Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trim Paint Diamond Black or Black Gloss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Paint Diamond Black or Black Gloss?

I have to paint the car later this year. I'm going to keep it the original Diamond Black. The plastic trim parts have been a flat black. I was debating about painting the trim diamond black or black gloss. Black gloss trim on Alpine White and Henna Red sets off the profile. Not sure if it does much on diamond black. Any thoughts?

What plastic parts are you referring to? The metal trim around the door frames and windows is satin black. The only plastic I know of is the front grills, and they are not painted.
    Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
    • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
    • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
    • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
    • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
    • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
    • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
    • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
    • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
    • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Sorry they are metal, not plastic, trim around door and windows. Not sure what it would look like to change from satin.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM1450 View Post
        Not sure what it would look like to change from satin.
        I don't thing schwartz or anything gloss on the trim would look good. The original matte paint looks great and it blends well with the rubber gaskets. If it were another color or high gloss then the contrast to the rubber seals would stand out too much.

Comment

I saw an Alpine White car with them painted white and it def did not float my boat. The car also had white wheels. Not for me! Hard to say what piano black would look like though. You could always try it and if you don't like it, redo them in satin? SEM makes an excellent satin trim paint in an aerosol. They may also have piano black too. A word caution if the body shop is going to remove the trim pieces and paint them off the car. It's not easy to remove several of the pieces without damaging them, especially the rain gutter trim. They come off and go back on OK until you get to the bend where they bind and generally stop cooperating. It's very easy to damage them at that point. It can take lots of patience and perseverance to get them off and back on w/o damaging them. Last I knew, at least one side (right?) was no longer available new from BMW. So, tread lightly! The window and door trim is also tricky and easy to damage. I believe most of those pieces are no longer available new from BMW either. Many claim that standard E30 'bright' trim can be painted black and used instead of the factory original black ones. I've seen many that took this approach and several years down the road, the black paint starts to chip or wear off and it looks 10x worse than faded flat black. Do yourself a favor before you make up your mind. Try cleaning the trim with a polish, wax it and see how it looks. There's likely a lot of dead, dry paint that needs to be removed. You might think it's not that far off from gloss black.
          Ron ///Man

• '94 Spec E36 - Eh....

Comment

That's good advice Ron. Is there a special tool for crimping the rain gutters? I've never gotten one to tighten up without scratching it and imagine that would be a tough job if dealing with a freshly gloss painted piece. At least with satin you can carefully mask and touch up since the satin paint is pretty forgiving with blending.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
              ... Is there a special tool for crimping the rain gutters?...
              No. They aren't crimped. There are tiny metal clips that sit in the center of the rain gutter trim that grip the metal flange on the car. Ever see a car with the leading edge of the rain gutter loose or flapping in the breeze or worse yet taped down? They are missing those clips! Most of the time the clips wind up on the floor of the body shop and get swept into the garbage. Not knowing they were there in the first place, The trim gets reinstalled without them.
              Ron ///Man

• '94 Spec E36 - Eh....

Comment

I don't plan to remove any of the gutter, window, or door trim, because a lot of posts reported major problems removing, installing, and parts NLA. That is why I was thinking of painting all the trim diamond. Maybe to keep the original look would be to paint gutter trim diamond and the door and window trim satin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron ///Man View Post

No. They aren't crimped. There are tiny metal clips that sit in the center of the rain gutter trim that grip the metal flange on the car. Ever see a car with the leading edge of the rain gutter loose or flapping in the breeze or worse yet taped down? They are missing those clips! Most of the time the clips wind up on the floor of the body shop and get swept into the garbage. Not knowing they were there in the first place, The trim gets reinstalled without them.
                  Are you sure? I thought the clips went on the leading edge (no way to crimp there) but the section along the roof was crimped.
                  This is what the cripms look like on my track car, and as far as I know they've never been removed. I see the same cripms on my street car as well.

Comment

I just went through the process of removing my trim and repainting it. It was a total pain in the ass but worth it and I didn't damage the trim removing or reinstalling it. The A pillar portion has some metal clips as Ron mentioned. The portion along the roof is crimped in places to hold the trim tight. I sanded the trim with 400 grit and painted it with SEM satin trim paint. SEM is pretty amazing stuff. To re install the trim I used a rubber mallet as it was the only way to get the trim to seat back on the roof rail lip. I thought for sure the paint would get messed up using the mallet but it did not! SEM for the win and it looks identical to the stock original trim paint color.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM1450 View Post
                      I don't plan to remove any of the gutter, window, or door trim, because a lot of posts reported major problems removing, installing, and parts NLA. That is why I was thinking of painting all the trim diamond. Maybe to keep the original look would be to paint gutter trim diamond and the door and window trim satin.
                      When you get the car painted, I'd just tape it up if you're not planning to remove the trim. And then repaint it with SEM/ Trim Paint later. If you got he route of painting the same color as the car, it (in my opinion) looks like the body shop was lazy and just painted it on the car (Macco). It'll make me question the quality of the paint job (if you decide to ever sell).

Obviously, it's your car, and you should do what you want.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
                      1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                      1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                      1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post

Are you sure? I thought the clips went on the leading edge (no way to crimp there) but the section along the roof was crimped.
                        This is what the cripms look like on my track car, and as far as I know they've never been removed. I see the same cripms on my street car as well.

Same as my 89 and I know they had never been removed. Each side has 2-3 crimp points along the raingutter before the clips take hold of the "A "Pillar

Comment

Made a decision to stay with the original trim color. I removed the windows and all the trim, including the door handles, but not the trim on the roof gutter. Again, did not want to risk damaging a part that is difficult to remove, install, and maybe NLA. No big problems removing the other trim, except 2 of the 4 8mm nuts fell down the B-Pillar. You are going to destroy most of the clip, so be prepared to order replacements. I am also going to replace the door rubber gasket and window weather strips. I masked the windows and sanded all the parts using 400 grit and cleaned with alcohol and let dry. I selected SEM Trim Paint #39143. Applied 2 coats bout 10 minutes apart. Just a little touch up on the window glass, from masking glue. I am very pleased with the results. Parts are stored until I have the car painted. I would like to thank everyone who offered advice, opinion, and experience. It gave me the confidence I needed to do this job the right way and successfully. Thanks Again!

Comment

How would this tool work for removing the roof gutter trim?
                            http://www.kooglewerks.com/kooglewer...tallation-tool

There is a good video in the link, I am not sure if the trim is the same profile/shape as our cars.

E30 M3 1987
                            Mini Clubman GT
                            BMW E36 323 Msport
                            Toyota Corona
                            KTM 200EXC
                            Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Great find. It looks like it would fit, although It seems like it's for alignment and not for making crimps.

Comment

Working...
                              X