Shady Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shady Sale

So I am all set to have an 89 with 90k miles in really nice shape for $10,000 looked at today by my dealer. The guy I am looking to buy it from seems awful nice and very up front. Then my buddy gets me the Carfax report. SALVAGE title from 2 states ago due to accident that exceeds the value of the car! Man, I am a little fired up, all the guy had to do was tell me and I would have been ok with it, I wouldn't buy it for 10 but ok with it. I am not sure if it has a salvage title in my state or not, he never showed it to me. The car had a little bondo on one rear quarter panel that I thought might not be that big of a deal and it was done pretty perfectly. I am just bummed to start the search all over again. I was ready to drop the 10 for it but now with the salvage title, what do you guys think it's worth? Tough question I know without seeing it.

sounds like you are desperate and trying to talk yourself into it. First off...there is no such thing as a "perfect" bondo joby if you can TELL that there is bondo present. You would never even know if a car had bondo on/in it if it was done right. Second....the mere fact that he DIDN'T tell you about the salvage title is grounds for a "no go." He was hoping that he could get $10K for a car that's *maybe* worth half.

Comment

You might be right about the desperate part, but he actually told me about the Bondo, I really loved this car. The "no go" is definitely where I am headed. I am going to ask him about the title though and see what he says. It will let me know a little more about his character. Thanks for the input.

Comment

So, just talked with him, he had no idea it was a salvage in another state. The title in my state is a clean title. So now he is going to put it on ebay. He didn't take my offer of 5k so that is that with that car. I guess someone will buy it. He said he would let it be known on Ebay that it was a salvage title though. So that tells me something about him. I think he expects to get somewhere around 8 or 9 on ebay. Good luck!!

Comment

never gonna happen if somebody sees the word "salvage." It depends on when this happened too b/c if it's closer to the purchase date of the car....chances are that the accident was worse...unibody tweaked rails heavily damaged...etc...etc. I, myself, would NEVER buy a "salvage" titled car for the mere fact that you don't know and the sole motivation for the seller is to get as much money as possible for something that isn't worth shit even if that means spending a grand or so to make the car driveable at first to the naked eye. For every honest guy there are 10 schiester's out there.
          Last edited by ///Mflossin; 08-09-2005, 02:13 AM.

Comment

It happened in 91 which means the damage was huge! The car was sold in 90 so I can't imagine the extent of the damage. He said it must have been a great fix then because it has held up for 14 years. Yeah, wasn't sure about that comment but hey, it's his car and if he thinks he can get more for it than what I offered, so be it. I will watch for it on ebay though, might be a nice track car......

Comment

If it happened in 91 and was purchased in 90...I would have to wage a guess that the damage was at or around 15K or more considering the tag on the car after a year's depreciation must've been in the high 20's low 30's

Comment

Hey Duces -- Is the car in Pittsburgh? The history sounds like a car in Phoenix that was eBayed unsucessfully a couple of times in the pst few months -- salvage title from Oklahoma, I believe. The car was advertised on eBay as having a salvage title.

More generally, don't give up and don't settle. Even though Pittsburgh seems like an E30 M3 desert, there are good cars out there even fairly close to home. I bought a pristine '90 from a guy in the North Hills a year ago and just picked up a '90 autocross/track machine from a guy in Akron in July -- after trying to talk myself into a few cars that probably would have been disasters. It takes time, patience and luck, but it's worth it to get the right car.

Comment

Slowguy, no the car is in Cranberry and someone brought it to him from Indiana. Yeah, it feels like a desert all right here in the burgh. If you hear of anything please let me know. And thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

Will do, Duces. I hadn't heard of that car. I've stopped buying up all the M3s in a 250 mile radius (I think), so someone else should should get a turn now.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the oppurtunity. :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X