No announcement yet.

Just installed E36 M3 Steering Rack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just installed E36 M3 Steering Rack...

Hey guys-
    Well, I just finished the task of installing my E36 M3 3.0 steering rack. I put the rack in with the stock steering linkages in there and it almost worked, just a little binding at the top knuckle. I pulled the linkage out, used my air dremel to smooth down the edges of the knuckle to gain clearance for more range of motion.
    I put it back in and its perfect!! This was a slam dunk to install in the car, by far the easiest swap of custom work I have done to date. I am doing the E36 M3 front brakes aswell, which is going fine, just need longer bolts now to install the 17" fikse profil10's I bought.
    Anyhow, if anyone is interested to see what I did, I will be getting some pics uploaded when I get my camera hooked up. I will post them up then. My wheels are 17x8 and 17x9 with 225/45's in front, 255/40's in back.
    PICS:
    Entire linkage shown here:

Close-up of the knuckle and how it was modified:

Whole rack installed.

My new Fikse's with 12.5" Brembo rotors, rebuilt calipers, brass guide bushings and soon to be painted silver E36 M3 calipers...
    Last edited by M3 Ryan; 07-10-2005, 12:02 PM.
    Ryan G. MotorWorks

'72 2002tii Inka/Black (Restoring- then FS)
    '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
    '04 Mini Cooper S 6spd White/Black
    http://www.ryangmw.com

wow looks like your little "refresh" is going off without a hitch. i know you yanked your motor to do some other things.. but is it a huge PITA to replace the rack with the motor in the car? this is an interesting mod, and i would definetly like to see some pics when you get them!
    1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

No, you can do it with the motor installed without too many problems, but if you need to make something custom in the linkage then it would be pretty annoying to do...
      I also installed a mono-wiper while I had the engine out, its a good thing to do without the motor in the car as there is a lot more room to work in there...
      Ryan G. MotorWorks

Comment

Ryan,

Did you install any spacers? If not the rack will hit the oil pan when you reinstall the motor. You will also need to bend one of the lines.

Jordan
        "Never lift"

Comment

do you think that there will be better performance in doing this?

Comment

where did you obtain the spacers to use for the e36 m3 brakes?

M3 E30 | 318Ti Sport | 190E-16V

Comment

Originally posted by jordantii
              Ryan,

Did you install any spacers? If not the rack will hit the oil pan when you reinstall the motor. You will also need to bend one of the lines.

Jordan
              Yea, I shimmed the top of the rack so its all the way down in the subframe. I bent one of the lines to fit better and it's all good now. Pretty strightforward swap, although I don't know of anyone else who has done it this way...
              I got the brake spacers from Adam F. at SBI. he is on the forum here.
              The performance gain from the rack is that it is 3.0 turns lock to lock instead of the standard 3.5 or 4.0 with a non-m E30. This is just way too much effort at the wheel to turn the car, IMHO.
              Ryan G. MotorWorks

Comment

That is great Ryan. I have the same set up. I did the conversion from Zionsville. Cost more than yours, unfortunately....

I have a question for you. On my set up the passenger tie rod has less threads showing than the drivers side. I know the rack does not have the centering mark in the same location as the e30 rack. It is more towards the drivers side. Do you have the same situation?

Thanks

Jordan

Oh by the way, this is a great mod for our cars!!
                "Never lift"

Comment

I just bolted my tire rods on as they were with my E30 rack. I will take it into work when its running and align it. THe rack needs to be aligned at the center mid point and then align the rods off of that. The tie rods should be damn near identical on each side, but I am not sure yet as I havn't done the alignment on it... I will post back and let you know.
                  I got the rack off of e-bay for $210 shipped. Free mods to make it fit, so yea it was cheaper than the $500 zionsville charges for the same thing...
                  Ryan G. MotorWorks

Comment

Originally posted by BMWwindout
                    do you think that there will be better performance in doing this?
                    yes, the ratio is much better on the e36 m3. and the brakes are a bit superior to ours.

ryan, looks great mang. love the rims and brakes. i plan on doing the rack soon also.
                    "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
                    "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
                    onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

How do you like the wheels? i'm about to order the same wheels. are they close to the FM10's?i see you have the stagger size who was your contact at fikse? do they have the deep look?
                      thanks
                      :woohoo:

Comment

Ryan-

I'm planning on doing the E36 M3 brakes on my car as well. I have Fikse FM10s, but in 17x7.5 wrapped in 235/40/17 all around as compared to your 17x8 with 225/45 in the front.

With the spacer being used the in the front to push the brake rotors out for clearance, does this also greatly affect the rim/wheel, pushing it past the fender?

TIA
                        - Ryan

PS I still can't find any definitive difference between the FM10 and the Profil10 HAHA! maybe the angle of the spokes? None the less still one of my favorite rims. Light, strong, racing looks, but based on your finish preference, also has a tasteful amount of bling factor. Driving around Newport/Laguna Beach with the Benzes, I still get some nice stares
                        Last edited by AutoM3otives; 07-11-2005, 12:18 AM.

M3 E30 | 318Ti Sport | 190E-16V

Comment

Im going to do Z3 1.9l as its 2.7 lock to lock.

A

[email protected] | H23-is | S14 | Ceccoto #270

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Ryan
                            I just bolted my tire rods on as they were with my E30 rack. I will take it into work when its running and align it. THe rack needs to be aligned at the center mid point and then align the rods off of that. The tie rods should be damn near identical on each side, but I am not sure yet as I havn't done the alignment on it... I will post back and let you know.
                            I got the rack off of e-bay for $210 shipped. Free mods to make it fit, so yea it was cheaper than the $500 zionsville charges for the same thing...
                            I know I got a little raped on the kit. But they do provide a new knuckle that is CNC'd IIRC.

Let me know what you finde with the alignment and where you found the centering mark on the rack.

Thanks

Jordan
                            "Never lift"

Comment

Originally posted by Demlotcrew
                              Im going to do Z3 1.9l as its 2.7 lock to lock.

A
                              correct me if i'm wrong here but just because 'this' rack has 2.7 turns on a Z3 dosn't mean it will be the same on a e30 as the steering arms are different lengths... I

Comment

Working...
                              X