Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird problem, please help

helly follow m3 enthusiasts,

I have a weird issue with the car that some of might have thoughs on.

I was driving on a highway in 5th gear, stuck behind a slow car. The car moved to the right so I downshifted to 4th and accelerated full thottle. At about 6Krpms I suddenly lost power. It wasn't a complete cuttoff but felt more like the thottle cable went loose. Eventually the car didn't pull at all, I pulled to the side. The car idles fine but as soon as I give it some gas it seems to hesitate when the engine goes above 1.5k rpm. I sat on the side kind of afraid to shut the car off in case it never starts again. in about 1 minute of so I could again rev the engine all the way up and all the power was back.. I got going again.

closer to my house on a highway I did the same experiment, full throttle up to the red line, same thing happened at certain rpms the engine lost power but still idled fine.

This time I shut the engine off. Started back up immidietly and it ran fine again..

Does this sound like a computer issue?

I mean if there was mechanical, fuel deliver, ignition a basic restart would not fix it right?

Please if you have any constructive thoughs let me know

thanks

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

btw.. sorry for all the misspelled words I was in a rush while typing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Noro, you describe a similar event with my car which did turn out to be the ECU? (I was shown a burnt out ECU by water ingress). My car acted in a similar fashion, but would not exceed more than about 2-3000rpm....I likened it to a 'get you home mode'.

Anyway, the best way to check if it was the ECU is to find another owner who is willing to swap ECU's or have a spare for you to check with!

As you mention that it happens at high revs, I do wonder if it could be the dizzie cap/rotor/coil/leads system. If these items have not been changed in a while it would do the car good to get them done anyway.

Good Luck, I am curious about this too!
      Phil
      E30 M3 - The Original Inspiration

Comment

i've been chasing a similar intermittent problem, you can find my posts on here somewhere. recently i was experiencing a hesitation and hard starting. took off my 1month old coil and put back on my "bad" original coil and the car has been fine ever since. i've also found corrosion in my tank so that might be contributing to it.

with the little information you supplied i'd first look at:
        flywheel sensors
        ignition coil
        distributor cap and rotor
        plugs and wires
        fuel pressure regulator
        fuel pumps

is this at all throttle positions? all gears? what engine operating temp? fuel level?
        James
        sigpic

Comment

Noro,
          If it's only happening at WOT it could be the TPS.

It's easy enough to check. I have a ton of spares including a TPS and ECU at my place. If you want to try swapping them out your more than welcome to come by this weekend. Give me a call.
          -Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Mick
            Noro,
            If it's only happening at WOT it could be the TPS.

It's easy enough to check. I have a ton of spares including a TPS and ECU at my place. If you want to try swapping them out your more than welcome to come by this weekend. Give me a call.
            -Mick
            Mick,
            it would be a great help if I could leverage your knowledge and spare parts.

I am going to be gone for two weeks, you think we can do this sometime in september?

What's odd about this problem is the fact when the engine is in this "bad" mode a very little input from the pedal will rev the engine up to 1.5 2 krpms but a little more unput simply drops the engine back to idle.

The reason why I am excluding the TPS out is because when I push the pedal all the way but RPMS are not build up yet it pulls fine.. as soon as it hits a certain high rpm this problem turns itself on. The TPS output is not rpm related correct. But them again maybe the extrieme vibration of the engine itself at higher rpms coause the TPS to do this... oh some many things to check

in any case If you are up to it then I could use your help

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Working...
            X