Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borrowing stock exhaust assembly to pass CA Smog

Hello!

Does anyone have a factory exhaust assembly that I can borrow to get my car through smog? I'm located in the bay area. I have the VSR dual catalytic converter exhaust and I don't think it will pass visual inspection.

Maybe it’ll pass visual? My VSR with cats passed NJ emissions every time until 2017. And that was with two burnt exhaust valves.
    There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Cali is different. It won't pass visual. I had an M3 with the VSR back in 2006 and it passed CA smog with flying colors because they only required the emissions test. The laws changed around a decade ago. The cats need to be the factory ones and pass a visual check.
      Terrance

Comment

Originally posted by ///M3 Terr View Post
        Cali is different. It won't pass visual. I had an M3 with the VSR back in 2006 and it passed CA smog with flying colors because they only required the emissions test. The laws changed around a decade ago. The cats need to be the factory ones and pass a visual check.
        This is true.

The only cats that pass visual are OEM cats, and last I checked they are NLA. They were also $2500 when they were available.

There are specific Magnaflow cats that are CARB approved for the E30M3, but in standard bureaucratic fashion it is impossible to use them. The CARB approval for these cats is dependent upon using four of them, and that is literally, physically impossible to do. They are too large to fit four of them.

Your only hope is finding a smog tester who is lazy or slightly flexible. And, most of them lost their licenses a few years back.

California plain and simple wants older cars off the road. They are not interested in working with us on these issues.

Comment

I know where a pile of stock E30 M3 cats/exhausts are if you want to contact him to see if he will sell one to you. Shipping will suck since they are in Tampa Fl

T

Comment

Where in the bay are you? I have a stock setup on my car. I'm up in Napa. My car passed smog back in Dec of last year.

Will
            '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
            '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
              Where in the bay are you? I have a stock setup on my car. I'm up in Napa. My car passed smog back in Dec of last year.

Will
              im in Palo Alto, more than willing to go up north to Napa!

Comment

FYI. I have Stromung for years. And they all pass the Kali smog with flying colors every other year.
                Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
                '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
                '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
                '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
                '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
                '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
                '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by Das Boots View Post
                  FYI. I have Stromung for years. And they all pass the Kali smog with flying colors every other year.
                  i didn't know Stromung made a center section with cats. The muffler is irrelevant, the center section with the cats are what is important. That is what is checked at a smog.

I run a Stromung muffler as well. Its a well made piece.

Will
                  '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
                  '88 M3

Comment

So, here's the thing: Magnaflow cats have absolutely zero durability. So building a drivable center section with Magnaflow cats isn't really necessary or even desirable. You'd have to re-do every test. The question is can you angle those bastards any way that is necessary to cram them in there for one day every for the emissions test? This way, just halfass together an ugly system without worrying about much beyond "can I get to the inspection station and back?"
                    2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß
                    Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
                    Hers: 1989 325iX Zinnoberrot

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                      So, here's the thing: Magnaflow cats have absolutely zero durability. So building a drivable center section with Magnaflow cats isn't really necessary or even desirable. You'd have to re-do every test. The question is can you angle those bastards any way that is necessary to cram them in there for one day every for the emissions test? This way, just halfass together an ugly system without worrying about much beyond "can I get to the inspection station and back?"
                      I made a system several years ago using the approved (4) Magnaflow cats. Each cat has the center element and sort of a funnel on the ends where it necks down to the tube. The only way they would fit was to cut the rear funnel off of two, the front funnel off of two, and weld them together. What you sort of wind up with is two cats with four elements, basically.

The problem with this is that cutting the cat body in any way shape or form is an immediate failure. The first time I used it, they didn't catch it and I passed with pretty much zero emissions.. Second time they noticed the cut/welded cats and failed me immediately without even doing the sniffer.

But if you keep the cats intact, with the front and rear funnel sections in place on each of the four, they are much too long to fit. There just isn't room. It would be possible to cut/weld the cats like I did and then grind the welds down to be invisible. Problem then is it would appear you only have two cats.

What is so infuriating, in typical bureaucratic fashion, it's irrelevant how clean the exhaust is. If it doesn't follow the proper protocol of the state, they fail you instantly.

I get so exhausted trying to get this car through smog every two years, it has brought me nearly to the point of selling several times.
                      Last edited by Ironhead; 09-21-2022, 04:16 PM.

Comment

The thing is, though, that I think you were trying to make a usable exhaust. What i’m saying is do something horrible. Zigzag it. Let it go out of the tunnel and hang down. 180 degree bends. Etcetera. The only goal is to get it usable enough for one drive every two years.
                        2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
                        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß
                        Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
                        Hers: 1989 325iX Zinnoberrot

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                          The thing is, though, that I think you were trying to make a usable exhaust. What i’m saying is do something horrible. Zigzag it. Let it go out of the tunnel and hang down. 180 degree bends. Etcetera. The only goal is to get it usable enough for one drive every two years.
                          You are correct. I have a terrible time bringing myself to half-ass things.

I would be concerned though that a complete POS "ZigZag" exhaust might draw attention from the smog checker in a different way. They have a lot of discretion in terms of what they pass and what they don't. If they don't like what they see, likely they will just say "take it somewhere else".

Comment

Gents,

Not sure if I am on the same page but what is the issue of using this or similar? MagnaFlow California Grade CARB Compliant Universal Catalytic Converte

Magna says its legal in CA ? or perhaps is not updated due to recent CA law change ?

My old E30M3 S38 swap was Carbed with the required cats to meet the CA emission standard.
                            E30M3
                            E28M5
                            E24M6
                            E24M6
                            E24M6
                            E24M6
                            E31840Ci/S62.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyh...=dd&shelf_id=0

Comment

As I understand it, the "Universal" cat is only legal on the specific vehicles it lists, and the E30M3 is not on the list (nor is any BMW).

Part of the problem is that so many smog test facilities lost their licenses (and livelihood) over the past several years, the ones that remain are very nit-picky and gun-shy. When in doubt, they simply fail the vehicle. That has definitely been my experience in my region. Again, whether the car runs clean or not is moot. It's the visual that's the challenge. Making your car run squeaky clean is easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X