Rear Pillar cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Pillar cover

Received new rear pillar piece (pretty large, anthracite, vertical trim piece that rises from parcel tray to roof)... my original one had started to peel on the top edge from sun.

Ok, so the question is.... how much of the back do I need to remove to get this part replaced?

I think a poster here did this job recently. Do I need to pull back seat + parcel tray? Hoping not but checking...
    Petro

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread....I need to do the same job. If you get the opportunity to take pics and document...that'd be great!

Comment

hi there i got both rear pillars and bmw said it is easier to do if you take out the parcel shelf ,not done it yet as car away being fixed so let me know how easy it is

thanks alex

Comment

Ok just found this thread that may turn out to help...

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...=remove+parcel

Going to first try to just lift up seat belt covers and tray, if plan A is no go then may try to pull out seat then tray...

Will keep you posted. Out to the car I go....
        Petro

Comment

So here is the report..

Wasnt too concerned with being nice to the existing part so I tried just pulling the rear edge of it. The rear edge popped out and I could pull it out if the front edge were not pinned in.

Looks like the rubber seal/molding that runs around the rear window pins in the trim piece.

Tugged on this "seal" a little and it looks a little "intimidating".

Hope someone here knows more about this as I am not too confident to move forward at this point...
          Petro

Comment

Originally posted by petro
            So here is the report..

Wasnt too concerned with being nice to the existing part so I tried just pulling the rear edge of it. The rear edge popped out and I could pull it out if the front edge were not pinned in.

Looks like the rubber seal/molding that runs around the rear window pins in the trim piece.

Tugged on this "seal" a little and it looks a little "intimidating".

Hope someone here knows more about this as I am not too confident to move forward at this point...
            Petro,
            Interesting. I hate when I get that "intimidated" feeling b/c that almost ALWAYS means that I am getting ready to go ahead and break something. Step back......deep breath and say to yourself, "I'm fucked.....oh yeah...totally fucked." j/k Where there is a will...there is a way. Keep us posted. BTW....I am going into the garage tomorrow morning with good intentions on getting you a bunch of acron nuts.

Comment

take out the bottom cusion of the rear seat.

take out the rear seat back.

pull out the parcel shelf.

replace your C pillar panel.

I was back there last week working on the speakers and all of this disassembly took less than 5 minutes, and I had never done it before.
              -Eric

Comment

ok got this taken care of...

Pulled the rear seat to get better access though i think it could be done without this. Easier to pull the seat.

1. Lift up on front edge of bottom seat to clear 2 "plugs" in front. Then lift out.

2. There are 2 10mm bolts that hold the rear seat piece in. They are on each side wall behind a vinyl flap. Note which hole the bolt is removed from because I have 2 holes and I am not sure which it is supposed to be in.

3. Pull up on the front edge of the seat belt covers on top of the parcel tray. Be careful. I used a flat blade screw driver and sort of wiggled the front edge up. Pull these out at an angle because there are clips on the back side. Slide them down the seatbelt to get them out of the way.

4. Pull up on the front edge of the parcel tray. Your speaker wires need to be unplugged if you can access them from front or rear.

5. At this point I took a shortcut and slid my parcel tray down the belts so it was sitting where my back seat usually is. I think you can un bolt the bottom of teh seat belts and get the parcel tray completely out of the way which would be better.

6. Unplug the rear defrost wire at bottom rear of parcel tray and move it out of the way. Pull out old trim piece by grabbing it from the rear edge. The front edge will be tucked under the rear side window seal. You can pry up the seal edge with your fingers to help release the trim piece edge or just pull gently but firmly. Be careful around the top edge as it is where the headliner comes into play.

7. Get your new trim piece and put 2 clips on it from the old piece. Sort of snap it into place. You will notice you have about an inch of material sticking out the front edge. Roll it over on itself and shove it under the rear seal. It is harder than it sounds but do a little at a time. There must be a special tool for this. The trim is in 3 sections. The bottom 2 were easy. The top large section took a while. I ended up working down from the top. Peeling back the window seal with my fingers and using a plastic "spatila like" tool to shove the trim piece overlap under the seal. If you have 2 peoples hands in there (one to hold seal) it might be pretty easy.

If any of you do this in the near future can you let me know which hole the rear seat is supposed to bolt onto? One is higher than the other. I think I picked the wrong one.
                Petro

Comment

Working...
                X