Extrude honing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extrude honing

I am thinking about having my stock exhaust manifold extrude honed. Has anyone had any experience with this? It looks like it can the increase flow area and also clean up and smooth out the surface. I wanted to do this and then take It to have the out side jet hot coated. Do you think it is worth the money?

Thanks

I don't think it would be worth the money. The exhaust manifold is basically a bent tube anyway, so I don't see what the extrude hone could improve, not in a measurable way anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead
      I don't think it would be worth the money. The exhaust manifold is basically a bent tube anyway, so I don't see what the extrude hone could improve, not in a measurable way anyhow.
      Agreed, I think extrude honing MIGHT have some affect on cast exhaust manifolds (like E30 M20, or early E36), but nothing on a tubular header like the E30 M3 has.

Comment

Agreed also.
        spend the money on a factory set with larger diameter primaries.
        If it was a thick rough old cast iron manifold, then it would be worth it.
        The header is already optimised for id and flow.
        The abrasive in the extrusion may compromise the weld quality on a compnent that is rather thin in material thickness.
        m

Comment

Working...
        X