commented on 's reply
    Thanks, its been a process, lots of new things in the motorsport world :p
  • nilsp

• nilsp
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
    Beautiful resto.
    What chassis number is it?
    I see it has X door bars so that would make it later than mine.

Do you have the history on the chassis from its race days, I love hearing the back stories of each chassis.

Sorry if I have asked you this before...

Mine has all steel parts and real glass windows, headlights, etc. But my version has some of the Evo 2 parts the lighter trunk lid, the thin glass, front bumper is a FG race shell.
    Mine weighed just over 2200 lbs when we weighed it so just slightly less than yours.
    Which fuel cell and front suspension versions are in yours?
    Thx Jimmy.

I have all papers from new, but its not a matter chassis, private built using parts from linder team, cage is a omp.
    Used for hillclimb racing in italy. Seems several people in north italy back in those times did this, short way to linder team and bought more or less complete kit with parts, probably some that were a little out of spec.
    This car was built winter 91 on a new shell, 2.5 ms engine and 6 speed etc.. ap 343mm brakes.. small centerbolt wheels, but suspension was steel uprights, guess they saved the money.
    Now it has new correct uprights, rear suspension is something I had from a different car, first gen ms with adjustable trailing arms.
    Car was found in Croatia, didnt look very nice at all, but had all the original parts and had been sitting unused since 1996 as far as I know, and everything has seemed that this is true.
    -the bonus that werent informed in the ad was that it had a extra block, head, camshousing,5 speed and propshaft (different length vs 6 speed) and 2 spare differentials with it all original ms parts.
    The fuel cell was 120 liter from 91, now I use a 45 liter ATL well cell..

Have found many youtube videos with my car from back then, lots of these events were even sent on television.
    Inboard film;
    Salita Vittorio Veneto 1993, Cameracar gara, prima e seconda manche (seconda manche da brivido) - YouTube

Lots of m3's from 0.45 in this ; both grN and grA cars. MIne at 1.45
    16. caprino spiazzi 1993. parte3 - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• nilsp

• nilsp
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks.. its with the seat, but not going to use during races. Just fitting to have ready for passenger on trackdays. Its actually quite light, old die wethje seat.
  • 1990m3
    ::dedicated::

• 1990m3
    replied
    Beautiful cars Nils, looks perfect!!

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    3 x e30 m3s All with S14s

• jimmy p.
    replied
    Beautiful resto.
    What chassis number is it?
    I see it has X door bars so that would make it later than mine.

Do you have the history on the chassis from its race days, I love hearing the back stories of each chassis.

Sorry if I have asked you this before...

Mine has all steel parts and real glass windows, headlights, etc. But my version has some of the Evo 2 parts the lighter trunk lid, the thin glass, front bumper is a FG race shell.
    Mine weighed just over 2200 lbs when we weighed it so just slightly less than yours.
    Which fuel cell and front suspension versions are in yours?

Leave a comment:

• bmwdayz

• bmwdayz
    commented on 's reply
    First off that car is beautiful, good job! I made a carbon trunk lid for my car and it weighs 3.5 pounds. The stock lid I think was 22-23 pounds. So you wouldn't save much there but it's a start. Did you weigh your car with the pass seat installed? Thats some weight right there
  • nilsp

• nilsp
    replied
    Interesting thread!
    Recently finished rebuilding my old grA car and just bought scales. To my surprise it was heavier than I thought and hoped.
    1060 kg with appr 10 liter fuel. Thats a 100 kg over the Fia minimum back then.
    This car has all original steel panels and hood, and the stock heavy trunk lid.
    According the fia HTP it shall have all original panels, only thing I can replace is the trunk lid. How much would I save there?

Leave a comment:

• 1990m3

• 1990m3
    replied
    I carry the FIA homologation papers in my trailer so if I have to prove the parts on my car are period correct or in the spirit of originality, I can

Fortunately nobody really cares about some regional midwest racing!

Leave a comment:

• Gregg
    Registered

• Gregg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• HANDBLT
    2.7L Beast

• HANDBLT
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsha007 View Post
    1990m3
    1990m3 have you compared a single 2.5” to a double 2” and see which is more hp/lbs?

Has anyone gone super crazy and used a carbon fiber steering column shaft and carbon fiber drive shaft? Curious how much that was save, especially given that it’s in the drivetrain.
    I went with 3" all the way back and it worked out great. Zero 4-1 to 3" with a 4"x18" resonator in the center and one at the back.

T

Leave a comment:

• HANDBLT
    2.7L Beast

• HANDBLT
    replied
    Originally posted by Mick View Post
    Speaking of - Next season we (mid & north east) should push to do a track day as a group. Last time it came up it felt like we were trying to do too much by all running in the same group and accommodating novices... We should just pick a time/place and get it the fuck done.

I don't want to run this thread off topic, I'll start a thread about it early spring.
    VIR Full course in the spring with Tarheel. we already have 10 there on the regular. I think there were 11 at the last one.

T

Leave a comment:

• Mick
    replied
    Speaking of - Next season we (mid & north east) should push to do a track day as a group. Last time it came up it felt like we were trying to do too much by all running in the same group and accommodating novices... We should just pick a time/place and get it the fuck done.

I don't want to run this thread off topic, I'll start a thread about it early spring.

Leave a comment:

• 1990m3

• 1990m3
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

Thats why you are such a good friend.
    I have thought about that more than once just to get an A-B at summit, but the reality is it would probably take us a few weekends to really get you used to the car.
    Let's meet up and trade cars for a couple of sessions, I promise I won't need a couple of weekends to get up to speed

Leave a comment:

• 1990m3

• 1990m3
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsha007 View Post
    1990m3
    1990m3 have you compared a single 2.5” to a double 2” and see which is more hp/lbs?

Has anyone gone super crazy and used a carbon fiber steering column shaft and carbon fiber drive shaft? Curious how much that was save, especially given that it’s in the drivetrain.
    No, I didn't compare the HP, but I can say that my motor made more power than I expected and although I'm sure more gains are available I was happy to leave good enough alone. It's way lighter than a dual setup and literally comes on and off in under 10 minutes which has a lot of value for me when I wrench between events.

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    3 x e30 m3s All with S14s

• jimmy p.
    replied
    Originally posted by mlytle View Post

Hey Jimmy...i would only do this for a good friend, but if I drive the car for you on track....it would take another 35lbs off that impound weight......
    the sacrifices i am willing make are immense....;-)
    Thats why you are such a good friend.
    I have thought about that more than once just to get an A-B at summit, but the reality is it would probably take us a few weekends to really get you used to the car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X