Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing car too often?

Hi,

How often do you guys wash your cars? I know some cars are prone to rusting areas if they are washed too often (water gets trapped in seals, etc).
    Any ideas of the e30 M3? I wash it maybe every month or so? Any areas prone to rust from washing the car too often???

well , make sure your drains are clean specially sunroof ones.
    if your car is stored inside a garage wash and once dry use a indoor cover to keep dust off , wax or ceramic coating helps too.

once a month is more than fine I think .. or if washing the car makes you happy wash the darn paint off who cares .

I see yours is Henna? fellow brother

now if you keep it outside , deff get a car cover i say the sun is worse than water , eats up cars and the interior most of all

Comment

I wash mine before a trip to the shop, cars and coffee or other such nonsense. I have a couple of California Car Dusters to keep the dust off in-between washings.

I don't have a fixed schedule (i.e. once a week / month / year). Just when it needs it.

Post wash, I use a leaf blower to get a majority of the water out, plus it helps move the water out of the cracks and cervices. Finish drying with a couple of Costco yellow micro-fiber towels and then an all-over spritz of CSI Q-7 wax spray (great stuff!)

Boom, done.
      1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

Originally posted by francogt1 View Post
        well , make sure your drains are clean specially sunroof ones.
        if your car is stored inside a garage wash and once dry use a indoor cover to keep dust off , wax or ceramic coating helps too.

once a month is more than fine I think .. or if washing the car makes you happy wash the darn paint off who cares .

I see yours is Henna? fellow brother

now if you keep it outside , deff get a car cover i say the sun is worse than water , eats up cars and the interior most of all
        Yes, its a henna... waited 12 years to buy a nice one... in the color I waned (henna with black), to park next to my 99 Hellrot with modena interior.

I'm always weary of washing older cars too much because water puddles up in window seals and other parts, and causes rust to form.

Comment

Think I washed mine last year. Or was it the year before? Don't remember....

Henna FTW
          88 M3 Henna
          95 M3 Orange
          97 M3 Techno

Comment

Originally posted by Hellrot View Post

I'm always weary of washing older cars too much because water puddles up in window seals and other parts, and causes rust to form.
            Drying off with a leaf blower really helps with that.

Comment

Im in the camp of I wash it when it needs it, and I'm not even talking about getting out the whole bucket of suds and sponge thing.
              Most times its just a blast off the front end of bugs and go drive it.
              I frequently wash my Cabrio with the top down, just hose off the bugs on the front end and the dirt below the belt line.
              jimmy p.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

There is no washing too much really (within reason), as long as it's properly coated/maintained and dried. You should have a layer of something (preferably a ceramic coating or similar these days) that's protecting the paint/clear. Unless your drains are clogged or youre not drying it, theres no reason water should hurt it.

Comment

When do I wash? Whenever I want to touch my babes curves and usually in the late evenings with a beer and some good music.

I could simply spray detail clean them as they are all ceramic coated or PPF'd and usually never that dirty.

Some wash theories for me.

More suds the better.

Wheels first, then rinse then wash car. Super slippery soap always cermaic coated safe.

The key to a good wash comes at the end:

FORCED AIR drying to 80-90% dry on body panels. 100% dry in the crevices and body gaps etc...

Open the hood and trunk and doors and continue forced air drying those. Check the jack tool storage compartment and see what's doing there. Check under the battery cover and see what's doing there.

Then I go over it with a Korean loop drying towel and a ceramic top coat of some sort.

I used to use WARM FORCED AIR but then found it dries the car too quickly and doesn't leave enough moisture for my drying towel / top coat. So now I just use a Milwaukee leaf blower. I have about 8 batteries for various tools and I can't live without all my tools. Lawn Mower, Weed Whacker, blower, 1/2" impact, you know the man tools.

When she is done I usually take her inside the warehouse and look at the paint under the reveal everything lights and make sure no streaks, missed spots, etc...

Finish by cleaning the windows and any spots missed.

Admire your work briefly, clean up and rest easy knowing your collection you've worked hard to buy and maintain is just what the doctored ordered for sanity.

E30M3 is a Legend

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
                    Im in the camp of I wash it when it needs it, and I'm not even talking about getting out the whole bucket of suds and sponge thing.
                    Most times its just a blast off the front end of bugs and go drive it.
                    I frequently wash my Cabrio with the top down, just hose off the bugs on the front end and the dirt below the belt line.
                    i also wash every cabriolet i've ever owned, with the top down, usually. seems like an unnecessary movement of the top/creasing of the rear window.
                    Autobahn Motorsport - Restoration and Service - Portland, Oregon
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3 M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post

i also wash every cabriolet i've ever owned, with the top down, usually. seems like an unnecessary movement of the top/creasing of the rear window.
                      I feel like I'm in good company then LOL
                      jimmy p.
                      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

I feel like I'm in good company then LOL
                        likewise!!
                        Autobahn Motorsport - Restoration and Service - Portland, Oregon
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3 M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I switched to these fancy ceramic coatings in 2003, and ever since, I don’t have to wash my cars as often. I probably wash my M3 once per year, including rinsing off under the hood. I do have type-5 17" wheels on her with polished lips, so I get after the lips every quarter. And washing it is always a treat as I do love my M3.

Comment

On the 88, make sure to open the rear windows and dry off the typical rub/rust spot every time it gets wet.

Comment

I'm having my e36 hellrot cermic coated next week... depending how I like it the e30 is next

Comment

Working...
                              X