Badge questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badge questions

I'm planning on putting the M3 badge back on the trunklid of my car.

I noticed that several versions of the M badge have been made over the years. There's the old school one on our cars, and then there's the new curvy shaped style for the e46/e39 M's.

Just wondering if anyone here upgraded to the newer badges when they received a paint job, or if some people still opted to have the original style.

Also, concering the front grille badge. Mine's pretty beat up. It's still in solid shape, just the "M 3" all scuffed up; this I can repair myself. The stripe sticker is my concern. Anyone know where I can get a new sticker of this size to put on, or know of anyone who reproduced one on a computer that I can get one from.

Many thanks.
    Ryan
    Last edited by AutoM3otives; 07-19-2005, 03:26 PM.

M3 E30 | 318Ti Sport | 190E-16V

IMHO, the latter M badges are too round and soft in their appearance for such a angular car like the E30 M3. I have seen them on the car though, perhaps search google to see if you can find a pic. I dont remember seeing any posted here.

I think a sign shop may be your best bet for stripe colors in vinyl. They may even give you a small amount since thats all you will need.

Comment

Stick with the original badges... Otherwise it looks Ricer...
      1990 BMW M3
      1988 Lamborghini Countach
      2004 Mercedes Benz S500 Lorinser
      2005 Mercedes Benz ML 500
      2006 Mercedes Benz ML 500

Comment

Since we are on the issue of badges, can someone tell me if our trunk roundels are supposed to have a penny sized piece of putty at the top and bottom of the emblem?
        '87 325
        '88 M3
        '97 Dinan 328i

Comment

Originally posted by Alecs MacDonald
          Since we are on the issue of badges, can someone tell me if our trunk roundels are supposed to have a penny sized piece of putty at the top and bottom of the emblem?
          Uh.... NO!

They are held on by two grommets that fit over two pegs on the badge that fit into two holes in the trunk... You have to use some force to get em in... Youll know when youre there...

My guess is, if you pry that roundell off, youll find that the jackhole who put it on there didnt use the grommets... Probably bought a new badge and didnt bother to buy the grommets... A buck (maybe?) from the dealer.
          Last edited by RomanDad; 07-19-2005, 04:09 PM.
          1990 BMW M3
          1988 Lamborghini Countach
          2004 Mercedes Benz S500 Lorinser
          2005 Mercedes Benz ML 500
          2006 Mercedes Benz ML 500

Comment

Thats strange, I am replacing it with a new bavauto badge and it wont sit correctly without the putty. It fits into the grommets just fine, but it it rocks backinforth on the top and bottom. Wierd.
            '87 325
            '88 M3
            '97 Dinan 328i

Comment

Use putty/ sillicone as needed... The plastic grommets do not hold as well as the OG rubber.
              Also, you may live in an area with a lot of kids that love to swipe them. No consequences.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Thanks, that makes me feel better.
                '87 325
                '88 M3
                '97 Dinan 328i

Comment

I searched around the forums looking for an answer to my question and this thread seemed to be the closest thing.

How do you mount the m3 badge to the front. I got the brand new badge but didnt see how to mount it to the grille. My car didnt come with a badge in the front when I bought it so id like to replace that.

If somone could tell me how to mount it that would help out a lot!

-Thanks
                  1988 BMW M3
                  FOWLER AUTOMOTIVE
                  BMW and OTHER OEM PARTS SUPPLIER!!!!! PM FOR QUOTE
                  Compterized SF 600 SuperFlow Air Flow Testing
                  Sonic testing, repairs and rebuilding of heads and blocks.
                  www.FowlerAutomotive.com

Comment

Alecs: are you sure you did not order the badge from the normal E30? The normal E30 had a curve trunk.
                    blackcoat: your front badge should has 2 tabs for bend in and hold the badge to the grill.
                    Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                    Born date 01/88
                    Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by RomanDad View Post
                      Uh.... NO!

They are held on by two grommets that fit over two pegs on the badge that fit into two holes in the trunk... You have to use some force to get em in... Youll know when youre there...

My guess is, if you pry that roundell off, youll find that the jackhole who put it on there didnt use the grommets... Probably bought a new badge and didnt bother to buy the grommets... A buck (maybe?) from the dealer.
                      Wrong. EDIT:*Nevermind...not the right time or place*

95% of al M3's I've ever seen when replacing the trunk badge have those 2 spots of putty on the top & bottom, that includes 2 bone stock sub 30k mile cars I've seen.

-Chris
                      Last edited by UNHCLL; 05-16-2007, 03:39 AM.
                      Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Ryan,
                        Are you still in OC? If yes, stop by so I can give you some vinyl sticker material that you can cut to make the M strips.
                        Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                        Born date 01/88
                        Ryan

Comment

the putty is there to stop the rocking(and eventual breakage of the pins).
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X