Shifter boot/knob comes off while shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter boot/knob comes off while shifting

I have an original '89 m3 with all stock interior including the shifter boot/knob. Problem i have been having is if I pull slightly up on the knob while shifting, the whole shifter knob/boot trim comes up and sometimes completely off. Not so great when your trying to shift between gears. Is there some sort of internal clip that holds the gear shifter trim to the metal rod? Anyone have this issue ever?

The stock knob is just a friction fit on the shift lever. You can try pushing the knob on harder onto the lever or wrap a single layer of tape on the lever.
    1988 M3
    2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Thanks, Ill try the tape and see what happens. I wasnt sure if i was missing a clip.

Comment

Typical problem. Just add tape or something inside the notch and/or around the lever to get a tighter fit. It'll never be perfect.

Comment

Many times when this happens the metal bridge inside the knob has broken free and will no longer engage in the shifter upright. The fix, replace the knob...
          Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
          • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
          • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
          • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
          • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
          • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
          • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
          • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
          • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
          • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Ron ///Man View Post
            Many times when this happens the metal bridge inside the knob has broken free and will no longer engage in the shifter upright. The fix, replace the knob...
            Thanks, Mine is stock/original so its all one piece.

Comment

The one piece knob / boot is still available. P/N 25112225873.

I've had mine off and I remember it "clicks" on when it is fully pushed down onto the shift lever. There is also a small screw on top of the knob that you tighten to help secure it.

Perhaps yours is in need of replacement.
              1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

I used a small amount of silicon RTV on the shaft. Let it cure and the knob won't come off, but you can pry it off when you need to remove it. Just don't use a lot of RTV which will not let go without damage to the knob when you pry it off.
                Larry

Comment

Thanks everyone...great tips, appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X