No announcement yet.

Orange County guys.... alignment shop??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange County guys.... alignment shop??

Hey guys, just got new front tires and I don't want to ruin them running a poor alignment. Wondering if anyone has good experience in the Orange County area with a shop that can do a good alignment (adjusting the caster as well with the GC plates). The reason I didn't have the tire shop do it is because they're a bunch of guys with no experience adjusting a car with camber/caster plates. -Had a great shop in Santa Barbara, but that's in Santa Barbara (Superior Brake and Alignment, in Goleta -ask for Don or Bob, they race, they know alignments!)

But anyways, if anyone had their car (with GC plates) aligned somewhere in OC please let me know. Thanks!

-and yes, I "had" to get 225/45 17's up front because Kumho MX's (I had essentially new ones in the rear) didn't come in 225/40 or 235/40, and yes, rubbing sucks, big time.
    Will.
    1989 M3
    1972 2002

I've had the opposite experience at Superior Brake...twice!

First, they read out-of-spec. camber on one of the rear corners of my Passat, which I then personally corrected with a tapered shim, only to discover later that that tire was wearing badly. I then had it realigned at another shop which showed camber had originally been in spec., so I had to remove the shim. No further uneven tire wear.

Secondly, Superior managed to badly gouge one of my brand new ATS 2-piece wheels during tire mounting. After farming it out to a wheel refinishing shop in L.A. for repair, Don insisted that they were not responsible for the cost of repair and would not compromise! Without a doubt the most unprofessional, incompetent shop I have ever experienced.

I don't know if there is a Big Brand Tire in you area, but I've been impressed with their corporate attitude of staying current with the very latest equipment...Hunter GSP9000 balancer, Hunter 811 alignment rack and european tire mounting equipment. My local store is very well managed and focused on quality work (don't know if that's luck or corporate policy also). BTW, when I had Superior align my E36 M3, they said "Rear camber shows out-of-spec. because its supposed to be measured with weight on the seats and trunk, but we don't do that". I asked Big Brand how they check BMW rear camber and they said they add the correct weight to the front/rear seats and trunk.
    Last edited by Cbell; 07-12-2005, 12:53 AM.

Comment

You might find out if any shop in your area uses Hunter WinAlign Tuner alignment software. This is very very trick stuff and, for modified suspensions, gives the tech the ability to correct or compensate for bump steer, excessive scrub radius, unequal ride height and can even specify custom alignment settings based on tire pyrometer readings!

Comment

Originally posted by Cbell
        You might find out if any shop in your area uses Hunter WinAlign Tuner alignment software. This is very very trick stuff and, for modified suspensions, gives the tech the ability to correct or compensate for bump steer, excessive scrub radius, unequal ride height and can even specify custom alignment settings based on tire pyrometer readings!
        SICK!
        "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Comment

Interesting experience with Superior, my buddy and I have had nothing but great service and results from dealing with Don and Bob. He corner weighted my old e28, as well as my friend's e36 m3, and always gave us the alignment that we had asked for, and never damaged any one of the dozens of wheels they worked on for us. -I'm not saying they're error-free (we're humans afterall), but just noting my great experiences with them.

but back on topic, anybody with a good alignment shop in OC???
            Will.
            1989 M3
            1972 2002

Comment

Glenns Alighment in Costa Mesa. Talk to Russ (co-owner) - the best in OC!!
              sigpic

Comment

Bumping for new info!

Gentlemen, can you please post current favorite alignment shops in OC?

Archie recommends Becker tire in Orange, btw.
                John 3:17

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjacks1 View Post
                  Glenns Alighment in Costa Mesa. Talk to Russ (co-owner) - the best in OC!!
                  Still the best - 2 or 4 wheel Allignment !
                  sigpic

Comment

Another vote for Glenn's Alignment in Costa Mesa, CA.
                    Andy W.

Comment

Since there is really just one adjustment, are there reasons why you like the shops that you recommend? What, in your opinion separates the great alignment shops from the mediocre?

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                        Since there is really just one adjustment, are there reasons why you like the shops that you recommend? What, in your opinion separates the great alignment shops from the mediocre?
                        The quality & precision of the equipment as well as the technicians familiarity & hours logged on that equipment. It also helps if the customer is familiar with his car & if he wants the car set-up at other than factory specs & the reason why. The technician can explain the different behavior you get with zero tow vs. neg. 2 etc.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cactusjacks1 View Post
                          The quality & precision of the equipment as well as the technicians familiarity & hours logged on that equipment. It also helps if the customer is familiar with his car & if he wants the car set-up at other than factory specs & the reason why. The technician can explain the different behavior you get with zero tow vs. neg. 2 etc.
                          That makes sense, Jack. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X