Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help - ID electrical connector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need help - ID electrical connector

    My first post here! I own a 1988 E30 M3 and I am looking for someone to ID an under-hood connector for me please so that I can replace it. My connector was so brittle that it just disintegrated! :(

    This is a multi-pin connector (w/ only two wires used) that is normally clipped to the side of the fuse box. I can use the P/N or where I can source one. Thank you.



  • #2
    Looks like an Auxiliary fuse box.. Mine does not have this but have seen others that do.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dudley123 View Post
      Looks like an Auxiliary fuse box.. Mine does not have this but have seen others that do.
      What was there, I think(!) was a black/grey multi-pin connector that "clipped" to the side of the fuse box. It disintegrated in my hand it was so brittle. Two wires of the multi-pin connector were used as shown in the picture.

      I am looking for the P/N for the connector. Thank you.

      Comment


      • #4
        I still have this on my track car, want me to pull it for you?

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm obviously clueless. working in the garage tonight and I look at my fusebox.. I do have it. .Accessory fusebox

          PN: 1382197
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/264622208381





          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CamayroZ View Post
            My first post here! I own a 1988 E30 M3 and I am looking for someone to ID an under-hood connector for me please so that I can replace it. My connector was so brittle that it just disintegrated! :(

            This is a multi-pin connector (w/ only two wires used) that is normally clipped to the side of the fuse box. I can use the P/N or where I can source one. Thank you.

            61 13 1 382 196 Fuse box
            61 13 1 382 197 Cover for fuse holder

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you very much! Really appreciate it and the parts are still available!

              What is the function of this part please since nothing is connected to it anyhow.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CamayroZ View Post
                Thank you very much! Really appreciate it and the parts are still available!

                What is the function of this part please since nothing is connected to it anyhow.
                I always wondered where the other end of the fused wires are to connect to myself? Do you have the pin them yourself and insert them into the 'fuse box' thingy?

                T

                Comment


                • #9
                  The version of that box in my car, and every other car I have seen, has a clear top. There are two fused circuits in it. One is hot all the time, one is ignition keyed. They are very useful for accesories. Stereo, radar detectors, etc.
                  75 M2 Zinno
                  88 M3 Henna

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mlytle View Post
                    The version of that box in my car, and every other car I have seen, has a clear top. There are two fused circuits in it. One is hot all the time, one is ignition keyed. They are very useful for accesories. Stereo, radar detectors, etc.
                    but where are the connections to these fuses/wires? like if you needed a +12v hot all the time connection under the hood, where do you connect it to the hot all the time fused side? Do you have to run your wire into the connector and pin it yourself?

                    T

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes. The boot for the aux fuse box has an extra nub to feed a wire in. You would pin it and ithen nsert a fuse.

                      I've never seen a clear cover on these. I suppose that when it's unused it would have an opaque cover and when used you would use a clear cover so that you could inspect the fuse without opening.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        mine, as it came from the factory. my 325e and several 325is's also came this way. two circuits nicely setup with screw terminals, fuses, and openings in cover for wires. green is switched, red is always hot.





                        and my 325e



                        75 M2 Zinno
                        88 M3 Henna

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mlytle View Post
                          mine, as it came from the factory. my 325e and several 325is's also came this way. two circuits nicely setup with screw terminals, fuses, and openings in cover for wires. green is switched, red is always hot.





                          and my 325e


                          These are the ones I have seen. Never seen the other one before. Makes sense now.

                          T

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dudley123 View Post

                            This has become an interesting thread as there are always variations in the E30. My car is an October 1987 build and I have owned it for a long long time. Mine looked like the picture above and the lid was OK, but the body itself was so brittle that after the last time I detailed/cleaned the engine compartment that it just completely fell apart! Anyhow, thanks to you guy I ordered a replacement body.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mlytle View Post
                              mine, as it came from the factory. my 325e and several 325is's also came this way. two circuits nicely setup with screw terminals, fuses, and openings in cover for wires. green is switched, red is always hot.





                              and my 325e


                              Interesting. Yours is a different base from the one the OP has, and what is in my cars. Looks like yours is what would have been used if accessories were factory installed whereas the other is set up for future expansion.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X