worth the lost convenience.

Pelican has part weights on their website, very helpful in deciding what to rip out and throw away!
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...hoCis4QAvD_BwE
    Not just the glass and motors. totally gutting the doors and cutting out all the metal. Just hurts on doors that have the original VIN on them. My car is not that far gone other than sunroof tray cut out.

T

Leave a comment:

• mrsha007
    replied
    T-money, are you thinking about manual cranks, AND CF/FG doors, AND polycarb windows? Because I think that would save you a ton.

The window motors alone are not heavy at all, less than 2 lbs. Didn't seem worth the lost convenience.

Pelican has part weights on their website, very helpful in deciding what to rip out and throw away!
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...hoCis4QAvD_BwE

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    3 x e30 m3s All with S14s

• jimmy p.
    replied

So say 50lbs total? I have CF door cards so not worried about how they would 'look'. Although all the panels on my car have the original vin except the EVOIII front fenders. Don't know if I want to take it that far lol. The sunroof tray has been cut out so I guess it really doesn't matter in the long run.

I'll start a new thread on weight savings things to do. I have no idea how the heck they got them down to 2000lbs if mine is at 25xx gutted with cage? Where would several hundred pounds come from?

T
    When I get home in Jan I can weigh them, I never have, mainly because its two completely different schools, the Prodrive car I aim to keep as period correct as possible (and still drive it).
    The Club Racer I try to make as light as possible period lol.
    I dont know if the delta is 50lbs, I'd say the delta might be more like 25-30 lbs but to me 25-30 lbs in a race car qualifies as "alot". Now you have me wondering.
    I know when I pull the drivers door off to put the car in the trailer it requires almost no effort, when I do that with the Prodrive car I have to think about it so I dont drop it on my foot and break my toes (and the really cool cheater glass thats in it).
    The Gruppe A shells are magic.
    My silver race car is 2460 w/ me in it in impound, thats w/ gutted everything, composite fenders, hood, trunk, wing 15" wheels, 11.7" rotors, full lexan, no headlights.
    My Gruppe A car weighs about the same with full glass windows, working headlights, all steel body parts, 17" wheels and 330mm brakes.
    Those were no ordinary shells.

Leave a comment:

• HANDBLT
    2.7L Beast

• HANDBLT
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

Alot
    My Gruppe A car has full doors with roll up windows which was to the rules of the BTCC in that period.
    My club racer doors are completely gutted.
    Huge difference.
    I have them both setup as lift offs.
    I can carry the ones for my club racer with 2 or 3 fingers
    The Gruppe A car doors require a bit more "gas" when I go to pick them up.
    So say 50lbs total? I have CF door cards so not worried about how they would 'look'. Although all the panels on my car have the original vin except the EVOIII front fenders. Don't know if I want to take it that far lol. The sunroof tray has been cut out so I guess it really doesn't matter in the long run.

I'll start a new thread on weight savings things to do. I have no idea how the heck they got them down to 2000lbs if mine is at 25xx gutted with cage? Where would several hundred pounds come from?

T

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.

• jimmy p.
    replied
    What's the net savings when the doors are 'gutted'? I haven't ventured down the weight saving route yet, I just added more power lol. Tempted to go this route on the next phase though.

T
    Alot
    My Gruppe A car has full doors with roll up windows which was to the rules of the BTCC in that period.
    My club racer doors are completely gutted.
    Huge difference.
    I have them both setup as lift offs.
    I can carry the ones for my club racer with 2 or 3 fingers
    The Gruppe A car doors require a bit more "gas" when I go to pick them up.
    jimmy p.
    Last edited by jimmy p.; 11-09-2021, 04:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HANDBLT
    2.7L Beast

• HANDBLT
    replied
    What's the net savings when the doors are 'gutted'? I haven't ventured down the weight saving route yet, I just added more power lol. Tempted to go this route on the next phase though.

T

Leave a comment:

• mrsha007
    replied
    One of the few things I won't remove to save weight...

Leave a comment:

• Mick
    replied
    Me too. I still have power windows in my track car and love it. I've been telling myself it's pointless to swap to manual.

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.

• jimmy p.
    replied
    Hey Ron,
    I seem to remember you (and I think Mitch Herman) did the manual window conversion when you were both running in Prepared.
    Do I also remember correctly that you told me the net savings was almost nothing that the power motors were so light that it was very little?
    Thats been a while but its always stuck with me.

Leave a comment:

• 168glhs1986
    2.3 2.5 2.5 race 3.0 3.4

• 168glhs1986
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron ///Man View Post
    Never in the US, but I know some people converted to manual windows, esp in race cars to save weight. I happen to have a brand new set of manual window mechanisms I might decide to sell someday.

Ron
    Ron always teasing us with his parts stash...lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X