My Engine Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Engine Rebuild

Hi all, my M3 came with a 2.5L Metric Mechanics rebuilt motor that had issues (stemming back to the initial rebuild, you can imagine how disappointed I was to find that out). With @10k on the rebuild the motor had compression issues, the head was a mess, etc.

So I decided to make things right and am in the process of having a local performance BMW shop do the work (sent the head to VSR to be worked on). Also adding a lightweight flywheel, new exhaust, short shift kit. Everything being done by the book and has had the best hands on it and best parts in it. Expecting a noticeable improvement in power/performance. Here's a few pics...

Also a ton of info and vids at the shop's IG page: https://www.instagram.com/stories/hi...6939404540186/

Pretty enjoyable viewing

Comment

I’m usually too lazy to go over to Instagram but I’m glad I did, good viewing! Looks like your motor is in capable hands.
      1989 Lachs
      1988 Lachs - sold
      1988 DS - sold
      Car blog
      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

It all looks great, I'm sure you will love the result.

Over all my years of involvement with these cars, I have never heard anything good about Metric Mechanic....so it's not just you.

Comment

Metric Mechanics rebuild...ugh. Surprised it lasted 10k miles. Sounds like you're getting it sorted now. Up and UP

E30M3 is a Legend

Comment

3 s14's all dyno'd on the same dyno the same day

First one was all original with zero mods, it put down 167 Hp

Second S14 was Build by Ben Thongsai, 2.3 with mild port match done by me and I installed 284/276 cams, otherwise stock and it made 207 Hp

Third was a 2.5 built by Metric Mechanic, It made 187 Hp

Pretty disappointing Hp number for a 12k 2.5 S14

Comment

Originally posted by bmwdayz View Post
              3 s14's all dyno'd on the same dyno the same day

First one was all original with zero mods, it put down 167 Hp

Second S14 was Build by Ben Thongsai, 2.3 with mild port match done by me and I installed 284/276 cams, otherwise stock and it made 207 Hp

Third was a 2.5 built by Metric Mechanic, It made 187 Hp

Pretty disappointing Hp number for a 12k 2.5 S14
              what chips were in each car? if the engine(s) are not 'tuned', to each individual build, most importantly the ignition map (where all the power is made with an AFM) who knows what they are.

what did their area under the curves look like?

all the power in an S14 is in the head and cams. of course the ported one with cams did better. what cams were in the 2.5? Did it have the exhaust cam as well that they liked to use?

T

Comment

• bmwdayz
                bmwdayz
                bmwdayz commented
                Editing a comment
                My 2.3 had a iigo chip and the head wasn't ported. Only port matched to the throttle bodies which is very minimal. The 2.5 had a custom burned chip with the evo afm and injectors. The metric mechanic engine was there 250hp 2.5 they advertise on the website. So whatever that 250hp build is supposed to come with is what it should of had.

Ah crap, my car has a 2.5 MM Rallye build too but it runs great with over 12k miles. Guess I should do a compression test before running @ COTA in June…

Comment

Working...
            X