S14 Operating Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 Operating Issues

Following a few years of non use because of life and the in tank pump (Walbro) having connectivity issues, a tech friend re-worked the wiring and plumbing for the Walbro.

Engine started, but ran poorly, like it was on 2 or 3 cylinders so we had RC Fuel Injection Services clean the injectors.

Injectors installed, the car started, but ran poorly. We stepped away.

Car sat for a month in my garage.

Today, a bud and I installed NOS carpet (five hours) and were excited, so 'lets take her out'!

Car cranked over, but had no interest in starting. Multiple attempts finally got her running.

We chugged along a short block and hoped that pushing it back was not in the cards, but babied it back with little throttle input.
    • Car runs rough and varies from barely able to remain running to revving with little enthusiasm.
    • Idles rough, applying throttle with no load causes the engine to 'almost stall' and generally has little power (see previous line)
    • CHECK light is on.
    • Tachometer works for a few seconds at start then zero's out almost immediately.

Input/questions are appreciated.
    "The earth provides enough for everyone's need. Not everyone's greed." Gandhi

Hi,
    First up replace the spark plugs and report the outcome, I suspect they are fowled and glazed up. Not sure about the Tachometer.

E30 M3 1987
    Mini Clubman GT
    BMW E36 323 Msport
    Toyota Corona
    KTM 200EXC
    Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

what is the condition of the fuel in the tank?
      Autobahn Motorsport - Restoration and Service - Portland, Oregon
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3 M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
        what is the condition of the fuel in the tank?
        Fresh after the fuel pump work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave @nz View Post
          Hi,
          First up replace the spark plugs and report the outcome, I suspect they are fowled and glazed up. Not sure about the Tachometer.
          The issue is erratic, I'd imagine bad plugs would be perform poorly, consistently. No?

Plugs have less than 4k miles.

Comment

But it sat for years with old fuel in the lines/injectors? Need to have them refurbished or pick up a set that are.

T

Comment

Are you sure its running on all 4 cylinders?

FWIW, I purchased a set of injectors from another member on here, and had them shipped directly to RC to have them cleaned and tested. No real reason to, but since I was redoing the whole fuel system, figured it to be a "might as well" thing.

I popped them in after receiving them and the car ran worse. 1 of the injectors wasn't even firing. I threw the old ones on and haven't messed with it since.

Comment

The check light shouldn't matter but if you want to know what it is look at the overhead check panel.

What's the condition of the battery? A failed battery can cause issues and *might also be related to the tach not functioning correctly.

Comment

Solid spark on all 4?
                  Each injector getting pulse width?

Comment

Were the injectors just cleaned or fully tested as well?

Check for spark on each plug, might be your ECU (especially if you jumped it recently...they get fried easily). Check your grounds.

Comment

How are the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator? I had a faulty fuel pressure regulator when I first acquired my car and it caused a hard start and poor running issues, which eventually led to no start.
                      Everything's plugged in correctly after assembly?
                      AFM ok?

Good luck!

Comment

It sure sounds to me like a fuel problem. If you didnt just have the injectors cleaned I'd immediately point right to sticky injectors as the first thing to look at.
                        I would tap all the injectors while cranking or running with a screwdriver or something, look at the FPR, the fuel lines, fuel pump(s), the fuel injector harness.
                        My gut says there is something going on in your fuel delivery. At least if it were me, thats where I would start my investigation.
                        jimmy p.
                        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by bladsville View Post
                          Are you sure its running on all 4 cylinders?

FWIW, I purchased a set of injectors from another member on here, and had them shipped directly to RC to have them cleaned and tested. No real reason to, but since I was redoing the whole fuel system, figured it to be a "might as well" thing.

I popped them in after receiving them and the car ran worse. 1 of the injectors wasn't even firing. I threw the old ones on and haven't messed with it since.
                          I hesitate to trash a company, but years ago I sent a set of injectors to RC for cleaning and balancing. When I got them back, car ran horribly. After some frustrating troubleshooting (because I assumed injectors were all good) I finally learned one of the allegedly freshly overhauled injectors wasn't even firing....just continually dribbling fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
                            It sure sounds to me like a fuel problem. If you didnt just have the injectors cleaned I'd immediately point right to sticky injectors as the first thing to look at.
                            I would tap all the injectors while cranking or running with a screwdriver or something, look at the FPR, the fuel lines, fuel pump(s), the fuel injector harness.
                            My gut says there is something going on in your fuel delivery. At least if it were me, thats where I would start my investigation.
                            Also, if the gas was bad...it could have damaged the fuel system even though new gas was put in.

My tank had a bunch of crap in the bottom of it that trashed a brand new pump. Had to get a new tank/pump/etc...

Comment

Thanks all, there's a lot to examine and I have work/life to deal with as well. Does the tach issue point to anything to do with how the engine runs? Where does the tach get it's signal?

Comment

Working...
                              X