1991 E30 M3 help with market value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 E30 M3 help with market value

There are a lot of people out there with a lot of hours with E30 M3s, and I need your help.

With a great amount of sadness I have reached the point where I must accept that I will not be able to restore my 1991 E30 M3, and I am now trying to figure out the market value.

I found it with a little over 63k miles sitting in a dealership lot in 1997, and it became my daily driver. I put over 100,000 miles on it up here in Massachusetts. In Nov 2005 at 134,757 miles I invested over $8,800 to have the engine rebuilt. The years took their toll on the body, and in 2010 I put it under a cover in my garage.
    The engine was serviced last December and is running strong.
    The interior is in good shape.
    VIN: WBSAK0319MAE34254
    165,182 Miles
    ALPINWEISS 2
    Silver Leather Interior

Racing Dynamics Strut Brace
    Suspension Techniques 22mm Front and 19mm Adj. Rear Sway
    Rear Sway bar mount has failed on right side.
    Borla Exhaust
    TMS Short Shift Kit
    TMS Performance Chip
    TMS H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    15x7 BMW E20 Wheels – Style 10
    Bridgestone Potenza S03 225/50ZR15

But here is the bad part, the body:
    There are a few minor dents / scrapes.
    There is rust in various places: the sunroof panel, right rear quarter panel and rocker panel, bottom of left door, bottom rear corner of the door frames on left and right side, area of the left and right lower corner of the windshield, around rear license plate lights.​

Link to pics? Too bad about the rust. Sounds like a $25,000-$30k car to me.

E30M3 is a Legend

Comment

search BaT for e30's m3's. they have a chart with the price of every m3 they have sold and links to the auctions so you can see the condition of the car. that is just one easy source for basic values.
    88 M3 Henna
    95 M3 Orange
    97 M3 Techno

Comment

• m3powe
      m3powe commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mlytle! I have downloaded all the info from the E30 M3 chart on BAT and am analyzing. I have also looked at similar information from Hagerty.

Luckily for you, the bottom end of complete e30 m3's is about 40k nowadays.

Do I think it's worth that...probably not. But crappy rollers are going for 25 and engines are going for 12-15.

The rust and repaint is probably a 20k+ endeavor.

Comment

I would say at least $40K, there's no such thing as $30K running E30M3, for $30K you can't even find a good roller.

Comment

Hi M3powe,
        Wow, the market has really changed. When I was interested in M3's a long time ago they were both reasonable and around. I found a Henna in Sacramento that had a blown engine which I bought for $1000. I then bought a new block at the dealer for a little over $2000, a new crank for about $500 and built a running engine. I turned the blown block in as a core for $500. The rest of the parts came to about another $1000, so for a total of $3500 I had a Henna runner. The drivers' seat was in bad shape so I had it reupholstered for an additional $700. It wasn't a 'collector' car but I made it a DD for 20 years.

At that time no one would consider a car with rust at any price since the rust never goes away. So much for what used to be. Talk about 'inflation'.
        Larry

Comment

I've seen rusty non runners that are at least complete go for 40 or more. The motor, seats and suspension assemblies are worth 20k at a minimum. If you considered the rest of the parts worth essentially nothing you'd come up above 25k number mentioned here. Someone will fix it. Best result is going to be an honest assessment and hope BAT takes it as some sort of exciting project as the cheapest solid runner on the market. Worst case scenario, find some youtuber
          "I jUsT bOughT the RustIEst E30 m3 In ThE cOUntrY, SMasH ThaT LiKe ButTon"

Comment

• m3powe
            m3powe commented
            Editing a comment
            Where have you see non-runners for sale?

Here is a link to pictureshttps://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link
          I very much appreciate the great posts to my valuation question. All are really helpful.

I was going to put my M up for auction on BAT or Cars and Bids but both sites will only allow me to place it on their site as a No Reserve auction and I have my concerns with that.

Comment

Originally posted by m3powe View Post
            Here is a link to pictureshttps://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link
            I very much appreciate the great posts to my valuation question. All are really helpful.

I was going to put my M up for auction on BAT or Cars and Bids but both sites will only allow me to place it on their site as a No Reserve auction and I have my concerns with that.
            Shame about the rust, seems solid otherwise, but that's potentially VERY bad rust problem. Surface rust is no bug deal, but some of that looks bad and we havent seen the underside yet.

Assuming the best case, lets say the car needs 30k worth of metal work and repaint to be safe/fair.

If that was done and everything else is very solid, what's it worth to you? 60k? 70k? 80? Subtract 30 from there and price it accordingly.

If I had to guess 30k is probably fair but you will likely get 40.

Comment

A lot more owners have rust than they would like to believe, as is often shown every time someone goes to address some cowl rust and ends up doing a full respray lol. The good thing about that 30k spent on the body, is you know it will actually be a rust free car if the right shop does it, where the 60k e30 m3 that’s bought “rust free” may end up going through a similar (obviously not as intensive, but the disassembly remains the same) process.

Comment

Originally posted by Westopher View Post
                A lot more owners have rust than they would like to believe, as is often shown every time someone goes to address some cowl rust and ends up doing a full respray lol. The good thing about that 30k spent on the body, is you know it will actually be a rust free car if the right shop does it, where the 60k e30 m3 that’s bought “rust free” may end up going through a similar (obviously not as intensive, but the disassembly remains the same) process.
                Yup. I'd bet theres a ton of "rust free" cars out there that have plenty of hidden issues, that just aren't visible issues yet.

I wouldn't be scared of a car that went through a rust resto and repaint (not biased bc mine is doing that right now lol)

Comment

E30/M3 garners a lot of love with / without the rust. I do not think that you should fear BAT and list it as a project and possibly w/No Reserve.

There is goodness in your car, the engine rebuild as well as the interior is OK. Personally, I appreciate it seeing the car like this and knowing what I am getting into. But that is a lot of rust and hopefully someone will buy it and repair it properly, versus a rush job by a flipper.

If you bought this car in 1997 with 70K miles, I will be surprised if you paid more than $15K for it.

I am guessing that you will get more than $20K for it in today's dollars and no matter how you slice it should come out OK net-net.

Comment

heck, that e30m3 that was completely flooded under salt water in FLA from hurricane IAN just sold on copart for almost $40k
                    88 M3 Henna
                    95 M3 Orange
                    97 M3 Techno

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
                      heck, that e30m3 that was completely flooded under salt water in FLA from hurricane IAN just sold on copart for almost $40k
                      There are the prices that idiots will pay which has become the new "market".

No one here is going to pay "market" because we all know it's stupid and not realistic, and is often driven by FOMO and people battling with each other. That doesnt happen in private sales.

So, yes the car can sell for 30-40k in the open market. But no one is going to buy a car needing 30k of work for 30-40k when they can buy a decent one for 60-70 already.

It needs to go to auction if you want "market".

Comment

Working...
                      X