No announcement yet.

Washing car too often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

washing your car always presents the opportunity to introduce swirl marks. I make sure to spray liberally, use extra soap content, very light hands with the sponge. Also use the two bucket system wring out the sponge before reentering the soap bucket each time.

I always take the car for a 5 minute drive at some speed after, helps drain things out of the nooks and crannies.

my belief is that if you are careful regarding scratch (swirl) avoidance, you can wash away.

black cars are going to show swirls much more easily, therefore ceramic or perpetual waxing is a must to minimize putting swirls into the paint.

Comment

I watched some video on Jay Leno's channel, and remember he mentioned that he tries to never wash the cars in his collection. After driving them, he said he just wipes them down with detailing cleaner and a soft cloth. He mentioned problems with rust being more likely on cars that are washed...

It seems to me like that is going a bit far. I can't imagine washing being a problem on a modern car as delivered from the factory. But on a restored older car, if the metal prep, seam sealing, etc is not carefully done maybe it would be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin///m3 View Post
        washing your car always presents the opportunity to introduce swirl marks. I make sure to spray liberally, use extra soap content, very light hands with the sponge. Also use the two bucket system wring out the sponge before reentering the soap bucket each time.

I always take the car for a 5 minute drive at some speed after, helps drain things out of the nooks and crannies.

my belief is that if you are careful regarding scratch (swirl) avoidance, you can wash away.

black cars are going to show swirls much more easily, therefore ceramic or perpetual waxing is a must to minimize putting swirls into the paint.
        yep, ceramic coating, with another sacrificial layer on top of that helps avoid them as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
          I watched some video on Jay Leno's channel, and remember he mentioned that he tries to never wash the cars in his collection. After driving them, he said he just wipes them down with detailing cleaner and a soft cloth. He mentioned problems with rust being more likely on cars that are washed...

It seems to me like that is going a bit far. I can't imagine washing being a problem on a modern car as delivered from the factory. But on a restored older car, if the metal prep, seam sealing, etc is not carefully done maybe it would be an issue.
          makes sense for a lot of his collection. Full washes aren't needed all the time.

As long as you're doing the spray/cloth correctly (with the right materials/chemicals) and not scratching the shit out of the paint, I'd agree with that.

Comment

Is the ceramic coating holding up for those with single stage paint?

I've used meguiars 7 with great results only for the paint to oxidize again. I'd like to try ceramic coat before doing a full repaint.

After I wash a car, I let it sit out in the sun for a couple hours before it goes back into the garage. Don't garage them right after a wash!
            E30 M3 Zinno
            E36 M3 Techno
            E46 M3 Laguna
            E92 M3 Alpine

Comment

Originally posted by s2kallan View Post
              Is the ceramic coating holding up for those with single stage paint?

I've used meguiars 7 with great results only for the paint to oxidize again. I'd like to try ceramic coat before doing a full repaint.

After I wash a car, I let it sit out in the sun for a couple hours before it goes back into the garage. Don't garage them right after a wash!
              oxidize? how long are you going between washes and using some sort of coating? is the car sitting outside?

you should be able to bring a single stage back to life pretty easy as long as there is enough paint left

Comment

Working...
              X