Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastricky
    replied
    Thanks Anri for the thorough info, I will be doing something with headers and possibly eliminating the catalytic converter in a month or so.

Leave a comment:

• First E30 M3
    replied
    Originally posted by fastricky View Post

OK understood. Tho' seems like "at the wheels" HP is generally @ 160 from my informal research, so suffice it to say I'm very pleased with @222hp at the wheels. The car definitely feels great. The mid section of the exhaust now rattles against the heat shield so need to sort that, might consider headers at the same time.
    Fastricky,

160 RWHP is at DynoJet numbers. Don't compare DynoJet with the 222hp you have...I was working on a S38 project on a Mustang dyno for some time but in order to ensure the dyno was showing equal numbers to dynojet a mustang dyno technician came down to adjust the settings and then it was dead on with dyno jet within 3-4rwhp. But in most cases the Mustang dyno is all over the place.

I have not tested how restrictive the 2.3 stock exhaust is but I am sure in order to meets emissions the stock exhaust/cat is not so friendly when you start pushing for power.

Long ago I decided to do a test on S38 E34M5 all standard engine stock exhaust system see how far I can get on the power. I put 280/280 cams which I had available on my parts shelf. Due to its std 10CR I was available to move the intake and exhaust cams on stock valve pockets by a lot. Via the EV300 Joe and I started to tune the set up and we landed at 285rwhp stock injectors are 240cc at 3bars were not close to get maxed out. On the same car with std 264/264 I re-time the std 110/110 LSA on the OEM cams and tuned it and I was able to pull 285rwhp.

So the 280/280 cams never made any gain in power even with different LSA I tried.The engine ran on a very low timing and fuel which is sure indication that it was not discharging.

On the same exact set up all stock engine 10CR etc but with hi flow custom exhaust system (not supersprint or any off the shelf) I was able to increase the power up to 295RWHP with the 280/280. My 280CC injectors at 3.5 bar/regulator were maxed out at 6000rpm and the ignition timing was pushed up to 28degrees.Then I pushed for more power with custom profile cams I installed after the 280s. I was able to bump the power up to 315RWHP, the engine needed more fuel and more ignition with larger injectors 370cc at 3.5 bar reg duty cycle is around 74% and timing moved to 31 degrees.

Knowing the CFM on S14 2.3/S38 3.5 head and the chart on the std camshaft profile cams it is very hard to believe that with increased CR ratio, larger valves, head ports you will gain power on the stock exhaust system with its very restrictive size and Catalyst. Due to hi combustion pressure you will be limited to fuel and ignition.

Currently I am working on S38 with the 280/280 cams and 10:5CR the engine made 320rwhp/330rwtq on hub dyno after being tuned. Knowing that the 280cc injectors at 3.5 bars duty cycle is +/-78% I knew this is one large bullshit 320rwhp...

Next day I took the car to the Dyno-Jet I always use and power was 292rwhp with 253rwtq.

Hub dyno to tune, Dyno-Jet to see your real gains over factory stock power numbers.

I have seen a lot of loaded S38s with fancy parts big valves, hi CR, ported head, camshafts, and yet make less power than my stock engine with camshafts and hi flow system.

If I were you I would take your car to a DynoJet and see what power you will put down and start from there.

Regards,
    Anri

Leave a comment:

• fastricky
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
    Unfortunately, Mustang dynos are good tuning tools, but can provide any power/torque readout that the operator wants them to. They are utterly useless for comparing the output of one engine vs another, unless they are both run on the same dyno, same settings, same operator.
    OK understood. Tho' seems like "at the wheels" HP is generally @ 160 from my informal research, so suffice it to say I'm very pleased with @222hp at the wheels. The car definitely feels great. The mid section of the exhaust now rattles against the heat shield so need to sort that, might consider headers at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Ironhead
    replied
    Unfortunately, Mustang dynos are good tuning tools, but can provide any power/torque readout that the operator wants them to. They are utterly useless for comparing the output of one engine vs another, unless they are both run on the same dyno, same settings, same operator.

