Blew my head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blew my head gasket

Over the past couple days my car started consuming coolant at an alarming rate. At first I thought I just had a coolant hose leak somewhere, but the other night after I got home and I turned and looked back at my car I saw white smoke/steam coming from the tailpipes. Not good. Also, on cold starts, it would run very rought for about 5-10 seconds and then smooth out.

So I figured since I'm going to be pulling the head, I might as well do some mild and "somewhat" inexpensive mods to the motor while its apart. I don't want to do anything wild to it, yet, mainly since I need to get out of college first. What do you guys reccommend I do to get some extra hp out of it? I was thinking maybe an EVO 2 or 3 cam upgrade and springs. Should the head be shaved any before I reinstall it?
    Last edited by Jonathan 90 M3; 12-25-2002, 10:08 AM.

Yea, sounds like a head gasket. It is not a cheap repair. If you are on a budget, the cams alone will run you a little over $1000. You only need to get the head milled if it is out of spec. You don't know that untill you take it off. There may be a little more damage there that you don't know about.

Find out what is wrong with your car first, then worry about upgrades! Try not to do a cam upgrade on a tight budget! Save up and do it right.

Do not click
    At least it's German

Comment

Yeah I am definitely not going to buy any mods until I know everything that needs to be fixed on the motor. I am willing to spend the money for cams, I just meant I wasn't going to be doing any major head porting, bigger valves, or 2.5 stroker kits. Ireland Engineering sells these Schrick cams for $1060 "There are 2 grinds available. The first is 276 degree duration with 11.3mm lift, and the second is 284 duration with 11.5mm lift. They are priced as a pair." These along with some upgraded springs would be a nice upgrade, right? Suggestions?

Comment

Also, what company has the best price for new valvesprings? So far, i've found motorsportimports.com to have the best price at $399.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan 90 M3
          Also, what company has the best price for new valvesprings? So far, i've found motorsportimports.com to have the best price at $399.
          I have a brand new set of E3 motorsport valve springs for sale $340 (set of 16).

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Its not too hard

If you are mechanically inclined do it yourself...im doing it for a second time right now...

Its a lot scarier than it sounds....well ok its pretty scary...but not too bad...

Make sure you have the head tested for warpage and cracks while its off....and DRAIN YOUR OIL ASAP....coolant will f'-up your bearings right quick...

Im doing with e3 intake and e2 exh cams and getting the head redon at the mchenry's(ported and shite)

REELIZMPRO....im interested in those springs...email me

[email protected]

ADA///M

Comment

yeah Adam didnt you just replace it last year?? what happpened??

kramer
              I miss my ///M3

Comment

Well

This is what i can figure...

The head must be slightly warped(i didnt check last time)...so the new gasket only held up as long as it could last time....oh well

Its all getting re-done now

Comment

If you take it to a shop, it's going to be a lot, just to have it fixed to stock, mine costed over $4,000, I had to have my head repaired. I also had replaced the chain, and all the rails.

Comment

Originally posted by Cone
                    If you take it to a shop, it's going to be a lot, just to have it fixed to stock, mine costed over $4,000, I had to have my head repaired. I also had replaced the chain, and all the rails.
                    i did the same job without having to have the head repaired (including chain and such) and it was about 2500 CAD so cone isnt kidding when he says its expencive if you dont do it yourself.

looks better than it runs :/

Comment

Working...
                    X