Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race exhausts, Y pipes and stuff.

Hey All,,,
    My exhaust on my silver car has given up the ghost at the last Time Trial I just ran.
    It broke right at the connection from the header flange to the X pipe.
    Basicallly it just broke at the weld-attachment there at the flange.
    I had used an old stock sectioned exhaust X pipe, then cut off after the exit of the X,,, into a collector into 2.5 pipe on back.

So I am needing to buy / build / make a new exhaust.
    I am thinking of this time starting with a Burns Y pipe, into 2.5" pipe, on back to my Flowmaster race muffler in the stock location.

Has anyone ever purchased a Burns Y pipe into 2.5" collector as opposed to the more standard 3"?

Does Burns have a standard header flange template, or only the big E3 flange?

I am going to call them tomorrow, but if anyone has any insight, tidbits, other vendors for S14 Y pipes, etc,,, I'm open.

Actually I'm kind of wide open on this, I've had that exhaust on there since I first bought the car, so I have not figured too much about changing it, I couldn't imagine it ever breaking it was so simple,,, but Pocono is bumpy I guess, the car is very low, pretty stiff, its met the ground a few times,,, it has lived a pretty hard life. It owes me nothing.

So if anyone has any cool race (Race,,, no street, no compromises ) exhaust suggestions for a hotted up 2.3,,, 2.3,,,, 2.3... (no sewer pipes haha),,, I'm all ears.
    Cheers
    jimmy

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber Race
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    01 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Hey Jimmy,

I bought a header flange from VAC and brought it to Burns. I told them what I needed and they built the Y pipe using the flange as the starting point.

One note to flange buyers: VAC advertises on their website that their flange is designed to mate up with the EVO 3 header. Mine at least did not. The design looked like it was built for Euro non-cat or the 2pc header. I had to bore out the ports and enlarge holes to fit header/ypipe bolts.

Comment

Jimmy, I sent you an email regarding this.

Mike

Comment

Jimmy,

I have a stock header on my car, so when time came to build my 3" exhaust, I made a pattern of the flange and made my own out of 3/8" plate. The "y" legs were 15 degree 304S bought from Burns, and they merge with a 2.5" to 3" Burns cone. Of course you could just as easily stay at 2.5" diameter if you wanted to...

Anyway, it was fun to do the fitting and finally mig-ing it together with 308 wire and proper gas mix.

Good luck!

Anders

Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dinan2.5
          Jimmy,

I have a stock header on my car, so when time came to build my 3" exhaust, I made a pattern of the flange and made my own out of 3/8" plate. The "y" legs were 15 degree 304S bought from Burns, and they merge with a 2.5" to 3" Burns cone. Of course you could just as easily stay at 2.5" diameter if you wanted to...

Anyway, it was fun to do the fitting and finally mig-ing it together with 308 wire and proper gas mix.

Good luck!

Anders

Wow Anders. Nice Job!

Love the exhaust hangers...

Gustave

Comment

Thanks Gustave,

Your work was my inspiration, as it is to a lot of other people on this forum...

Anders

ps. please update your website, I'm going into withdrawals from lack of new, cool articles
            Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

That is a really,really, really lovely exhaust. Quality workmanship

The only very minor thing I'm not convinced about is the single tail pipe but the twin pipe is for looks and this is for performance
              Kevin
              Cecotto/Ravaglia Register.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinan2.5
                ps. please update your website, I'm going into withdrawals from lack of new, cool articles
                How about an article discussing selection of MIL spec aircraft circular connectors for a wiring harness. That is what I've been grappling with the last few days. My goodness, the government sure knows how to make things confusing!

Gustave

Comment

Kevin, twin pipes is not for looks and I dont believe anyone has claimed they are.
                  Anyone can build an exhaust, and it can also look pretty, but it is hard to build
                  and exhaust to make more power for your engine. Several iterations are usually involved and
                  so a bit of trial an error, unless you copy an existing setup.
                  So at the end of the day, just ask people how many times
                  they redid their exhaust during tuning and you have your answer.

and then we have the track worthiness problem...
                  I have had problems there too, Im fairly convinced you can break almost all
                  exhaust setups if youve got the right engine in front of it and driving hard enough
                  and the Nordschleife is particularly an exhaust killer.
                  If TUEV didnt give me so much crap, then Id long have my decoupled exhaust setup,
                  which I told Jimmy today on the SIG. That is the END of cracked exhausts.

John

Comment

Working...
                  X