Leave a comment:

• fastricky
    replied
    Here's the dyno scan, anyone have a stock 2.3 dyno scan to post? I'd love to see the comparison.

Leave a comment:

• AlpineRunner
    replied

From my builder:

"With the proper finishes from machining on the head and block mating surfaces I expect no issues. Separately - and most importantly, we needed to use a custom thickness gasket to compensate for the fact that the blocks deck height and cylinder head have both been cut many times from the various rebuilds. Even the aftermarket second available thickness gasket was not enough for clearances here. I use MLS on all our 6 cylinder builds without one issue yet.

We replaced the MM fancy golf ball modded valves.

You have the standard 4/2 collector / header. Factory new oem middle section / catted, and the Eisenmann sport muffler as you requested.

That is a sound answer from the builder on head gasket. What are the specs on CR and cams?

Beautiful work and pictures. I didn't know Tyspeed could build an S14, very good to know for us Northeast people!
    Last edited by AlpineRunner; 05-03-2022, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fastricky
    replied
    Originally posted by First E30 M3 View Post
    Fastricky,

Why MLS gasket ? Share with us what you or the engine builder did not like in the original gasket ? MLS will cause 2 issues a) leak/s b) thermal issue/s

I can see reduced oiling on the pistons. Jim/MM loves to add as he calls it "turbulence" groves on the valves, you should have replaced them.

What exhaust system and headers do you have ?

Regards,
    Anri.
    From my builder:

"With the proper finishes from machining on the head and block mating surfaces I expect no issues. Separately - and most importantly, we needed to use a custom thickness gasket to compensate for the fact that the blocks deck height and cylinder head have both been cut many times from the various rebuilds. Even the aftermarket second available thickness gasket was not enough for clearances here. I use MLS on all our 6 cylinder builds without one issue yet.

We replaced the MM fancy golf ball modded valves.

You have the standard 4/2 collector / header. Factory new oem middle section / catted, and the Eisenmann sport muffler as you requested.

Leave a comment:

• First E30 M3
    replied
    Fastricky,

Why MLS gasket ? Share with us what you or the engine builder did not like in the original gasket ? MLS will cause 2 issues a) leak/s b) thermal issue/s

I can see reduced oiling on the pistons. Jim/MM loves to add as he calls it "turbulence" groves on the valves, you should have replaced them.

What exhaust system and headers do you have ?

Regards,
    Anri.

Leave a comment:

• fastricky
    commented on 's reply
    Yes replaced the chip for sure, we suspect the reason the engine had to be rebuilt with so few miles on it was the chip was never upgraded to work with a 2.5L build. Lightweight flywheel. No change to clutch.

• CamayroZ
    replied
    From my builder: "The car went to the dyno yesterday with the new injectors + chip tune and ran flawlessly to 8k RPMS making a smidge under 215 Wheel horsepower and 176 Lb / Ft of torque."

I'm picking it up next week and am so stoked!
    Congratulations! Thank you for sharing the pictures. Very exciting.
    Did you replace the ECU or the “chip”? And what did you decide as far as stock flywheel and clutch?

(MM was an ok place 30 years ago. )

Leave a comment:

• Dave @nz
    replied
    Congratulations your M3 is looking really good and will be a lot of fun to drive.

Leave a comment:

• fastricky
    replied
    From my builder: "The car went to the dyno yesterday with the new injectors + chip tune and ran flawlessly to 8k RPMS making a smidge under 215 Wheel horsepower and 176 Lb / Ft of torque."

I'm picking it up next week and am so stoked!

Leave a comment:

• fastricky
    replied
    Exterior pic just for fun

Leave a comment:

• mwagner10702
    replied
    You are going to need a new name - maybe superfastricky, or reallyfastricky, or iamnowbrokebutfastricky

Great job on the build.

Leave a comment:

• fastricky
    replied
    Decided on a 3.74 LSD, also having a new ECU put in and new higher volume injectors. Will be dyno'd soon and I'll post the result. Also redid the interior to match the EVO direction the rest of the car has

Leave a comment:

Working...
X