Race car weight savings......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I carry the FIA homologation papers in my trailer so if I have to prove the parts on my car are period correct or in the spirit of originality, I can

Fortunately nobody really cares about some regional midwest racing!

Comment

Interesting thread!
        Recently finished rebuilding my old grA car and just bought scales. To my surprise it was heavier than I thought and hoped.
        1060 kg with appr 10 liter fuel. Thats a 100 kg over the Fia minimum back then.
        This car has all original steel panels and hood, and the stock heavy trunk lid.
        According the fia HTP it shall have all original panels, only thing I can replace is the trunk lid. How much would I save there?

Comment

• bmwdayz
          bmwdayz commented
          Editing a comment
          First off that car is beautiful, good job! I made a carbon trunk lid for my car and it weighs 3.5 pounds. The stock lid I think was 22-23 pounds. So you wouldn't save much there but it's a start. Did you weigh your car with the pass seat installed? Thats some weight right there

• nilsp
          nilsp commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks.. its with the seat, but not going to use during races. Just fitting to have ready for passenger on trackdays. Its actually quite light, old die wethje seat.

Beautiful resto.
        What chassis number is it?
        I see it has X door bars so that would make it later than mine.

Do you have the history on the chassis from its race days, I love hearing the back stories of each chassis.

Sorry if I have asked you this before...

Mine has all steel parts and real glass windows, headlights, etc. But my version has some of the Evo 2 parts the lighter trunk lid, the thin glass, front bumper is a FG race shell.
        Mine weighed just over 2200 lbs when we weighed it so just slightly less than yours.
        Which fuel cell and front suspension versions are in yours?
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Beautiful cars Nils, looks perfect!!

Comment

• nilsp
            nilsp commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, its been a process, lots of new things in the motorsport world :p

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
          Beautiful resto.
          What chassis number is it?
          I see it has X door bars so that would make it later than mine.

Do you have the history on the chassis from its race days, I love hearing the back stories of each chassis.

Sorry if I have asked you this before...

Mine has all steel parts and real glass windows, headlights, etc. But my version has some of the Evo 2 parts the lighter trunk lid, the thin glass, front bumper is a FG race shell.
          Mine weighed just over 2200 lbs when we weighed it so just slightly less than yours.
          Which fuel cell and front suspension versions are in yours?
          Thx Jimmy.

I have all papers from new, but its not a matter chassis, private built using parts from linder team, cage is a omp.
          Used for hillclimb racing in italy. Seems several people in north italy back in those times did this, short way to linder team and bought more or less complete kit with parts, probably some that were a little out of spec.
          This car was built winter 91 on a new shell, 2.5 ms engine and 6 speed etc.. ap 343mm brakes.. small centerbolt wheels, but suspension was steel uprights, guess they saved the money.
          Now it has new correct uprights, rear suspension is something I had from a different car, first gen ms with adjustable trailing arms.
          Car was found in Croatia, didnt look very nice at all, but had all the original parts and had been sitting unused since 1996 as far as I know, and everything has seemed that this is true.
          -the bonus that werent informed in the ad was that it had a extra block, head, camshousing,5 speed and propshaft (different length vs 6 speed) and 2 spare differentials with it all original ms parts.
          The fuel cell was 120 liter from 91, now I use a 45 liter ATL well cell..

Have found many youtube videos with my car from back then, lots of these events were even sent on television.
          Inboard film;
          Salita Vittorio Veneto 1993, Cameracar gara, prima e seconda manche (seconda manche da brivido) - YouTube

Lots of m3's from 0.45 in this ; both grN and grA cars. MIne at 1.45
          16. caprino spiazzi 1993. parte3 - YouTube

Comment

Working...
          X